Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 1 - Initial Details and Pre-Firing Impressions

Part 2 (a work still in progress) is now up under its own Thread in Black and Green Rifles. Enjoy!
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Part 2 (a work still in progress) is now up under its own Thread in Black and Green Rifles. Enjoy!
    FYI, you posted it in this sub-forum, not B&G rifles

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...curacy-Results
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthWest Guy View Post
    It is only fair to compare with something currently in Canadian market.
    List is pretty short, and average Msrp around 3k.
    R18 looks promising, at least looked better than Nea/Bcl back to the old days.
    Hope it turn out to be good ones.
    I was wondering if someone was going to make the connection of this Sterling work and NEA / BLC - similarities of some of the machined components looks to me to be a dead giveaway.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    I was wondering if someone was going to make the connection of this Sterling work and NEA / BLC - similarities of some of the machined components looks to me to be a dead giveaway.
    We are "re-using" the 102 rail, as SAI had a lot of those in stock (given the OIC) which does give to a familiar look.

HOWEVER: This has NOTHING to do with NEA / BCL in concept, design or machining. None of the past or current BCL people are involved in anyway. Nothing against anyone, but SAI wants to evolve with it's own products and designs.
    Last edited by TSE JR; 11-12-2021 at 02:26 PM.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    I'd be surprised were that NOT the case, seeing as how there are only so many machine shops in Canada capable of rendering Upper and Lower Modern Sporting Rifle Receivers from billet aluminum at the throughput necessary to support a new product launch. I fully expect that BCL and Sterling have made use of some of the very same parts sub-contractors, albeit with considerably-improved QC acceptance standards on the part of SAI. However that is purely conjecture on my part and I stand to be corrected.

ETA: Seeing the response from JR Cox above, I'd say that it is clear none of the major machining on the SAI R18 Mk2 stems from earlier subcontractors to the NEA/BCL brand. I therefore stand corrected.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-12-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Sure, ok.
    Personally I never had much against either NEA or BCL - they were doing the Canadian firearms cottage manufacturing industry, and the shooting sports a valued service, even if learning through mistakes along the way. I didn't bring it up to drag anyone through the mud or imply that their mistakes should translate to this new venture; just noting that some components are spittin' images.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

Will there be a 308 version?

The barrel not being centered in the handguard triggers my OCD.
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valaden View Post
    The offset Barrel is a function of the tall Gas Block, the height of which must accommodate the AR180B Gas System underneath the Handguard. There's no getting around the size and shape of the revised, Adjustable Gas Block that will debut on the production R18 Mk2 when they launch in Feb 22.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    The offset Barrel is a function of the tall Gas Block, the height of which must accommodate the AR180B Gas System underneath the Handguard. There's no getting around the size and shape of the revised, Adjustable Gas Block that will debut on the production R18 Mk2 when they launch in Feb 22.
    This is also a function of the recoil harvesting system's height in the receiver. Even on a competitor's DI 180 variant, fitting a standard AR handguard results in a lower handguard 1913 rail then on the receiver's 1913 rail. No way around the OCD either way, I'm afraid.