Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1121232425262728293031323334353637383941 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

My original AR180's accuracy was held back by a terribly gritty trigger, the components of which were all stamped steel. That said, it was still capable of 2-2.5 MOA with 55gr Ball ammo - about the same as the R18, in other words. And worthy of note is the fact that the original AR180 Barrel is 1/10" thicker in diameter than the R18 Barrel, meaning that it is heavier and more rigid than the thinner R18 Tube.

If 2-2.5 MOA is insufficient accuracy for your needs/desires, then I recommend picking up one of the R18s with a Medium or Heavy-weight IBI Barrel that will be forthcoming along with the Adjustable Gas Blocks early in the New Year. The only down-side is a 1 lb weight gain from 7.9 to approximately 8.9 lbs dry.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 12-04-2021 at 11:46 PM.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    My original AR180's accuracy was held back by a terribly gritty trigger, the components of which were all stamped steel. That said, it was still capable of 2-2.5 MOA with 55gr Ball ammo - about the same as the R18, in other words. And worthy of note is the fact that the original AR180 Barrel is 1/10" thicker in diameter than the R18 Barrel, meaning that it is heavier and more rigid than the thinner R18 Tube.

If 2-2.5 MOA is insufficient accuracy for your needs/desires, then I recommend picking up one of the R18s with a Medium or Heavy-weight IBI Barrel that will be forthcoming along with the Adjustable Gas Blocks early in the New Year. The only down-side is a 1 lb weight gain from 7.9 to approximately 8.9 lbs dry.
    I have an original AR180 upper mated to a WK180 lower done by B-Wing/ Mot Manufacturing. Barrel is a 1:7 ibi done in the original profile but with that extra half inch as to make it NR.
    From a Rest I get about 2~2.5moa using basic 55gr ball ammo.

Super Moderator
    I think that 2-3 minutes with generic ball ammunition is quite reasonable for a service type rifle. Better with better ammunition.
    It would be nice if groups would go 1 1/2-2 minutes with premium ammunition. That would be entirely satisfactory for something like service rifle competition.

From the manufacturing standpoint, different barrels could be offered as options. Units could be assembled complete less the front end, and barrel assemblies installed according to orders received.

I'm just curious what people are doing with their rifles that means they "must" have sub 2moa or 1moa accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserGreen View Post
    I'm just curious what people are doing with their rifles that means they "must" have sub 2moa or 1moa accuracy.
    Well its always nice knowing the rifle is a nice tight shooter.
    Honestly for me 2.5" groups with 55gr ball is just dandy.

For me, it is mostly about banging steel, so even 2 MOA provides adequate accuracy out to 400m or thereabouts (further with a spotter). I like the ability to chrono a load and enter it into the Kestrel for accurate come-ups at any range the round is capable of. The more consistent the load (in terms of velocity), the more accurate the ballistic data. From that point forward it is all about the inherent accuracy of the rifle and optic combination. The more accurate the rifle & optic, the better the results will be (within reason). As I said, 2 MOA is workable, but 1 MOA is even better for the small plates....
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Back in the day (and even today with non restricted semis), we/I would successfully shoot small targets (like gophers and other pests) at ranges limited only by ones caliber selection...

You see...there are many uses for these types of rifles beyond what the gov't says.

So when would these pencil barrel models be available? I need a new nr rifle to shoot! Looking forward to these

If we're paying upwards of 2600 dollars on a rifle we expect performance proportional to the price tag.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    With the pencil barrel as is, it seems the R18 is capable of some good accuracy before the flyers set when the barrel starts to "whip" from multiple shots. Could the firearm be tested to see at what fire-rate the whipping begins to affect the accuracy? You would then have a precision shooting versus two-gun competition reference firing rate.