CGN Treasure Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier Firearms

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 99.2%
367   3   0
A few times in the last number of years we have offered this event. Inserted within one of our website products will be a highly discounted item(Ex 60% off sks rifle). There will be a code word within the product cadegory that you will have to look for. Once you found the code word, the first to check out has the option to purchase the discounted item. We plan on doing this again this week. what day of the week and time of day would work best for those who want to participate? Keep in mind there is over 4 hours of difference in time coast to coast.

Last edited:
Can I just make a small request?

If an item or listing is being updated to include the codeword, then a sufficiently tech-savvy person can just monitor your website for most recent updated page at or around the time of the contest, and then find the item from among that much smaller list.

It might be better to pick a code word that is already a part of a target item's page so that there is no need to update a page and thus tip off someone monitoring for updates?

Unsure if this works for you guys in the back-end, just something I always thought was a little exploitable.

Can I just make a small request?

If an item or listing is being updated to include the codeword, then a sufficiently tech-savvy person can just monitor your website for most recent updated page at or around the time of the contest, and then find the item from among that much smaller list.

It might be better to pick a code word that is already a part of a target item's page so that there is no need to update a page and thus tip off someone monitoring for updates?

Unsure if this works for you guys in the back-end, just something I always thought was a little exploitable.

Ok but how does it works if nothing changed anywhere, what do you need to find?

Ok but how does it works if nothing changed anywhere, what do you need to find?

Yeah you make a good point. I think it's almost impossible to avoid two avenues of technical exploitation for this contest.
1. Querying and monitoring the website's directory itself for newly uploaded image files, then finding the host page that way.
2. Searching the website's directory for a given codeword, whatever it is new or old, and then pulling up the pages that way.

One possible method that would foil those tactics (but is quite an undertaking) would be to make the codeword/codeimage changes on a local cache of the website directory, then use an order randomizer when uploading the local cache and overwrite the entire hosted website directory. This would essentially hide the codeword/codeimage update somewhere in the middle of the overwrite.

Totally impractical though. We can probably just agree to not be jerks about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom