Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynx 180B Upper Receiver Info Thread

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross94 View Post
    I'm a fan of the KISS rule...

... have you put any thought into designing a dedicated handguard for this system?
    Seeing someone say "I'm a fan of the KISS rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid)" followed immediately by a request for a brand new completely proprietary product, designed from the ground up to replace a mass-produced and standardized readily-available, affordable, and ubiquitous component is the most laughable oxymoron I've seen in a long while.
    Understand that voting got us into this mess, do you really believe more voting will get us out? I await the day when the ballots will be cast in the streets, before the guillotine and the gallows; until then, nothing will truly change.

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the KISS rule so this is very pleasing to my eyes. And while I understand the design hasn't been completely finalized yet, have you put any thought into designing a dedicated handguard for this system? To me the current AR15 options look just plain wrong on a 180 receiver, though to be fair I am rather partial to those retro aesthetics...
    Making an AR-180B style handguard is a difficult and expensive process. For a limited market it wouldn't be worth it. If we do make handguards it would be done with aluminum extrusion. In my opinion a 18.6" barrel should have a 15" handguard for competition shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by SomebodyTookMyName View Post
    Seeing someone say "I'm a fan of the KISS rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid)" followed immediately by a request for a brand new completely proprietary product, designed from the ground up to replace a mass-produced and standardized readily-available, affordable, and ubiquitous component is the most laughable oxymoron I've seen in a long while.
    I suppose it is a bit hypocritical, as mentioned the simplest and easiest solution is to keep using a commonly available handguard with widespread availability and variety. Nevertheless I still think it would be cool to produce a handguard that better meshes with Spectre's 180 receiver, but I understand it's more of a vanity thing and other projects have a much higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
    Making an AR-180B style handguard is a difficult and expensive process. For a limited market it wouldn't be worth it. If we do make handguards it would be done with aluminum extrusion. In my opinion a 18.6" barrel should have a 15" handguard for competition shooting.
    Understandable. I'll just have to cook up something on my own haha.

I suppose it is a bit hypocritical, as mentioned the simplest and easiest solution is to keep using a commonly available handguard with widespread availability and variety. Nevertheless I still think it would be cool to produce a handguard that better meshes with Spectre's 180 receiver, but I understand it's more of a vanity thing and other projects have a much higher priority.

Understandable. I'll just have to cook up something on my own haha.
    Keep in mind, the pictured receiver isn't anodized yet and we haven't finished the outside look of it. When anodized black, and with a bit more styling (working on that now) an AR handguard will look good.

How long is the handguard in the picture and video? Thanks.
    "Don't confuse effort with results."

Quote Originally Posted by LAV View Post
    How long is the handguard in the picture and video? Thanks.
    17"

Is the trunnion steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Kach View Post
    Is the trunnion steel?
    No. The receiver is made from billet aluminum. Having a steel trunnion would make for a weaker and less ridged receiver due to having a separate trunnion and receiver.

The MCR has a steel trunnion because the upper is made from aluminum extrusion tube.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Horilka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SomebodyTookMyName View Post
    If you want piston gun, just stick with the stock MCR/WK BCG and gas system... there are a lot of other people who'd prefer something with DI so that they can use normal components.
    There are lot of ppl who had access to modern systems and are not fond of antiquated ar15's hybrid DI. Remind what kind of system ar180 has? Oh, right, piston. It's also called progress.
    CSSA CPC
    ===
    “Military theory does not account for regular dudes with track pants and hunting rifles” - General Valeriy Zaluzhny

Quote Originally Posted by Horilka View Post
    There are lot of ppl who had access to modern systems and are not fond of antiquated ar15's hybrid DI. Remind what kind of system ar180 has? Oh, right, piston. It's also called progress.
    This is why our receiver will work with both. Want DI? Yes we have that. Want piston? We have that too.