Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 1 - Initial Details and Pre-Firing Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPrime View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth look Bartok, I like a lot of what this rifle offers so far. The tough question is whether it's worth it to wait for the Mk3 or not. Sadly, recent history suggests that those who snooze, lose.
    The only Mk3 upgrade that is currently envisioned which will not be backwards compatible to the Mk2 rifle is the Ejection Port Cover. According to JR Cox, SAI should have the Zhukov Folding Buttstock and Adapter available as an up-charge option in 3-4 weeks. The same applies to the QD Handguard, athough a longer lead-time will be required to bring that particular Mk3 upgrade to market. When offered for sale, both the Folding Buttstock and the QD Handguard will fit the Mk2 rifle without modification. Other incremental improvements, such as extra Picatinny Rail Space for the Buttstock placement, will be incorporated into basic production as "Rolling Improvements" if they are adopted. Those changes will appear in due course on standard Mk2 (and later Mk3), production rifles.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPrime View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth look Bartok, I like a lot of what this rifle offers so far. The tough question is whether it's worth it to wait for the Mk3 or not. Sadly, recent history suggests that those who snooze, lose.
    The only thing I am concerned about ATM is getting one before the 'pseudo-registry kicks in'.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canadiankeeper's Avatar
    just get that stock up higher and im sold

CGN Regular
    Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see the 2nd part of the review. Also anyone following up with overall impressions and video reviews would also be greatly appreciated!

This is very interesting, thanks for the review Bartok!

Quick question, do you happen to have a picture of the mcx stock folded and how it relates to the charging handle on the left side?

CGN Regular
    I wish the stock 1913 pic rail was a little longer. And maybe a Folding charging handle ?. I wonder if the Brownells BRN 180 Gen 2 upper could be fitted to it ?.
    Last edited by Patriot762x51; 11-07-2021 at 11:18 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot762x51 View Post
    I wish the stock 1913 pic rail was a little longer. And maybe a Folding charging handle ?. I wonder if the Brownells BRN 180 Gen 2 upper could be fitted to it ?.
    Considering that's an AR 15 upper, not just no, but hell no it will not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondatech View Post
    This is very interesting, thanks for the review Bartok!

Quick question, do you happen to have a picture of the mcx stock folded and how it relates to the charging handle on the left side?
    No pic handy, and I am simply too tired of taking things off and putting them on to rejig the Buttstocks one more time. The MCX Buttstock has a couple of issues - the first being that the MCX "Picatinny" is apparently not to industry spec. As a result the Buttstock mounts on the R18 Mk2 a bit cockeyed (eg. several degrees out of alignment with the line of the rifle). This is not the fault of the R18 Mk2, which I am convinced is to spec from experimentation with several brands of QD scope mount on the various Picatinny interfaces of both the R18 and the MCX. Don't ask me how SIG got it out of spec, but combined with the unique "shoulders" surrounding the SIG's Buttstock Rail, their stock appears to fit only their Rifle. I even tried the stock attached to the MCX and R18 Optic Rails and both gave the same cockeyed result. All of the above to say that the SIG MCX Buttstock does not properly mate with the R18 Mk2 through no fault of the rifle's. On top of the alignment issue, the Buttstock interfered with the R18 Cocking Handle as it was directlly in line with the cocking track. So no ability to rack the action with the stock folded.

The Zhukov stock with a properly specc'ed Picatinny Buttstock Adapter is the answer that we are all looking for from a functionality perspective. You might not like the look as much, but the Zhukov Stock wil fit and function correctly whereas the MCX Buttstock will not.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    No pic handy, and I am simply too tired of taking things off and putting them on to rejig the Buttstocks one more time. The MCX Buttstock has a couple of issues - the first being that the MCX "Picatinny" is apparently not to industry spec. As a result the Buttstock mounts on the R18 Mk2 a bit cockeyed (eg. several degrees out of alignment with the line of the rifle). This is not the fault of the R18 Mk2, which I am convinced is to spec from experimentation with several brands of QD scope mount on the various Picatinny interfaces of both the R18 and the MCX. Don't ask me how SIG got it out of spec, but combined with the unique "shoulders" surrounding the SIG's Buttstock Rail, their stock appears to fit only their Rifle. I even tried the stock attached to the MCX and R18 Optic Rails and both gave the same cockeyed result. All of the above to say that the SIG MCX Buttstock does not properly mate with the R18 Mk2 through no fault of the rifle's. On top of the alignment issue, the Buttstock interfered with the R18 Cocking Handle as it was directlly in line with the cocking track. So no ability to rack the action with the stock folded.

The Zhukov stock with a properly specc'ed Picatinny Buttstock Adapter is the answer that we are all looking for from a functionality perspective. You might not like the look as much, but the Zhukov Stock wil fit and function correctly whereas the MCX Buttstock will not.
    Member TV-PressPass started a Canadian 1913 Stock thread, https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ocks-in-Canada , it would be cool to see someone try either the Grey Birch or Xtreme stock on the R18. Or perhaps the gun makers would have better luck getting an order through from Brownells then the average CGN member?

Thank you for everything ! Any chance for 308 or 300 black out near future?