Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: New NR R18MK2 from Sterling

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Since the OIC I've only bought 1 firearm. I used to spend a small fortune on firearms but most of what interested me was banned and I knid of lost interest. BUT I've been following this and can honestly say that I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Hopefully it's everything I think it's going to be and helps me get back in the mood again.

Oh and I almost forgot.....
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I would go to sleep a happy man if i see these pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Red_Rabbit View Post
    I would go to sleep a happy man if i see these pictures!
    same! Im super pumped! If not its something to look forward to tomorrow :D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    I am very interested in reading your thorough review.

CGN Regular
    Dont worry guys. Pics and reviews will be here soon.

Well, I promised a pic, so here it is. The R18 Mk2 is 100% manufactured in Canada by a subsidiary Canadian branch of Sterling Arms International (SAI). Every part on the rifle is sourced from Canadian sub-contractors. Hence some of the recent supply chain issues that have plagued production and slowed the launch. However, the time has finally arrived and you can expect the R18 Mk2 to start trickling out (initially) for sale as early as late next week, with production speeding up as subcontractors upgrade their CNC Machining capability and capacity. This is 100% a Sterling Arms International project with heavy design input from JR Cox and others. Canadian distribution and sales will be the exclusive domain of The Shooting Edge in Calgary, and Target Sports in Gormley, ON (The GTA).

Last edited by Bartok5; 11-04-2021 at 01:58 AM.
    Mark C

Just kidding! Here is a teaser pic of the R18 Mk2's Right side. I am keeping the Left Side features close-hold until my review drops on Monday so that I have something interesting to reveal. Note the Trigger-Finger Bolt-Release lever. Note that this lever cannot be used to lock the Bolt to the Rear - that must be done either by using the conventional Bolt Catch on the Left Side of the rifle, or by an empty magazine.

My initial impressions are very positive. This rifle looks and feels like a well-designed, aeshetically and ergonomically pleasing firearm on par with other well-developed Modern Sporting Rifles (MSRs) and is light years more refined than the current AR-180B-derived designs on the market. I was pleasantly surprised by the perceived light weight of the basic rifle, although once fitted with BUIS, a VFG and a 1-10x 26mm Swampfox LPVO, it feels just like any other modestly-appointed MSR. The point of balance is immediately in front of the Magazine Well, just where you llke it. Although the Lower Receiver has familiar angles and contours, it is proprietary and will not mate with any other MSR. There is minor play between the Upper and Lower Receivers, just like your average AR15, however this has zero bearing on accuracy as all of the sighting and shooting is done with the Upper Receiver. There is a Tensioning Screw in the Lower Receiver which bears on the Upper to remove any slop, very similar to the system employed by Aero Precision.

The Mk2 lacks an Ejection Port Cover, whereas the Mk3 (forthcoming in several months) will have a Cover incorporated into the design in order to satisfy international LE expectations. Personally, I see no need whatsoever for such a device. The close seal between the Receiver side and the slab-sided Bolt Carrier is such that there is no opportunity for the ingress of foreign matter. The Ejection Port is effectively sealed against the elements just as it is. No need to unnecessarily complicate the design.

Note that the R18 Mk2 does NOT come with the Optic, VFG or Magpul MBUS Pro BUIS. Those are my enhancements for impending range work. Much more to follow in my Review.....

Last edited by Bartok5; 11-04-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    Mark C

CGN Regular
    What a beauty!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sinasta's Avatar
    How big is the bevel on the magazine well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinasta View Post
    How big is the bevel on the magazine well?
    About the same as an Aero Precision Mag Well.
    Mark C