Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Collection of Information

Collection of Information

Recently purchased a non-restricted firearm from this merchant in person, just curious about the legality of some of their procedures.

Upon purchasing the non-restricted firearm I was required to provide my PAL ofcourse, but also my Drivers License for some reason. I've never had that happen before, to make things further awkward they seemed to have some sorta book keeping a detailed registry for firearms that they required I sign.

I told them I've never had to do this before, but they were adamant it's a requirement of the RCMP to keep these records. Due to a language barrier there wasn't much I could explain to get thru to anyone, but wondering if this is normal? I don't recall C71 being law yet, so I'd like some clarification here if possible...

CGN frequent flyer
    So you're saying we cannot purchase a firearm without a drivers license... Hmmmm.
    Sounds like a slippery slope.
    If you are unfit to drive, you must therefore be unfit to own a gun.
    Interesting logic.
    Any policy is a success by sufficiently low standards, and a failure by sufficiently high standards.

A high post count means nothing… A high burned out barrel count means everything…

I’ve ran into this a few times. Walked away from a sale once due to the collection of information. I will likely only be buying used guns now..... I will never again submit information past a call to the CFO for verification.
    Duncan

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws...

There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address

Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address
    Sighting your ID's I can understand, but writing down detailed sales information which seemed to include serial # etc didn't seem normal to me, item wasn't shipped it was bought in person.

I could be wrong, but to purchase a non-restricted firearm you don't require two pieces of ID's. Just your PAL and as far as I know there isn't a requirement to create a detailed log of what's being sold to whom aka a registry.
    Last edited by (!); 03-27-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by (!) View Post
    Sighting your ID's I can understand, but writing down detailed sales information which seemed to include serial # etc didn't seem normal to me, item wasn't shipped it was bought in person.
    Most store still keeps a ledger as a store policy, when the Conservative abolished the LGR most business still kept the practice of keeping a ledger as a way to track inventory, the police or the CFO can't see those ledger without a court order.

CGN Regular
    Most store still keeps a ledger as a store policy, when the Conservative abolished the LGR most business still kept the practice of keeping a ledger as a way to track inventory, the police or the CFO can't see those ledger without a court order.
    And that’s only if the seller or business let’s them know they have one. I don’t think most gun shops would willfully tell anyone they may have kept records.
    I love the sound that a law makes when I break it!

CGN Regular
    Sounds like a business practice similar to Bass-Pro and Cabela's. Dvr lic to confirm address assigned to the PAL. If you do not want them to have the info don't buy from them.

Take your business elsewhere.
    Uh oh, Canada

I did it my way.

Makes sense, only thing that really bothered me about this was the fact that a lot of people in this community fought hard to reverse a law that didn't make sense. Yet here we have businesses that have zero requirement to be doing what they do, it was pushed off on me that it's an RCMP requirement when it really isn't. Just needed clarification.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast