Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 919212223242526272829303132333435363739 ... LastLast

Thread: The R18 Mk2 Review Pt 2 Live Fire Reliabllity and Accuracy Results

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    The WK barrel measured .75" in front of the chamber shank out to just before the gas port journal, then flared out to form a shoulder for the gas block. Gas block was standard .75", then tapered again to .65" to just short of the muzzle. I fear they cut too much out from the chamber to the gas block, and that was a carbine length gas system. Quite light, and yes, the rifle was nose heavy. I don't think there really is much to be able to mitigate that other than balancing the overall weight of the rifle out.
    Perhaps Mark IV (two years out let's say) can use Stoner style pseudo piston impinging against the 180 system from a gas tube?

In the meantime, strengthen the barrel enough to get it working properly through thickening or fluting to the amount needed. Best wishes to the producers on finding what is required!

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Perhaps Mark IV (two years out let's say) can use Stoner style pseudo piston impinging against the 180 system from a gas tube?

My concern with going to a DI system is that the whole rifle begins to very closely resemble the banned AR15....
    Mark C

CGN frequent flyer
    ^^Oh look another one…

I look forward to seeing your name in pink..sharpish.
    peace..through superior firepower!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    My concern with going to a DI system is that the whole rifle begins to very closely resemble the banned AR15....
    A firearm that matches my description had its FRT cleared back in July, and build kits with the receiver and internals finally cleared customs after being brought in by a Canadian retailer and started being sold in Octoy. Full rifles are to follow. I know an FRT change could wipe this out, but the same could be said for a piston AR180 if someone squints at it wrong. Another local Canadian manufacturer is working on a gas tube fed BCG to work with the WK and MCR, but primarily to work with their own upper.

Whether these examples are enough to have the developers consider a pseudo-piston impingement against 180 recoil system variant of R18 some day is up to them.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 12-03-2021 at 03:36 AM.

While I do hope the gasblock contact doesnt turn out to be an issue I cannot wait to get this in hand.
    Already have an optic, grips, stock , tape switch and light and Wellsmade sling all set aside waiting for this.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Some people using the WWSD with suppressors were using Faxon Gunner profile barrels. Perhaps something similar would be a good compromise for the the R18? I also read of flyer shift with suppressors on pencil barrels with rapid fire, which they called "whipping"; this sounds similar to the issue with R18, so something like the gunner profile may help. Again, best wishes to the makers of the R18 in the quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Faxon on YouTube

CGN Regular
    What about letting people upgrade this already excellent product with a barrel of their choice. Carbon fibre…

Quote Originally Posted by dracconian View Post
    ^^Oh look another one…

I look forward to seeing your name in pink..sharpish.
    Some of you goofs can't be memorialized fast enough.

The latest update is as follows. SAI recently placed an order for some medium and heavy-weight AR Barrels from IBI. The intent is to conduct further accuracy testing when the Barrels arrive. Therein lies the issue - the revised Barrels (and reduced-diameter, adjustable Gas Blocks) will not be delivered until early in the New Year, so we must wait for further accuracy testing.

Speaking with JR Cox yesterday, TSE may sell R18s with the Pencil-profile Barrel in order to exhaust their stock of those tubes. Parallel sales will feature the Revised barrel (subject to acceptable accuracy testing). Sales of the Pencil Barrel (with the revised, Adjustable Gas Block) will be made with the proviso of 2.5 MOA accuracy with X-Tac 55gr Ball ammo. Those who want the 7.9 lb R18 Mk2 with the Pencil Barrel will be able to obtain one until such time as the existing supply of Pencil Barrels is sold out. Concurrently, those who would prefer the Revised Medium-weight Barrel at the expense of an additional 1 lb of weight will be able to order the 8.9 lb version of the R18.

I ordered the Midwest Industries "Fixed Folding Stock" with Picatinny interface approximately 2 weeks ago from Brownells. It arrived today in good order, with no CBSA interference. It is a very compact solution for those who desire a side-folding stock and don't mind a fixed Length of Pull (LOP). The LOP feels good to me and the folding mechanism (the "Knuckle") is very low-profile. I should note that the folded stock does partially block the ejection path and may cause spin-back stoppages if fired 1980s style, folded from the hip.

Last edited by Bartok5; 12-03-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    The latest update is as follows. SAI recently placed an order for some medium and heavy-weight AR Barrels from IBI. The intent is to conduct further accuracy testing when the Barrels arrive. Therein lies the issue - the revised Barrels (and reduced-diameter, adjustable Gas Blocks) will not be delivered until early in the New Year, so we must wait for further accuracy testing.

Speaking with JR Cox yesterday, TSE may sell R18s with the Pencil-profile Barrel in order to exhaust their stock of those tubes. Parallel sales will feature the Revised barrel (subject to acceptable accuracy testing). Sales of the Pencil Barrel (with the revised, Adjustable Gas Block) will be made with the proviso of 2.5 MOA accuracy with X-Tac 55gr Ball ammo. Those who want the 7.9 lb R18 Mk2 with the Pencil Barrel will be able to obtain one until such time as the existing supply of Pencil Barrels is sold out. Concurrently, those who would prefer the Revised Medium-weight Barrel at the expense of an additional 1 lb of weight will be able to order the 8.9 lb version of the R18.

I ordered the Midwest Industries "Fixed Folding Stock" with Picatinny interface approximately 2 weeks ago from Brownells. It arrived today in good order, with no CBSA interference. It is a very compact solution for those who desire a side-folding stock and don't mind a fixed Length of Pull (LOP). The LOP feels good to me and the folding mechanism (the "Knuckle") is very low-profile. I should note that the folded stock does partially block the ejection path and may cause spin-back stoppages if fired 1980s style, folded from the hip.

I came. Welp, guess I know what I'm building next.