Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 810111213141516171819202122232425262838 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    That Midwest Industries Folding Picatinny Buttstock Interface looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    I have also ordered up a Midwest Industries Folding Extruded Stock from Brownells, which ought to arrive within the next 2-3 weeks provided that there are no CBSA shenanigans to hold things up.
    My recent order from Brownells was held by CBSA for 19 days (and not opened apparently as there is no tax/fee attached to the CP tracking still enroute from Mississauga).
    It contains 1 x 1911 slide stop and a micrometer top for a reloading die.....

A Numrich order which has Mauser parts has been there for 18 days 'so far'.

Good luck with yours as they may decide it can fit on an AR and prohibit it from entering.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    That Midwest Industries Folding Picatinny Buttstock Interface looks very nice.

My recent order from Brownells was held by CBSA for 19 days (and not opened apparently as there is no tax/fee attached to the CP tracking still enroute from Mississauga).
    It contains 1 x 1911 slide stop and a micrometer top for a reloading die.....

A Numrich order which has Mauser parts has been there for 18 days 'so far'.

Good luck with yours as they may decide it can fit on an AR and prohibit it from entering.
    I am well aware of the risks posed by a capricious, authoritative bureaucracy being permitted to make item classifications based on appearance and emotion. I've been living under such conditions for the past 35 years when it comes to the ever-shifting goalposts of firearms classification, which now obviously involves any aluminum or Steel part with a matte black finish...

It will be pretty hard to state that the Midwest Folder will fit and function on the AR15, when it patently will not. The Buttstock requires a closed rear end with Picatinny Rail to mount to. The AR15 requires that space open and unimpeded for rearward movement of the Bolt-Carrier and Operating Spring. The two are entirely incompatible.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-18-2021 at 07:58 PM.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Would it compromise the stock rigidity too much if you added a picatinny riser with a longer rail to the picatinny mount, for those who need higher scope mount position? If the idea works, it would highlight the flexibility of the 1913/Picatinny stock interface. This would not preclude TSE/Sterling modifying later iterations of the design, but may help those with first production run guns who need a higher mount, like Bartok5.
    Now Ive seen it all

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceiferiro View Post
    earlier it was mentioned a 3-4 week ETA
    I was told that earliest this week or next week.

Bartok. I had to laugh and shake my head at the comment directed at you about proper lubrication. Knowing who you are makes that comment shockingly insulting. I figured out who you are by a previous post on cgn. We crossed paths once on 1-08. I was a young C9 gunner with the PRT FP coy.

Great review, thanks for taking the time to do this.

JR, looks like you have a solid product on the go. I appreciate your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by JDForBrkFst View Post
    Bartok. I had to laugh and shake my head at the comment directed at you about proper lubrication. Knowing who you are makes that comment shockingly insulting. I figured out who you are by a previous post on cgn. We crossed paths once on 1-08. I was a young C9 gunner with the PRT FP coy.
    LOL - good to have met you!
    Mark C

Folding Buttstock Options

Today we take a look at 2 folding buttstock options for the R18, both of which are either currently available from TSE or are under development by SAI for eventual TSE sale.

The first option is the Magpul Zhukov Buttstock, which mounts to the Picatinny Buttstock Rail by way of a 1" Adapter Block. Combined with the 1" Mount integral to the Zhukov Stock system, this results in a 2" non-folding projection immediately behind the rifle.

The second option is the Midwest Industries Folding Picatinny Adapter which adds 1" to the Length of Pull. This Folding Adapter is reversable, which is required to get the Buttstock to fold flat against the Right side of the R18 (rather than hung up on the Cocking Handle on the Left side).

In my view, the Midwest Industries Folding Adapter is the least obtrusive, most streamlined and better looking option of the two. It is also the least expensive option at $150 CAD for the Adapter (in stock now at TSE). Note however that you will have to reverse the direction of fold by flipping the stock over so that it folds to the Right. The Midwest Industries adapter adds exactly 1" to the existing Length of Pull, which is remedied for shorter firing postures by collapsing the Buttstock one adjustment notch.

The Magpul Zhukov Buttstock adds 2" to the overall Length of Pull, requiring that the stock be fully-collapsed to accomodate people of shorter stature. The Zhukov Stock Adapter offers an QD Sing Socket on either side of the adapter whereas the Midwewst Industries Adapter lacks that feature.

In term of incremental upgrades, the 2 x Test Rifles were returned to me with stiffer/stronger Recoil Springs (exhibiting a slightly "snappier" return to battery) as well as some revised Bolt and Carrier parts. Specifically the Bolt Cam Pin has received additional chamfering of the exposed end to aide in smooth cycling and manual operation of the action. Likewise, the end of the Firing Pin Retaining Pin has been rounded-off to ensure smooth cycling within the Upper Receiver. rIn both cases, the revised part is shown to the Left of the original version.

Last edited by Bartok5; 11-20-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    Mark C

Oh nice, good content man.

CGN Regular
    Looks strong enough to beat a dead horse with and more accurate at 100m than I am at 1m with a sharp stick.

So I've just noticed and read this entire thread for the first time today, I think this rifle looks great. I like the features its bringing to the table. I am interested in picking one up in the spring.
    Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.

~Oscar Wilde~

Quote Originally Posted by OCCAM View Post
    Looks strong enough to beat a dead horse with and more accurate at 100m than I am at 1m with a sharp stick.

So I've just noticed and read this entire thread for the first time today, I think this rifle looks great. I like the features its bringing to the table. I am interested in picking one up in the spring.
    Welcome to the discussion of this exciting new hybrid platform!
    Mark C