Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 212141516171819202122232425262728293032 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

Quote Originally Posted by P11 View Post
    yikes
    Time to hit the gym, there big shooter.... Bushmaster ACR weighs 7.9 lbs bare-bones. B+T APC (NR) weighs 9 lbs. FAMAE SG 540 is 7.8 bs. WS MCR = 8 lbs, Tavor X-95 is 7.9 lbs. Based on the weights of available .223/5.56mm rifles in Canada, the R18 is as light as they come. Plus I seriously doubt the "truth" of some of those "internet" rifle weights. From first-hand comparison I can tell you that the wS MCR is an absolute pig compared to the R18, yet is listed as being the same weight? I don't think so, not with the WS MCR's heavy-weight barrel and steel Receiver Side-panels....
    Mark C

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Time to hit the gym, there big shooter.... Bushmaster ACR weighs 7.9 lbs bare-bones. B+T APC (NR) weighs 9 lbs. FAMAE SG 540 is 7.8 bs. WS MCR = 8 lbs, Tavor X-95 is 7.9 lbs. Based on the weights of available .223/5.56mm rifles in Canada, the R18 is as light as they come. Plus I seriously doubt the "truth" of some of those "internet" rifle weights. From first-hand comparison I can tell you that the wS MCR is an absolute pig compared to the R18, yet is listed as being the same weight? I don't think so, not with the WS MCR's heavy-weight barrel and steel Receiver Side-panels....
    LOL absolutely savage! I owned a WK180-c and it was near 10 pounds, my SG-542 is 8.5 (probably heavier than the 540 due to the beefier barrel?). 7.9 pounds is LIGHT for a mdern sporting rifle of this caliber in Canada. One can always skeletonize if they care that much about weight, but I don't know why the weight would matter that much if it's a dependable and sturdy gun.

If it doesn't work, you can always hit 'em with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    WWSD AR15, 4lbs 15 ounces, **Cries in AR15**

Quote Originally Posted by AskMeAboutMyBandcamp View Post
    LOL absolutely savage! I owned a WK180-c and it was near 10 pounds, my SG-542 is 8.5 (probably heavier than the 540 due to the beefier barrel?). 7.9 pounds is LIGHT for a mdern sporting rifle of this caliber in Canada. One can always skeletonize if they care that much about weight, but I don't know why the weight would matter that much if it's a dependable and sturdy gun.

If it doesn't work, you can always hit 'em with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs
    I just took the actual weight of my stripped-down FAMAE 5.56mm SG 540 and it comes in at a hefty 8lbs 13 oz, or 4.0 KG even on a USPS Postal Scale. "Internet" published weights are notoriously under-reported....

PS: Nice "Snatch" reference...
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by FraserGreen View Post
    WWSD AR15, 4lbs 15 ounces, **Cries in AR15**
    A lot of the weight savings on the WWSD is the polymer lower, which also includes a pure plastics stock and eliminates the need for an aluminum buffer tube. It took them a lot of time to get the polymer lower right, and the failures of the original polymer lower of the AR180B can tell you what can go wrong. It would be interesting to see someone like SBI see if they could one day 3D print a lower receiver with either the 1913 on the back or a built in plastic 180 reproduction stock, maybe screwing together two halves like with the Jard J180 lower, but I'm not sure if 3D printing is at the point of being strong enough to make a workable lower, or if the weight savings would even be worth the effort in development time, printing time, and material cost.

The WWSD also uses a carbon fiber handguard to reduce weight. As nice as that would be, the rifle is expensive enough in Canada without that, so that's a logical place to keep using a traditional aluminum hand rail.

WWSD is a niche project gun intended to see how lightweight the modern AR15 can get. Comparisons to an aluminum-receivered AR are not really fair. The WWSD may be lighter, but I'm willing to bet that it would fare poorly in a direct durability comparison (for instance). Everything is a compromise and there are no perfect solutions. Hence the variety of current options on the 5.56mm rifle market, even without the ubiquitous AR15.

With its stock pencil-profile Barrel, the 7.9lb R18 is actually one of the lightest 5.56 self-loading packages remaining on the Canadian market. Anyone looking for a lighter rifle ought to consider a bolt-action or a different calibre....
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-24-2021 at 04:32 PM.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    A lot of the weight savings on the WWSD is the polymer lower, which also includes a pure plastics stock and eliminates the need for an aluminum buffer tube. It took them a lot of time to get the polymer lower right, and the failures of the original polymer lower of the AR180B can tell you what can go wrong. It would be interesting to see someone like SBI see if they could one day 3D print a lower receiver with either the 1913 on the back or a built in plastic 180 reproduction stock, maybe screwing together two halves like with the Jard J180 lower, but I'm not sure if 3D printing is at the point of being strong enough to make a workable lower, or if the weight savings would even be worth the effort in development time, printing time, and material cost.

The WWSD also uses a carbon fiber handguard to reduce weight. As nice as that would be, the rifle is expensive enough in Canada without that, so that's a logical place to keep using a traditional aluminum hand rail.
    hmmm, Now I kinda want a KP15 lower on a BRN180
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceiferiro View Post
    hmmm, Now I kinda want a KP15 lower on a BRN180
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Perfectly possible if you live in the States, completely verbotem up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Perfectly possible if you live in the States, completely verbotem up here.
    yes Im well aware

I'd hardly call the WWSD project 'niche.' It is available from a major American retailer in a ready-to-shoot configuration. While I'm sure SAI had good intentions, I still don't think we should be patting them on the back for making anything 'lightweight.' The receiver is still very chonky and the inclusion of a proprietary handguard eliminates any end-user customization.

Maybe I'm still just salty at the whole OIC rendering many modern sporting rifles safe queens especially when I could have an Non-Restricted one weighing in at 7.5 lbs with an LPVO attached. Also the X95 is heavy, but at least it can hide the weight being a bullpup, that excuse cannot apply to the R18.

Or maybe it's because I see what Brownells has done with the BRN180 and think that we could have attained something similar. 18.5" upper at 77oz, plus a typical MSR lower without any special parts at roughly 33oz has you at 6.875 lbs naked. You can joke about people 'hitting the gym' as much as you want, but you cannot deny after a full day of runnin' and gunnin' a lighter rifle is superior and more enjoyable to shoot.