Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jard J180 Builds

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crover View Post
    Getting a little ahead of yourself! I updated the post on Reddit with more info so yours is out of date.

I posted the complete comment here so not sure if you want to edit this one or delete the comment.
    Edited to remove, thanks for posting the update.

After some struggles finding an appropriate stock for the rifle, the J180 is put together!

First impressions are...ok. The weakest part of the platform is the fit and finish. It is not anodized I think, it is a matte grey color and feels like parkerization but I don't think you can parkerize aluminum. There are machining marks in many places, and the trigger pack is assembled from 2 halves and bolted together. There was an abundance of packing oil on and inside the receiver, but it all wiped off easily.

The bolt cam pin track was marred out of the box. Looks like cycling and dryfiring the receiver might have caused the cam pin to strike the track, the marks are on spots the pin might not have reached if the BCG had been in the correct position in the receiver when stopped by the barrel extension.

Trigger is pretty decent out of the box, single stage trigger pull is on the light side with a short audible and tactile reset. It has a quirk where the trigger seems to lock up if the safety is set to "on" after the hammer is dropped but before resetting it. Only way to remediate is to remove the trigger pack off the gun and reset the hammer manually with the safety off.

Since the recoil rods and spring are higher on the receiver, the height of the receiver is higher than the height a standard AR receiver; this causes the receiver rail to be around 3-4 mm higher than a standard AR handguard rail I would guess. This in turn causes a very pronounced issue with AR-height optics, necessitating a higher comb on the stock to properly look through optics. Using a Magpul MOE stock and 0.5" cheek riser the AimPoint PRO can be used normally.

Last but not least is the issue of stock options. As I've previously indicated, A1/A2 stocks will not work on this receiver set. However, I found the Magpul fixed carbine stock will work as it interfaces with the geometry of a carbine buffer tube to prevent rotation.

Range report soon!
    Considering the fit/finish is a let down, it photographs very nicely. Mine arrived today, have not yet had time to take it out of the box.
    Within the Vacuum of Infinity...

Hi all, i talked to Jard today and told him that the finish was a big improvement from the J48, he said that on the 180 they bead blasted and then anodized it.

The bolt cam pin track was marred out of the box. Looks like cycling and dryfiring the receiver might have caused the cam pin to strike the track, the marks are on spots the pin might not have reached if the BCG had been in the correct position in the receiver when stopped by the barrel extension.
    The cam pin will normally produce wear on ar15's, but should be minimal and not cause issues cycling.

Trigger is pretty decent out of the box, single stage trigger pull is on the light side with a short audible and tactile reset. It has a quirk where the trigger seems to lock up if the safety is set to "on" after the hammer is dropped but before resetting it. Only way to remediate is to remove the trigger pack off the gun and reset the hammer manually with the safety off.
    Ar15 triggers normally do not go to safe when the hammer is down, this is normal.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightfehr View Post
    Hi all, i talked to Jard today and told him that the finish was a big improvement from the J48, he said that on the 180 they bead blasted and then anodized it.
    It reminds me of the finish of the secondary manufacturer of a competitor's 180 based fire arm; the original has a darker finish, while the later introduced secondary partner had a similar colour to the J180. I wonder if they use the same kind of anodization process?

Quote Originally Posted by Guppy3 View Post
    Ar15 triggers normally do not go to safe when the hammer is down, this is normal.
    I'll try to replicate the issue, but I'm unsure if the safery is the culprit. What I mean by "the trigger seems to lock up" is literal, the hammer becomes stuck halfway between the cocked and fired position. At that point the bolt cannot be cycled, and the only way I've found to fix the issue is popping the takedown pin on the trigger pack, pulling the pack off the receiver, and pushing down on the hammer while wiggling the safety.
    The Abomin870!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How does the fit/finish compare to the latest batch of MCR's?

I just pulled my receiver set out of the box. Besides the oil and grease (which isn't a bad thing) I feel pretty good about the fit and finish on my set. The Anodizing is darker than both of the Canadian 180 variants I currently own and enjoy. After a bath in some G96, I'm pretty confident the finish on my unit will look pretty good. Definitely better than a few others in the safe.

No really obvious exterior machining marks. When compared to the other domestic 180s, I would say the finish on my individual set is superior.

Like Crover, my set has similar marks/light marring along the inside of the cam track, however, after cycling the action a bunch I didn't notice it getting progressively worse. We all know this is a wear point in any similarly designed receiver set. I'm cautiously optimistic that some break-in over the weekend will get all the internals smoothed out.

YMMV
    Within the Vacuum of Infinity...

Gents

The Crover

Your build is coming along nicely!!

My receiver set arrived today and I look forward to working with.

It seems the J180 is similar to the J48 for stock assembly choices.

For those who want to use a fixed stock or one that needs an end plate, as suggested previously I used an MDT "Carbine to Fixed Stock Adapter", On my pervious J48 build.

I was using a stock off a Ruger RPR and it turned out like this:

However on my particular adapter I did have to shorten the adapter screw as I found it impeded on the rubber grommet at the rear of the receiver, so use caution when trying this as your mileage and results may very!!

As for the Fore-end rail being lower than the upper receiver rail, this situation opens up a lot of possibilities for optics mounting and you may not need to use a typical AR optics mount which is 1.50" to center of optic usually!!

Might I suggest an ADM mount of the SL variety that is only one 1.10 to center of optic and meant for bolt guns might work in this case. Further if one is careful you may even be able to use standard scope rings.

My preference would be for the ADM SL variety as you can get those mounts with 20 MOA cant built into them. For a barrels with a chamber in 223 wylde this may not matter, but I understand that that the not yet available in Canada

builders sets with the 0.441" Rim Dia. X .125 Bolt Face Depth can accommodate cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel (Type 1) & the 6 mm ARC, where 20 MOA Cant might be useful.

Who knows!! Maybe you can fit a 224 Valkyrie into this receiver set!! Now there is an excellent cartridge!!

These are just my thoughts and I look forward to others sharing theirs as well!!

regards

AbH
    Last edited by AbHobbyist; 10-26-2021 at 06:54 PM.

I just had another though......Speaking of MDT ......... I wonder if one of their SCS - Skeleton or Composite Carbine Stocks might not be the answer for the J180!!

regards

AbH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast