Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 1 - Initial Details and Pre-Firing Impressions

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    This is also a function of the recoil harvesting system's height in the receiver. Even on a competitor's DI 180 variant, fitting a standard AR handguard results in a lower handguard 1913 rail then on the receiver's 1913 rail. No way around the OCD either way, I'm afraid.
    How did the cheaper competitors (wk180/mcr) manage to fit the 180 gas system under normal AR handguards? Genuine question, not implying or insinuating anything.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    This is also a function of the recoil harvesting system's height in the receiver. Even on a competitor's DI 180 variant, fitting a standard AR handguard results in a lower handguard 1913 rail then on the receiver's 1913 rail. No way around the OCD either way, I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    How did the cheaper competitors (wk180/mcr) manage to fit the 180 gas system under normal AR handguards? Genuine question, not implying or insinuating anything.
    The competitor in question (not an MCR or WK, and more expensive then either) only has a standard AR-15 gas tube and block along the barrel, so it does not need the height required by the RS18 for the piston. The gas tube feeds a gas key built into an AR180 style bolt carrier that contains an AR-15 style pseudo-piston bolt, with the BCG recoiling against an otherwise standard pair of 180 recoil springs, running along standard 180 rails. A similar DI-ish pseudo piston gas tube fed 180 recoil system version of the RS18 could well be possible, if there is demand for it down the line a good chunk in the future.

The competition (WS-MCR and WK-180) use a simplified Gas Operation/Harvesting system with a long, narrow Operating Rod which fits under slim AR-15 Handguards. The bulkier 3-piece Op Rod of the original AR-180B won't fit under the narrow AR-15 Handguard.

Incidentally, it has been surmised that the more rigid and simple 1-piece Op Rod of the WS/WK is what has caused so many Receiver Bushing problems. It is suggested that the inherent flex built into the original 3-piece design avoids such problems.
    Mark C

Some news I came across:

Some people have already started to receive the “pencil barrel” models of the rifle and have already posted photos on the CCFR Facebook page.

I was on the list of those interested and I recently received a call from TSE. I was told that the pencil barrel versions are selling for $2699.

I decided to hold off until the February batch for the medium profile barrel and other upgrades though and was told that that version would be around the “ballpark” of $2699. TSE estimated mid-February for that batch. Can’t wait!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    The OEM system is quite slim as mentioned.
    I used a die grinder to enlarge the clearances on a floating handguard when I installed a rifle length gas system with the enlarged piston cup and med/heavy match barrel on a 180b recently.
    It shows no sigh of binding. Function is much improved with soft recoil and much improved accuracy over the OEM set up.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    The OEM system is quite slim as mentioned.
    I used a die grinder to enlarge the clearances on a floating handguard when I installed a rifle length gas system with the enlarged piston cup and med/heavy match barrel on a 180b recently.
    It shows no sigh of binding. Function is much improved with soft recoil and much improved accuracy over the OEM set up.
    Right, that's what i assumed, just a slight difference of internal dimensions. Of the actual sterling/armalite 180/b's ive owned i never noticed an excessively bulky gas system, reciever height was same as AR also. The brn 180 is another example of this gas system fitting pragmatically into an AR sized handguard, no doubt proprietary with different internal dimensions. Wondering why this same armalite gas system couldn't fit in the r18? Ultimately it seems to be so they could re use the old handguards from the sterling 102 project, which makes sense financially. Personally i really dont like that added reciever height, but thats just a personal aesthetic preference, more power to those who are in line to purchase.

Personally i really dont like that added reciever height, but thats just a personal aesthetic preference, more power to those who are in line to purchase.
    You can always wait for the long and oft-promised IRG import of that NDS/PWS hybrid rifle. Of course, that may prove to be an awfully looooong wait....
    Mark C

Great post!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    CCFR / CSSA

Million dollar question; will it shoot in the cold if you sprinkle water over it?
    CCFR Member

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaden View Post
    Million dollar question; will it shoot in the cold if you sprinkle water over it?
    Are you talking about rain and snow? Now that there are rifles out there in the wild, I am sure we'll find out definitively soon enough with real world examples.

In our testing, we did freeze (and refreeze) a rifle and then shoot it we could test the springs / moving parts under stress and they all passed.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans