Thread: First-Time Seller Questions

CGN frequent flyer

First-Time Seller Questions

Hi All,

I've never sold anything through EE, so today I spent like 5Hrs going over threads describing rules and 'best practices' - and still have questions, mainly on the sequence of events.

If buyer and I agree on a deal, do I contact CFO to initiate a transfer (and get an ATT to Canada Post), or do I get EMT first? Is it better to receive an EMT but not to deposit it until CFO comes through? I don't want to promise delivery dates that are out of my control, but also don't want to start the whole transfer process unless I know I'm getting paid at the end.

If asking for shipping costs, do sellers usually get a ballpark cost by getting an estimate from Canada Post website, knowing buyer's Postal Code? Am I allowed to insist on Insurance and Priority shipping?

TIA.

Get funds before starting transfer of restricted items. If the buyer is weary because you are a first time seller offer to take partial payment with the rest being paid as soon as you provide the transfer reference #. if they back out you can always call RCMP back and cancel the transfer before it gets approved.

Get full funds before shipping anything else.

I use CP estimator to get a ballpark of the expedited shipping costs and I advise that it comes with $100 of shipping insurance, anymore is the responsibility of the buyer. if you insist on full insurance and shipping priority that can be quite expensive and might turn off a ton of potential buyers.

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    And yes you will a Temp Att to ring it to the post office for shipping.

Super GunNutz
    First time sellers must offer me at least 50% discount, you know, to build up the trust… lol JK

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    First time sellers must offer me at least 50% discount, you know, to build up the trust… lol JK
    LOL. 10 points for that 45C.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    From Canada post web site " Due to changes to our delivery process for COVID-19, all firearms must be shipped by Regular Parcel™ or Expedited Parcel™ and include the Proof of Age option. Consumers have to open a Solutions for Small Business account and create labels for shipping firearms using the online shipping tool, Snap Ship. " P.S. It's easy !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Do people really calculate shipping? Rule #1 anything over 100 cm long is $20 more. Other than that the variances don't differ that much but I guess there are some penny pinchers out there. I just dealt with a guy who charged me $50 and said he refunds me the difference if less, it was less and he did.

Sometimes when I collected a few bucks more than shipping actually is, I just do some additional insurance.
    Last edited by scianna54; 11-23-2021 at 10:44 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by aridan View Post
    Hi All,

I've never sold anything through EE, so today I spent like 5Hrs going over threads describing rules and 'best practices' - and still have questions, mainly on the sequence of events.

If buyer and I agree on a deal, do I contact CFO to initiate a transfer (and get an ATT to Canada Post), or do I get EMT first? Is it better to receive an EMT but not to deposit it until CFO comes through? I don't want to promise delivery dates that are out of my control, but also don't want to start the whole transfer process unless I know I'm getting paid at the end.

If asking for shipping costs, do sellers usually get a ballpark cost by getting an estimate from Canada Post website, knowing buyer's Postal Code? Am I allowed to insist on Insurance and Priority shipping?

TIA.
    You must NOT ship express or priority. Standard or expedited, there about the same, so ship expedited and you have to open a small business account first and print out the labels with signature and proof of age. Most people just ship $100 insurance which is included. I only ever had one guy who wanted full insurance. Up to you but there are many ways to make people angry when they want to save money and you insist.

With a new seller, volunteer to provide your full details with ID and phone number (I still do this is as seller when people ask for it). For non restricted, most people message or email PAL (no need to call CFC) or some provide their number, then you can verify with CFC.

For restricted, usually EMT first, then initiation of transfer but there is no risk for you to initiate first and then ask for payment, you can always cancel the transfer.

One last thing, don't take people's money and take your sweet time to ship (of course with restricted you have to wait for the approval).
    Last edited by scianna54; 11-23-2021 at 10:43 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Thank you all for most valuable advise!

Always ship with insurance of the full value. If it gets lost and the buyer wants their money back, consumer protection laws are on their side and if they sue they'll win.