Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

Realistically a base rifle will be getting around 3 MOA, that’s pretty rough for the price tag. May as well buy a X95 at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman18 View Post
    Realistically a base rifle will be getting around 3 MOA, that’s pretty rough for the price tag. May as well buy a X95 at that point.
    That depends entirely upon how well you personally manage a heavy, mil-spec Trigger. The R18 Mk2's biggest limitation to achieving maximum mechanical accuracy from the system is the ability of the shooter, exacerbated by the stock Trigger. Which is precisely why I chose to eliminate as much of the "Trigger factor" as possible from my accuracy testing....

I think that the R18 Mk2 has demonstrated 2 MOA with bulk-grade PMC 62 gr X-Tac ammo. That it was achieved by a mediocre shooter with an improved Trigger is of no more consequence than a highly-skilled shooter managing the mil-spec Trigger well. Either way, the Barrel/Bolt/Carrier combination is capable of 2 MOA with standard Ball ammo.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
    Are you referring to the huntinggearguy vid?

He didn't even get below 1"

I think this gun is great for what it is. Same with the other 180Bs - discount semi autos for the Canadian market. They are not supposed to be super accurate and never will be.

And on CGN - pics or it didn't happen. I don't think there is a semi auto on the "my gun can shoot 5X5 under 1 MOA thread.
    I would not consider $2600 to be a discount rifle.

If you are referring to other earlier Canadian 180's then yes.

FWIW on my WK180C, once I had my chamber re-reamed (I have a 'very' early WK that had a tight chamber) and the gas block milled to stop it hitting the handguard I went from 3-4MOA with 55gr and other factory ammo to less than 1MOA with handloads using 68gr Hornady Match bullets and the addition of an ALC trigger. Note the squares are less than 1" on that particular target.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...1#post15271320

I suspect with the twist rate of the R18 barrel it 'could' get sub MOA with hand loaded heavier bullets.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    I would not consider $2600 to be a discount rifle.

If you are referring to other earlier Canadian 180's then yes.

FWIW on my WK180C, once I had my chamber re-reamed (I have a 'very' early WK that had a tight chamber) and the gas block milled to stop it hitting the handguard I went from 3-4MOA with 55gr and other factory ammo to less than 1MOA with handloads using 68gr Hornady Match bullets and the addition of an ALC trigger. Note the squares are less than 1" on that particular target.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...1#post15271320

I suspect with the twist rate of the R18 barrel it 'could' get sub MOA with hand loaded heavier bullets.
    One group does not make a rifle consistent.
    Last edited by Ryan.M.Anderson; 11-13-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
    One group does not make a rifle consistent.
    My photos were of average groups for each load tested. No cherry-picked target results. Just saying....
    Mark C

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    That depends entirely upon how well you personally manage a heavy, mil-spec Trigger. The R18 Mk2's biggest limitation to achieving maximum mechanical accuracy from the system is the ability of the shooter, exacerbated by the stock Trigger. Which is precisely why I chose to eliminate as much of the "Trigger factor" as possible from my accuracy testing....

I think that the R18 Mk2 has demonstrated 2 MOA with bulk-grade PMC 62 gr X-Tac ammo. That it was achieved by a mediocre shooter with an improved Trigger is of no more consequence than a highly-skilled shooter managing the mil-spec Trigger well. Either way, the Barrel/Bolt/Carrier combination is capable of 2 MOA with standard Ball ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    My photos were of average groups for each load tested. No cherry-picked target results. Just saying....
    Oh, I very much trust your groups.

This is a semi auto and is performing where I would expect it to.

It isnt supposed to be a sub MOA precision rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchCDN View Post
    And that is completely fair and I appreciate and understand what you are doing. However this is a review of a SAI with Triggertech trigger not a stock SAI. Thus the price of 2600 does not achieve the sub 2 MOA therefore a caveat must me placed on that data. Those are my only points and I believe whilst you make valid points so do I.

Additionally I am interested in this rifle, I am not trying to be contrarian to others opinions. I just wanted to see if it was 3 MOA or less with the stock trigger and reliable as that’s all I’m concerned about. If it were I would leave the stock trigger in the firearm.
    Not sure how the trigger would affect the accuracy potential of a rifle though... With enough experience, one can shoot with very good accuracy with any trigger...

It may affect the accuracy potential of an individual, but not the rifle...

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    Not sure how the trigger would affect the accuracy potential of a rifle though... With enough experience, one can shoot with very good accuracy with any trigger...

It may affect the accuracy potential of an individual, but not the rifle...
    Triggers do change the accuracy outcome of a rifle. No matter how good of a shooter one is, there can be mechanical limitations to a triggers ability due to heavy pull, or just a sloppy trigger.

Like the X95, I don’t even know when it’s going to break and there is so much slop. No matter how hard you try you max out at a certain point due to the limitation of the trigger. Put in an aftermarket trigger pack and Lightning Bow and immediate results.

Super Moderator
    The trigger can affect the shootability of a firearm.
    It doesn't affect the firearm's inherent accuracy.
    Put it in a machine rest and the trigger - heavy, creepy, whatever, is irrelevant.

It appears that a trigger can pointlessly derail a thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    ... It appears that a trigger can pointlessly derail a thread, though.
    So it would seem....
    Mark C