Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: New NR R18MK2 from Sterling

um yes... that is what the cutout was for
    focus...commitment...sheer f#$*ing will.

Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    Awkward, for one I'm sorry I'm quite a clean freak and hate for my thumb to pick up all the carbon. Secondly after a few hundred rounds BCG at gas port gets quite toasty. But hey good for you. Love the emoji at the end.

And NO, the cutout isn't for you to push the BCG into the battery. Think again.
    ummmm no, actually he's 110% correct that cutout is the forward assist.

Eugene Stoner, the man who designed the rifle, said it was utterly unnecessary and that, during the millions of rounds fired during the development of the AR-10 and the AR-15, he never saw a situation arise that would have been solved by the FA. The U.S. Air Force pretty much said the same thing. About a thousand Colt AR-15s without a forward assist were used by South Vietnamese troops under U.S. advisors in 1962 before the adoption of the M16 and they did not report issues that would have been fixed by an FA.

You may have noticed an indent in the exposed side of every AR bolt carrier group. It’s visible in the ejection port when the gun is in battery. If there is no malfunction and you simply closed the bolt slowly and the round isn’t fully seated (most of the time, if the gun is clean and lubed, it will simply chamber no matter how slowly you do this) putting your thumb in this indent and pushing forward will allow the round to be fully seated, then you flip on the safety and close the dust cover. That’s why the indent is there.
    focus...commitment...sheer f#$*ing will.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shaft View Post
    ummmm no, actually he's 110% correct that cutout is the forward assist.

You may have noticed an indent in the exposed side of every AR bolt carrier group. It’s visible in the ejection port when the gun is in battery. If there is no malfunction and you simply closed the bolt slowly and the round isn’t fully seated (most of the time, if the gun is clean and lubed, it will simply chamber no matter how slowly you do this) putting your thumb in this indent and pushing forward will allow the round to be fully seated, then you flip on the safety and close the dust cover. That’s why the indent is there.
    That curve is to interact with the dust cover spring/detent housing. It will hit the detent housing as soon as the BCG has came back enough and bolt has been rotated fully.

Besides, if you have a smooth bolt with no cut out, where does that dustcover spring detent housing close on?

Besides #2, that curve is a horrible ergonomic design for your thumb to interact with, by now you'd think there would be other designs to improve the "pushability" for your thumb. Nope, they're all the exact curve... why?

See picture below:

Last edited by PinaKaleada; 09-10-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

CGN Regular
    Then how come that indent on the carrier is the perfect negative space needed to not hit the dustcover spring/detent housing, until the bolt has been rotated fully and unlocked before hitting that housing, pushing the ejection cover open?

Like try making a smooth bolt with no cut out, where does that dustcover spring detent housing close on? Why is there a curve on that cutout? The curve is horrible ergonomics for your thumb to interface with, by now you'd think someone would have modified it if forward assist was the main function, but it's continually been made with a curve...

Picture of the spring/detent housing closed on the cutout from underneath:
    Sorry but the guys right, i saw it on forgotten weapons lol. The negative space is utilized for the dust cover yes, but the negative space doesnt need to be anywhere near that large or that shape. Yeah its a stupid design for a forward assist, but it was (this parts just my theory, no evidence for this whatsoever) probably just made so they could technically say they *had* a forward assist when marketing the rifle in its early days...before the army made them put a real one on.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    Sorry but the guys right, i saw it on forgotten weapons lol. The negative space is utilized for the dust cover yes, but the negative space doesnt need to be anywhere near that large or that shape. Yeah its a stupid design for a forward assist, but it was (this parts just my theory, no evidence for this whatsoever) probably just made so they could technically say they *had* a forward assist when marketing the rifle in its early days...before the army made them put a real one on.
    I could be wrong, but the negative space coincides with how much travel you need for the BCG, for the bolt to fully rotate, before knocking the dust cover out. Hence the length of the cutout.

If you listen closely to the gas tube, somehow the dust cover gets knocked out right when the gas tube disengages the gas key...exact moment/length too, at least on all my milspec ARs
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

CGN Regular
    I could be wrong, but the negative space coincides with how much travel you need for the BCG, for the bolt to fully rotate, before knocking the dust cover out. Hence the length of the cutout.
    Im sure the guy who designed it after deciding what he wanted the bolt to look like, made it do many many things simultaneously, he was a smart guy. Point remains tho is that silly thing was in fact intended to be used as a forward assist (which is ridiculous, dont get me wrong lol). Luckily nobody ever needs a forward assist anyway (in stoner's opinion) so its not a big deal.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    Im sure the guy who designed it after deciding what he wanted the bolt to look like, made it do many many things simultaneously, he was a smart guy. Point remains tho is that silly thing was in fact intended to be used as a forward assist (which is ridiculous, dont get me wrong lol). Luckily nobody ever needs a forward assist anyway (in stoner's opinion) so its not a big deal.
    I understand, allow me to point out one more thing.

Viet war M16s were fielded around 1964, so the "jams" happened then. But the AR10 were made with a dustcover and corresponding cutout seen as early as 1950s. I'm thinking that cutout has got to pre-date the whole vietnam war M16 jamming and forward assist era.

Check out this video of a 1957 AR10, it's got the cutout already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmHxieQduE

Some more pictures:

CGN Regular
    The Sterling R18MK2 can't come soon enough.. very interested to see Bartok5's review! Has it been 2-weeks yet lol?

The final "NATO/Portuguese" variant of the original AR10 has a Cocking Handle that can be depressed, which engages a cut-out in the top of the Bolt Carrier to make the Cocking Handle itself a "Forward Assist". Just like firearms with a fixed Cocking Handle (eg. AR-180), where the Handle itself acts as the Forward Assist.
    Mark C

CGN Regular
    So the 2-3 weeks has ended and the more info is ???