Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121424 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

So...when do these drop ? I think Im sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokus Grey View Post
    Well written, good info.

Thank you.

Will you be reviewing an "off the rack" rifle once the commercial units are ready?
    I doubt it. This was supposed to be an "off the rack" test of an early production-version of the rifle. However, early on in the review process a number of minor issues were identified that necessitated remedial action prior to entering full production. The decision was made to conduct one more round of "catch-up" improvements prior to product launch, which is occuring as we speak. I will leave any further discussion of production timelines and so forth to JR Cox of The Shooting Edge, as it is his "baby".
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-12-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    Mark C

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceiferiro View Post
    So...when do these drop ? I think Im sold.
    To make sure SAI can incorporate the changes, I am betting that we are 3-4 weeks out from retail sales.

To be honest, most of the deficiencies are minor, but to allow the rifle to be launched without addressing them, would be a shame.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    I'm not finished yet, however you are most welcome to do better should you choose to purchase an R18 Mk2 or are selected by the manufacturer to perform destructive testing. Seeing as how The ammo bill is mine alone to bear (with some relief by way of bulk donations) feel free to assist the cause by sending me some ammo or $$$. I will shoot the expensive match stuff 'til my fingers fall off if you are footing the bill....
    Lol I’m glad you said it bc I was thinking it!

good review, but seems light on the apparent accuracy and failure to feed issues. note that a stronger recoil spring to fix the feed issue will make that weak ejection you also noted worse, hey. either tolerances are too tight (or needs more lube) or design flaw. more shooting; don't rush to market. imagine the squawk if your gun doesn't run as well (or isn't as accurate) as other canadian-made options at half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    To make sure SAI can incorporate the changes, I am betting that we are 3-4 weeks out from retail sales.

To be honest, most of the deficiencies are minor, but to allow the rifle to be launched without addressing them, would be a shame.

JR
    Thats good to hear, it'll also give me more time to restock on .223

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

TSE could do up a DMR or HB platform as the rifle uses a standard AR15 barrel extension, but I don't think I want the price on the basic model to creep up any more.

JR
    It would be interesting to see what effect the heavier barrels will have !

JR
    I really like your agile approach in testing and making the gun Looking forward to more iterations with incremental improvements down the road!

CGN Regular
    To quote Bartok5

"So, all things considered, is the juice worth the squeeze? The street price for the Mk2 with the fixed, AR-style Collapsing Buttstock will be approximately $2,600, with the later Mk3 (Zhukov Folder, Ejection Port Cover, QD Handquard) coming in at a few hundred more. Given the relative dearth of any AR-alternatives in this price-range, I think that the R18 hits a strategic “sweet spot” in terms of pricing. What you get for that extra $1,100 over the cost of an WS-MCR are the vastly improved ergonomics of the heavily revised Lower Receiver with its familiar AR-style control suite and 1913 Buttstock interface, a streamlined and improved (eg. Non-Reciprocating) Charging Handle, Upper Receiver, and a decent Barrel/Bolt combination capable of sub-2 MOA with factory Match ammunifion. On top of that, you receive a rifle with attractive aesthetics and a relatively smooth, streamlined appearance. "

Can you please re try the accuracy with a stock trigger because you were getting "sub-2 MOA" with a roughly $300 trigger. This drives the price up from 2600 to 2900 and is not a fair or accurate representation of what the $2600 price tag gets you. Unless this is the trigger that comes with the rifle?
    Last edited by MitchCDN; 11-12-2021 at 04:16 PM.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the radium king View Post
    good review, but seems light on the apparent accuracy and failure to feed issues. note that a stronger recoil spring to fix the feed issue will make that weak ejection you also noted worse, hey. either tolerances are too tight (or needs more lube) or design flaw. more shooting; don't rush to market. imagine the squawk if your gun doesn't run as well (or isn't as accurate) as other canadian-made options at half the price.
    Fair enough, however: the ejection happens when the recoil spring is about 2/3rds way through the cycle. We'll film "slow motion", but I am willing to bet the stronger spring will not effect the ejection.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans