Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Vision Chat Thread - Ask Us Anything

Business Member Cold Harbour Supply's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barnaby View Post
    I'm looking to get an NV setup in the near future. I've been looking at the Holosun LE321G. Is there any major disadvantage to going with this all in one unit instead of a vampire alongside something like a LE117IR?
    Laser-based illuminators top out at 0.7mW per FDA regs so while it will "work", in higher light situations (eg: partial or full moon, urban situations) you will find the illuminator quite weak. There are some use cases for the low power illuminator such as indoor with low ambient light, but you will get a decent amount of light from your laser alone, so the overlap where the laser-based IR illum is useful, but not overlapped by the IR laser, is small. It ultimately depends on your use-case. In terms of a cost justification, we just find it hard to recommend the 321G for those very specific use cases where the low power illum is useful, for double the cost of the 117IR.

LED-based illuminators don't have the power limitation, so the Vampire has 120mW of power so it's quite a bit more powerful, with extended throw also. You will find this useful for PID of anything past 50 yards.

Ultimately the best setup would be a full power IR laser with a Vampire so you have all of your bases covered (low IR laser, low IR illum to prevent wash-out, 45mW illum for those mid-range distances, then the Vampire for those really long distances), but this obviously isn't accessible for everyone, so the 117IR with Vampire is what we recommend for now. If there was a "good" combination unit like a DBAL-D2, that is ITAR-free, we would recommend that.
    COLD HARBOUR SUPPLY INC.
    High-End Night Vision Retailer

Authorized Photonis, Act in Black, iRay, Nocturn Industries, Holosun dealer
    12-month warranty on all complete night vision devices
    Assembled in and ships from Toronto, Canada

www.coldharboursupply.com

E-Mail: admin@coldharboursupply.com
    Instagram | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Harbour Supply View Post
    Laser-based illuminators top out at 0.7mW per FDA regs so while it will "work", in higher light situations (eg: partial or full moon, urban situations) you will find the illuminator quite weak. There are some use cases for the low power illuminator such as indoor with low ambient light, but you will get a decent amount of light from your laser alone, so the overlap where the laser-based IR illum is useful, but not overlapped by the IR laser, is small. It ultimately depends on your use-case. In terms of a cost justification, we just find it hard to recommend the 321G for those very specific use cases where the low power illum is useful, for double the cost of the 117IR.

LED-based illuminators don't have the power limitation, so the Vampire has 120mW of power so it's quite a bit more powerful, with extended throw also. You will find this useful for PID of anything past 50 yards.

Ultimately the best setup would be a full power IR laser with a Vampire so you have all of your bases covered (low IR laser, low IR illum to prevent wash-out, 45mW illum for those mid-range distances, then the Vampire for those really long distances), but this obviously isn't accessible for everyone, so the 117IR with Vampire is what we recommend for now. If there was a "good" combination unit like a DBAL-D2, that is ITAR-free, we would recommend that.
    What about Zenitco Perst series ?
    Prices including shipping DOES NOT include full insurance. Once package is in carrier's hands, it is not my responsibility anymore.

What set up would you suggest for a farmer doing some predator control? Would it be a thermal optic or head mounted set up? I see a lot of guys running thermal sights for hog hunting, but want what ever is going to have the furthest/clear coverage.

We're in the middle of testing some options out. Problem is cheap clip-ons aren't good (Armasight - huge POI shifts), and good clip-ons aren't cheap. While we'd love to get our hands on an L3 CNVD-LR, most of the options you've listed are unfortunately definitely ITAR-restricted..
    I understand, the price is going to be steep.

Thank you & keep us posted
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

Thanks for starting this thread, much appreciated.

I recently came across a thermal clip on that caught my attention. Do you have any experience with the Guide TA435 or TA450? I believe Guide is a Chinese company. I see them posted online for $3300 and $3700 CAD respectively which seems decent for a thermal clip on. The night vision world is new to me but apparently we can hunt at night in the NWT though so I'm doing some research. Do you know how much recoil clip on units can handle?

Business Member Cold Harbour Supply's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavenK View Post
    What about Zenitco Perst series ?
    Good to go from our limited time messing around with them. Ergos can be a bit odd but the ability to dial up/down the power level is a plus in my book. Published vs actual power levels can be a bit sketch, so not recommended for force-on-force training, but you can probably designate targets for airstrikes with some of them. One thing to also note is Perst lasers are known to be heavier (rugged), so depending on your application and length of handguard, hanging a 500g weight off the front of your rifle may not be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
    What set up would you suggest for a farmer doing some predator control? Would it be a thermal optic or head mounted set up? I see a lot of guys running thermal sights for hog hunting, but want what ever is going to have the furthest/clear coverage.
    Head-mounted mono (or bino) for general nav/scanning and a weapon-mounted thermal would be best in this case. Thermal will give you the longer-range detection distance you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMusket View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, much appreciated.

I recently came across a thermal clip on that caught my attention. Do you have any experience with the Guide TA435 or TA450? I believe Guide is a Chinese company. I see them posted online for $3300 and $3700 CAD respectively which seems decent for a thermal clip on. The night vision world is new to me but apparently we can hunt at night in the NWT though so I'm doing some research. Do you know how much recoil clip on units can handle?
    Unfortunately limited experience with thermal devices aside from Pulsar units, COTI, and REAP-IR. Problem with some of these clip-ons is - you sometimes have to buy them to try them out.
    Snipershide forums has a TON of info for hunting thermals, including both US and Chinese-made devices.
    Last edited by Cold Harbour Supply; 09-12-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    COLD HARBOUR SUPPLY INC.
    High-End Night Vision Retailer

Authorized Photonis, Act in Black, iRay, Nocturn Industries, Holosun dealer
    12-month warranty on all complete night vision devices
    Assembled in and ships from Toronto, Canada

www.coldharboursupply.com

E-Mail: admin@coldharboursupply.com
    Instagram | Facebook

Do you have any ability to do repairs such as collimation or nitrogen ourging?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBob View Post
    I understand, the price is going to be steep.

Thank you & keep us posted
    This. Quality costs but crap is, well, crap, haha. Looking forward to seeing what you guys bring in.

Good to go from our limited time messing around with them. Ergos can be a bit odd but the ability to dial up/down the power level is a plus in my book. Published vs actual power levels can be a bit sketch, so not recommended for force-on-force training, but you can probably designate targets for airstrikes with some of them. One thing to also note is Perst lasers are known to be heavier (rugged), so depending on your application and length of handguard, hanging a 500g weight off the front of your rifle may not be ideal.
    Thank you for your input ! Will take into consideration for sure.

Head-mounted mono (or bino) for general nav/scanning and a weapon-mounted thermal would be best in this case. Thermal will give you the longer-range detection distance you're after.
    What would you recommend as a mid-tier weapon-mounted thermal ?
    I've been eyeing the T20X for a little while now.
    Prices including shipping DOES NOT include full insurance. Once package is in carrier's hands, it is not my responsibility anymore.

do you have a physical storefront where I could come in and try some NVGs?