Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 1 - Initial Details and Pre-Firing Impressions

Looking good. All we need now is a teaser about it's big brother in .308.
    J.R.?
    He can't shoot like that with a stock Savage and a Bushnell scope

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Completely agree with greentips on his comment
    As was also mentioned in my review: "It is my belief that the Picatinny Rail should be extended one more increment upwards on the rear of the rifle so that additional adjustment can be made to put the Buttstock slightly over the line of the Barrel. This would serve to reduce any muzzle-flip as well as bringing the cheek-weld a bit higher and possibly more comfortable for certain optics users."

The R18 Mk2 is a very "mature" design IMHO, however there is room for incremental improvement in some areas such as the Buttstock Picatinny Height and the desirabiity of a QD Handguard interface. Other percieved "shortcomings" are simply a matter of user preference and can be easily upgraged if required/desired. The lack of an ambidextrous Magazine Release is a case in point, as is the Mil-Spec Trigger and the Buttstock Design. Those 3 aspects of the rifle are readily upgraded by the user if required, whithout making every purchaser of an R18 Mk2 pay for those particular upgrades.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-06-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer infidel29's Avatar
    Now THAT'S a review! Well done TSE and Bartok! Price really isn't even that bad for such a polished western made firearm. Very interested for pt 2....
    Pump actions speak louder than words.

Do you remember how hard the Liberals fought to keep the registry?
    Now you know why. - Dexter Morgan

Thank you for the informative and detailed review Bartok. It is refreshing to see TSE skipping the pre-sale gong show that can potentially harm customers if things go awry.

The barrel seems like enough of a pencil profile (THANK YOU) so I’m quite surprised to see it weigh in at 7.9 pounds, which for me is where I lose interest. I cannot shave that weight with another AR-style hand guard because of the proprietary sandwich attach method, and I suspect it does it’s fair share of adding ounces. That along with the rather large block of upper receiver.

I’m also with Greentips in thinking that the stock adapter needs to be more inline with the centre axis of the bolt carrier and that the hand guard needs a full picatinny rail. Yes it can be shifted up another notch but then you’re securing your stock to less picatinny rails. If this was the end goal then the rail should have been made another notch larger.

It would have been nice to see an adjustable gas block too, perhaps that can be a revision. Also as much as I appreciate the incorporations of the maritime bolt catch and ambi bolt release I feel it these could have been omitted for ease of part sourcing, machining, and ultimately cost. The final modification decision could have been left to the end user in the form of a BAD lever or their upgraded bolt catch of choice. That way the customer can ‘standardize’ their controls to what they are used to.

All in all it does bring much more to the table than ANY of the other current 180 offerings and you should be proud of that. Right now the Canadian firearms community needs innovators pushing new exciting products to the market and I think you’ll enjoy success with this offering.

BANNED
    I like it.

It appears to be a nice setup and looks great compared to those other 180s out there. Those rifles are so ugly that I can't even bring myself to buy one.

Okay, I'm sold. The left-hand view of this thing is gorgeous, especially with that barrel and muzzle device. Now the only question is if I have enough patience to wait for the Mk3 with its QD handguard and folding stock... or if I should just get a Mk2 ASAP and retrofit it with the new stuff later. Decisions, decisions...

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross94 View Post
    Okay, I'm sold. The left-hand view of this thing is gorgeous, especially with that barrel and muzzle device. Now the only question is if I have enough patience to wait for the Mk3 with its QD handguard and folding stock... or if I should just get a Mk2 ASAP and retrofit it with the new stuff later. Decisions, decisions...
    I never should have mentioned the MK3. ;-)

The folder adapter should be following pretty quickly. Give us 3-4 weeks.

The QD handguard still needs work, so it's a little bit away.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Regular
    Thanks for giving people another choice and getting this to market. Looking forward to the range review.

P.

CGN Regular
    Excellent review. It's got me a lot more interested than any other 180b patterned offerings out there now.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    When are these going for sale?