Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1020222324252627282930313233343536373840 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    The latest update is as follows. SAI recently placed an order for some medium and heavy-weight AR Barrels from IBI. The intent is to conduct further accuracy testing when the Barrels arrive. Therein lies the issue - the revised Barrels (and reduced-diameter, adjustable Gas Blocks) will not be delivered until early in the New Year, so we must wait for further accuracy testing.

Speaking with JR Cox yesterday, TSE may sell R18s with the Pencil-profile Barrel in order to exhaust their stock of those tubes. Parallel sales will feature the Revised barrel (subject to acceptable accuracy testing). Sales of the Pencil Barrel (with the revised, Adjustable Gas Block) will be made with the proviso of 2.5 MOA accuracy with X-Tac 55gr Ball ammo. Those who want the 7.9 lb R18 Mk2 with the Pencil Barrel will be able to obtain one until such time as the existing supply of Pencil Barrels is sold out. Concurrently, those who would prefer the Revised Medium-weight Barrel at the expense of an additional 1 lb of weight will be able to order the 8.9 lb version of the R18.
    Thanks for the update, and the options from the maker! Those who want a lighter rifle or who don't want to wait (or maybe just want to swap in their own barrel) can get the pencil barrel now, and those want premium accuracy at the expense of a little weight and time can wait. IBI should be an excellent alternate choice for great barrels, as they have prior experience with the 180 platform with RWA.

Im digging my heels in the sand for pencil or bust.
    I guess Ill just have to be quick on the draw when they go for sale.

Its very comforting to see the active development and refinement still on going instead of just dumping it on the market as is.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How is the state of art carbon fibre doing now adays? Has it advanced to the point where you could make a gas block without it delaminating? Could it handle the stress of being made a piston op rod? If so, those might for interesting, if not expensive aftermarket parts. It would be even cooler if they could be made from Alberta bitumen, as some tech to turn bitumen to less expensive carbon fibre is heading our way eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    How is the state of art carbon fibre doing now adays? Has it advanced to the point where you could make a gas block without it delaminating? Could it handle the stress of being made a piston op rod? If so, those might for interesting, if not expensive aftermarket parts. It would be even cooler if they could be made from Alberta bitumen, as some tech to turn bitumen to less expensive carbon fibre is heading our way eventually.
    I'm not sure that I'd want to be the Guinea Pig for testing a Carbon-Fibre Gas Block! Although the tech exists to create hard-wearing and complex, synthetic and metal parts (eg. 3D-printed silencers), I am guessing that the developmental costs for a Gas Block would be prohibitive, as would the comparatively high cost of the C-F part itself. Maybe I'm wrong and it is entirely do-able in a cost-effective manner. Is it worth all of the effort necessary to shave a few ounces off of the Gas Block weight? I'm not convinced....
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by FraserGreen View Post
    When did the R18 start to be developed. Has it been able to sit back and learn from the development of the WK and WS?
    Development commenced 18 months ago. The WS-MCR and WK-180 were referenced during the developmental process for issues to avoid (eg. sharp edges, blocky machining, 3D printed parts, etc).
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I'm not sure that I'd want to be the Guinea Pig for testing a Carbon-Fibre Gas Block! Although the tech exists to create hard-wearing and complex, synthetic and metal parts (eg. 3D-printed silencers), I am guessing that the developmental costs for a Gas Block would be prohibitive, as would the comparatively high cost of the C-F part itself. Maybe I'm wrong and it is entirely do-able in a cost-effective manner. Is it worth all of the effort necessary to shave a few ounces off of the Gas Block weight? I'm not convinced....
    Fair enough, just pie-in-the-skying :-)

Especially when Ti is already a thing.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    Especially when Ti is already a thing.
    Yes. The ony issue with Ti is the prohibitive cost for large, machined components (like an Adjustable Gas Block).
    Mark C

CGN Regular
    Wondering why armalite had no issues producing a pencil barreled 180 that had no accuracy issues.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    Wondering why armalite had no issues producing a pencil barreled 180 that had no accuracy issues.
    Of what level of accuracy were original AR18s, AR180s capable?