Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Sell Type 81 Side Rails As Separate SKU

+1. I don't particularly want a Kobra, I already have another optic system which could be used with this updated rail...

I seen the kobra sight listed for 399 from ti , so TI wants 588.00..188 for a mounting plate? and some screws? along with a right hand safety?

Are these kobra results made by Herron? If so, has anyone reached out to Ian?
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

I sent an e-mail asking him how much as ti told me they wouldn't sell me one without buying the kobra red dot sight. Even though I bought the rifle optic ready kit. So essentially they want me to spend 600 dollars to get a mount to install a 400 dollar optic onto when an ak mount is 20 bucks everywhere.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tinviper View Post
    I sent an e-mail asking him how much as ti told me they wouldn't sell me one without buying the kobra red dot sight. Even though I bought the rifle optic ready kit. So essentially they want me to spend 600 dollars to get a mount to install a 400 dollar optic onto when an ak mount is 20 bucks everywhere.
    Well, that sucks. I can understand them wanting to get some of the R&D costs for modding the Kobra side rail mount design to fit their drill-less pin setup, even if $200 is steep compared to the standardized, incredibly mass produced AK side rail, but they should still be willing to sell you an extra for the premium price without purchasing an extra red dot. I guess you're left modding another rail , or seeing if you can split the price of a Kobra with mount with someone who needs the Kobra for something else that already has a rail, like an SKS. Good luck!

CGN Regular
    Someone just needs to take these mounts to a 3D scanner, create some files and off to a machine shop. My god whoever does this first will make $$.. add a random groove or hole so there ain't to "copyright" issues if any.

Quote Originally Posted by tinviper View Post
    Let us know what you hear back. I don't mind TI but I feel that my obligation to them has ceased with the number of their guns in my safe.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quite some milking going on with those mounts. I still don't understand what an optics ready version is. Is that the gun with the side mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Tvw View Post
    Someone just needs to take these mounts to a 3D scanner, create some files and off to a machine shop. My god whoever does this first will make $$.. add a random groove or hole so there ain't to "copyright" issues if any.
    Don't really need a scanner. Creating the raw model is a 20 minute job max (horizontal and vertical cam grooves included). Actually using a scanner might just be a bad idea, since you usually need to clean the final result extensively. It's good for gross, complex shapes, not something you need to reproduce to specs.
    The real issue is machining, it's not as cheap as people expect. I have some experience creating gcode (.nc) to run on the machine at my workplace but I wouldn't pay for someone with as little expertise as me. Time, material, setup, operation, it all adds up quickly. Especially if you're looking to make an integrated mount like TI, which include threaded pins (which are different from one another and also turned down in a spot for the spring plate).
    There is money to be made, just not a whole lot.

Quick, Easy, Cheap. Pick two.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by scianna54 View Post
    Quite some milking going on with those mounts. I still don't understand what an optics ready version is. Is that the gun with the side mount?
    The optic ready version does not constitute with the side mount rail. What it does come with is the custom TI trigger group pins that have a threaded portion sticking out of the side of the receiver, along with the right side safety, both pre-installed. Installing these two components takes the most onerous part of installing the mount out of the equation; installing the side mount is the relatively painless portion of the procedure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast