Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reloading situation in canada

Be careful with substituting to achieve ballistics ! Yes you can but, going by a burn rate chart for instance is just the very "first" step in load development, I have been loading and casting since the 70s, I use "gallery loads" (reduced loads) for cost effectiveness and also experimented with "like " burnt rates to test (such as Leverevolution in place of CFE223 and varget for instance) to get maximum fps.

Position sensitive powders, reduced powder capacity, too slow a powder for case volume just to name a few...you can have a bad day if your primer flame jumps your reduced powder charge and burns from both ends or ,too slow a powder in a large case full and the primer only pushes the projectile into the rifling, now you have an obstruction and with a hang fire !you can guess what that would do!

Thank goodness for ballistic experimentation, if we didn't have people willing to test in controlled environment with great documentation and science to back it up, we would likley still playing with black powder! There is tons of good resurch and precautions on line and in loading book's.

CGN Regular
    I only really use Varget but have several other powders here just in case I can’t find any Varget if I run out, although I doubt I’m gonna run out. Lol
    I love the sound that a law makes when I break it!

CGN frequent flyer
    Those are good powders for different applications (rifle vs pistol), but in Canada it's always been a matter of checking the reloading manual to get a list of powders that work for the calibre and bullet you're trying to reload, and then checking if hopefully one of those is actually available here.

I have been using W-748 for 223 and 308 it all that I could find a couple months ago

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    i'm loving this conversation

i just slashed some reloading press prices till the 16th

they are getting harder to come by as well

https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...equipment.html
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

CGN Ultra frequent flyer unstableryan's Avatar
    I'd go with 3031, with a 45-70 and heavy bullets you just can't quite put enough in to max out, but it is still pretty good. I've used it to play with 500gr bullets that I couldn't crimp right. Just 105% load and seat hard. can't go back any farther in the case and still has respectable numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Meroh View Post
    Hodgdon recommends these, so this would be a great starting point:
    Benchmark
    H322
    H4198
    H4895
    IMR 3031
    IMR 4064
    IMR 4895
    Trail Boss
    Varget

Right now when you come across something you need or want you have to act fast or you'll miss out. Supply is so limited and demand is high so if you waffle over not wanting to pay the price it will be gone before you decide.
    Ask me, I know.

It's shipping and courriors that is the problem now.
    CCFR, CSSA, NFA, CPC, BCWF, S.74

Best powder advice is to ALWAYS check with a reputable reloading manual (Sierra, Hornady, Nosler etc.) They will list the powder options for a particular round.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Cocked&Locked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kawicrash View Post
    That chart was published in 2012, might be a bit behind the times.
    Or too recent.
    ...if one is looking for information on additional discontinued powders (some on the chart are discontinued, very useful for those who stockpiled during the good times for 40 years).
    The chart is good.
    We are annoyed by the assumption on the part of certain public figures that the citizen should be able to prove the need for the citizen to acquire a means of protecting himself. The citizens personal needs are certainly no business of the state. Liberty, when it's in place, grants the right of the citizen to do what he chooses, as long as he does not stamp on the rights of others.
    JEFF COOPER

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast