Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819202122232535 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    I have 4 barrels enroute from IBI of various profiles in the MW to HW to test with the SAI system as well... We may have just taken a little too much material away.... We'll see. Even if we run with the SAI pencil barrels, it will be good to see what other options will produce.
    JR

Im very excited for this. Combined with the above mentioned 7076-T6 recievers... wow.. Awesome. I see a lot about 7075-T6 online. Is there a big difference?

Also, for what it's worth, I'd be willing to be a guinea pig individual tester of any future models. I can cover shipping back and forth, and can do testing with whatever off the shelf ammo required from a bench/bag at 50/100/150m.

My comments, concerns, criticisms, commendations aside, I'm already budgeting for a production model in the future and would love to be a part of bringing this thing to market and getting local feedback from whomever I cross paths with at the range, if that sort of thing interests you. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobean View Post
    Fair. Heard, maybe seen, yes. Rejected? Not likely. More ignored since it seems to have been decided on already by the manufacturer. To be fair it doesnt have to be "buy or move on". Along with your review I'd hope they'd enjoy community recommendations for what will obviously be a moderately retweeked mk3, which this thread is chalk full of.

Not everyday the consumer can directly engage in convo with the manufacturer. Always good to hear out your target demographic.

With all do respect, you seem to be mighty defensive over a rifle you're independently reviewing and have no affiliation with. Upset or not, your msgs come across to casual posters a bit intense when most of us are just sharing opinions or represent the masses. Lighten up a bit. We're all pumped for this rifle (14pgs and counting) and all want it succeed. Its clearly looking to be a top tier option for our very Canadian problem.

Great ideas like culling the fluting, strengthening some parts, reducing machining/extra parts. etc have been thrown out and most seem fairly relevant to what I'd hope a manufacturer wants to know from those who affect the profit margins.

Personally, I think that you assign far too much importance to your personal opinions and desires for the R18. Direct feedback to the developer is all well and good, however to expect deletion of a key feature of the rifle with a well-considered eye to future Buttstock compatibility? Completely unreasonable. Which circles back to my first comment.....

As for my alleged excessive defense of the R18, sorry, I don't see it. I have "insider knowledge" of the developmental process behind the rifle from interviews with JR Cox. I have endeavored to pass that information to the target demographic through my review. When it comes to issues like the decision to go with the Picatinny Buttstock, JR and I have already had that conversation, the outcome of which I passed along. JR Cox is a busy man, and my ability to answer basic questions about the rifle on his behalf has beven helpful. If you perceive any of that as untoward bias in favour of the R18, that is your problem. I have zero financial stake in the rifle and stand to benefit in no way from helping out an old friend by agreeing to do the review. Am I excited about the R18? Yes, as I stated in the first sentence of my review. It therefore stands to reason that I am supportive of JR Cox's effort to bring the R18 to market. That's it, that's all there is to it.

I am currently on a deer hunting trip, so my ability to respond and contribute to the thread will be somewhat limited this week. Accuracy and Reliability testing will continue next week.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 11-16-2021 at 02:45 AM.
    Mark C

CGN frequent flyer
    I have 4 barrels enroute from IBI of various profiles in the MW to HW to test with the SAI system as well... We may have just taken a little too much material away.... We'll see. Even if we run with the SAI pencil barrels, it will be good to see what other options will produce.

JR
    For the love of God man, please ship these with the pencil barrels. I'm sick and tired of having to replace barrels on NR rifles so they aren't front heavy pigs. If I want to build a precision rig I'll buy a quality aftermarket barrel.

the fluting is not, but the pic rail was.

To be frank, the fluting only adds an insignificant more to the machining when running 500 barrels at a go...

JR
    I personally am more than happy with pencil barrels , its not the 1960s anymore and modern material and manufacturing has made pencil barrels more than acceptable.

Maybe Im in the minority but Im very happy to hear there is an open dialog SAI over any ideas with future iterations of the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    deletion of a key feature of the rifle with a well-considered eye to future Buttstock compatibility?
    Im still not really convinced of this. What future buttstocks are out there or being released that this option benefits? Only thing Ive seen in this thread is the ability to fold.. which buffer tube adapters allow, unless its a cater to the skeletonized market. This isnt sarcasm, genuinely curious and would love to see examples of stocks ppl would want and use compatible with the rail.

The Picatinny Buttstock may be a "flash in the pan" as you said. Unable to tell the future (like you apparently can), JR had to make design decisions based on the info available too him from industry insiders. It is a done deal, so please stop posting about your personnal disdain for the Buttstock system in my review thread. It has reached the point of distraction and is effectively pointless at this juncture. You got your say (and then some), so please move on now.
    Mark C

I personally think the idea of the grippod buttstock is the final evolution of the buttstock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    FYI, the What Would Stoner Do AR-15 retailed by Brownell's and developed by the team at InRangeTv, Forgotten Weapons, and others, has a pencil barrel. The firearm seems to be doing well, so a pencil barrel would likely also likely work well for the R18.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diemaco View Post
    For the love of God man, please ship these with the pencil barrels. I'm sick and tired of having to replace barrels on NR rifles so they aren't front heavy pigs. If I want to build a precision rig I'll buy a quality aftermarket barrel.
    We will be going forward with the pencil barrel (including the fluting). However, I am going to try other barrels basically to see what the system is "capable" of. In my opinion, I feel all of this chatter about poor accuracy with the PMC XTac shooting under 2 MOA is simply noise at this point: The XTac is the PMC version of the M855; a NATO ball round specified to shoot in the 2 to 2.5 MOA range. The fact that Bartok5 kept it consistently under this, makes me happy. I am curious as to his findings with match and hunting ammo and will wait for his results as they are independent of anything I produce.

The point being: The rifles Bartok5 shot functioned with multiple magazines and multiple ammo selections; including the VERY loud and messy barnaul 55gr ball. You won't have to shoot premium ammo to have fun. The last round fired also produced 100% success for the bolt to catch at the rear.

While this is an expectation; sometimes reality doesn't mirror desires.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Regular
    2moa is more than acceptable accuracy for a rifle of this type. The pencil profile is the best choice, and i think most will appreciate the weight savings. Also glad to see the picatinny stock system being adopted more ubiquitously. It's advantages over the antiquated and unnecessary buffer tube are numerous.