Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819202122232426 ... LastLast

Thread: New NR R18MK2 from Sterling

CGN Regular
    I too expect they will be quality. If theyre released this year I may end up buying one as Im in the market for a new MSR. Here's to hoping it lives up the SAIs other quality rifles!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstickpilot View Post
    Drat! I read it as "New Sterlings!!" Imagine my disappointment.....
    Yeah man. These are cool but if they started making the TSR receivers again, Id buy 3.

I had one, sold it and I regret that #### every day. Now people want $5000 for a sterling and my broke ass cant afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by leonard_e View Post
    5 minutes Turkish
    It was two minutes five minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    What make and twist barrel?
    What ammo are you using to test for accuracy?
    Any chance you could try Nosler 55g Balistic tips and Hornady Superformance 53 g ?
    Full Barrel details will be forthcoming in a week, however for now suffice it to say that they are Sterling Barrels, with a 1:8 twist. Button-rifled, air-gauged, stress-relieved, etc. Longitudinally fluted from the Gas Block to the Muzzle Brake for enhanced rigidity and quicker cooling. I will divulge the additional "secret sauce" that Mr. Cox employed in the barrel manufacturing process, in my review next week...

Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady Superformance are not cheap ammo. So, sure I will happily test them - so long as you are paying! I will provide my email address for EMT ammo payment, otherwise, you get what I happen to have on-hand:

- PMC X-Tac 55gr Ball
    - Bulk 62Gr M855 Green Tip
    - Federal American Eagle 62 Gr Green Tip (Light Armour Piercing)
    - Swiss GP 90 63gr "Match" Ball
    - IVI 77gr Ball

I won't have any Barnaul Steel-Cased ammo on-hand for my intial review, but hope to acquire some from a friend by the time of my first update in roughy a month's time.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-01-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    Mark C

I'm interested to hear how it shakes out. Sorry if this has been asked already, but do we know what kind of aluminum the receiver is made out of? Probably not 7075, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPrime View Post
    I'm interested to hear how it shakes out. Sorry if this has been asked already, but do we know what kind of aluminum the receiver is made out of? Probably not 7075, eh?
    At the risk of slowly giving away my review piece by piece over the coming week, I will divulge that the R18’s Upper and Lower Receivers are fabricated from T6061 aluminum alloy, and not the harder T7075. I don’t have a dog in this fight and understand that there are pros and cons associated with the use of each material. At the end of the day, Mr Cox noted to me that T6061 is easier to cut and therefore requires less expensive machine time to fabricate each component. Added to that is his belief that the more ductile T6061 will withstand the explosive forces of a detonation out-of-battery better than the more brittle 7075-series counterpart. He may have a point there, not that anyone is anticipating breech explosions in the R18! A hard-coat anodizing process with enhance the surface hardness of the aluminum, providing a protective finish for the rifle.
    Mark C

Thanks Bartok!

Super GunNutz
    Would you use a scope with at least 8-9 power and shoot the two boxes after the initial sight in?

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    Would you use a scope with at least 8-9 power and shoot the two boxes after the initial sight in?
    Yes, I certainly would not zero nor chase the bullseye with premium ammo! That said, I suggest waiting for my initial review. The Swiss TP90 is pretty much match ammo, so should provide optimal group sizes. If the R18 Mk2 groups sub-MOA with either the GP90 or 77gr IVI ammo we will definitely have a winner on our hands.....
    Mark C

Super GunNutz
    You misunderstood or , more than likely,I said it wrong.. lol

I asked if you could sight in with a few rnds of whatever , then shoot a couple of five rnd groups with each of the cartridges I mentioned.
    It’s what I use and I think if the gun can shoot that MOA , then I’m interested.

I’m sure most folks will use these for comp? Where accuracy don’t matter as much?
    I’m more of a wanna be bullseye hunter.. ha ha

If you could do that, I’ll donate the two box’s of bullets.

And if not, no worries, I can always wait until someone eventually tests it out.
    I’m looking forward to your review anyway.