Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any new regulation that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Are there any new regulation that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Hello all.

As per the subject line - are there any new regulations that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Also, I know that Canada Post has a reputation of being problematic - are there any viable alternatives e.g. Purlator?

Many thanks

ATTENTION RECENT CHANGES
    Canada Gazette, Part 1, Volume 155, Number 26: Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made Under the Firearms Act
    https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2021/.../reg5-eng.html

CGN Regular TragicallyHipGrandpa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Martini View Post
    Also, I know that Canada Post has a reputation of being problematic - are there any viable alternatives e.g. Purlator?

Many thanks
    I would argue against Canada Post having a problematic reputation.
    I have bought and sold several unrestricted and restricted with CP and never had any issues.
    A SnapShip account makes it even easier and you don't have to be a small business owner to open a free account. Tracking is spot-on, delivery times have been great. It's just so convenient. I've never considered changing shipping methods.
    IMO. YMMV.
    No dress rehearsal; this is our life.
    Member CCFR, NFA, CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bogusiii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Martini View Post
    Hello all.

As per the subject line - are there any new regulations that pertain to privatley selling a NR firearm?

Many thanks
    Yes, the beginning of the new registry that isn't a registry. Transfer of a non restricted now requires a call to and a verification number from the Canadian Firearms Centre where of course the vendor, purchaser and, if they can force it out of you, the firearms particulars will be recorded. Should you have a firearm, or no longer have one and can't show your transfer number you are a criminal. Recall there is proof the old registry records (that were to be destroyed by law) still exist so be warned...no funny business. But this is not a registry. Our friendly, ethical and always believable Liberals said so.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bogusiii View Post
    Yes, the beginning of the new registry that isn't a registry. Transfer of a non restricted now requires a call to and a verification number from the Canadian Firearms Centre where of course the vendor, purchaser and, if they can force it out of you, the firearms particulars will be recorded. Should you have a firearm, or no longer have one and can't show your transfer number you are a criminal. Recall there is proof the old registry records (that were to be destroyed by law) still exist so be warned...no funny business. But this is not a registry. Our friendly, ethical and always believable Liberals said so.
    All of this....
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

CGN frequent flyer
    No, Part I of the Canada Gazette is only proposed regulations. If it isn't published in Part II it is not in force.

You may still transfer non-restricted firearms following the Firearms act.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bogusiii View Post
    The old registry has stopped tracking ownership when, around mid-2013 (plus maybe a few registration here and there from gun community back-stabbing businesses) ? That's still almost a solid 8 years of "void" where transfers can't be tracked. Not to mention boating accidents...

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by essorx View Post
    The old registry has stopped tracking ownership when, around mid-2013 (plus maybe a few registration here and there from gun community back-stabbing businesses) ? That's still almost a solid 8 years of "void" where transfers can't be tracked. Not to mention boating accidents...
    even if your firearm is from these void years, any contact with any licensed business (store, gunsmith, etc) for any type of work (warranty, repairs, installs, etc) will be recorded now
    and its ownership tracking enabled ..
    If a politician’s life is worth armed guards, why aren't our children's lives worth the ability for us to give them the same level of protection?

Quote Originally Posted by chillyrabbit View Post
    No, Part I of the Canada Gazette is only proposed regulations. If it isn't published in Part II it is not in force.

Canada Gazette, Part II, Volume 155, Number 14

Registration
    SI/2021-35 July 7, 2021

AN ACT TO AMEND CERTAIN ACTS AND REGULATIONS IN RELATION TO FIREARMS

https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2021/...-tr35-eng.html

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bogusiii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyrabbit View Post

What then is the significance of the July 7 date then? Regardless, it appears the CFC is asking for transfer numbers and asking about what is being transferred. It that legit? Are they anticipating the change are responding to it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast