Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our good Friend Clint

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by MapleSugar View Post
    Thanks! It sure looks like a Burris XTR.

BTW, what kind of spotting scope do you use?
    I'm using a Swaro STR80 with the Mil reticle for a spotter.

Funny story: I was at the Varlcartier ELR match a few years back, watching the finals.

I was in the market for a spotter, and had a chance to look at a bunch of spotters with reticles side-by-side: Most were pretty good then someone let me watch some rounds through his Swarovski. (Thanks Ryan!)
    <sigh>
    The Swarovski was over $1000 more than the Vortex I was expecting to buy and I have never regretted it.

Looks like a fine afternoon.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MapleSugar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harwood View Post
    I'm using a Swaro STR80 with the Mil reticle for a spotter.

Funny story: I was at the Varlcartier ELR match a few years back, watching the finals.

I was in the market for a spotter, and had a chance to look at a bunch of spotters with reticles side-by-side: Most were pretty good then someone let me watch some rounds through his Swarovski. (Thanks Ryan!)
    <sigh>
    The Swarovski was over $1000 more than the Vortex I was expecting to buy and I have never regretted it.
    Thank you very much!

I've been wondering what the big boys use!

I'm glad to see that they have them in MOA, too. (That's what all my scopes are set up for.)

Youch! They're expensive, though!

I think I'll wait to pick one up in the States (if I can ever move down there.)

They're about $900 cheaper, from what I can see.
    The Plague Rats go marching one by one! Hurrah! Hurrah!...

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by MapleSugar View Post
    Youch! They're expensive, though!
    Yeah good optics are always spendy: it is always a question of trade-offs. The more expensive the glass the fewer compromises you have to make.

All of our spotting was done at the lowest magnification (20x) as the culminating point was ~10 mils above line-of-sight, so we needed big field-of-view to catch swirl, but then great clarity and resolving power to spot on-target effects a mile away at low magnification.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 45Guru View Post
    He must have had an amazing spotter!
    At that range you dont really need a spotter lol. Tons of time to get back on target.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    At that range you dont really need a spotter lol. Tons of time to get back on target.
    <chuckle> Inside joke: 45Guru was spotting for me that day, and I for him. He was running a stock CDX-33 in 338 Lapua.

Agreed on the tonnes of time! My TOF was like 2.7s, so I was easily able to spot my own hits. Misses were quite another thing though: The rifle scope didn't have enough field of view for me to catch swirl, so if there wasn't a hit on target or splash pretty near it, the spotter really was needed.

Even more fun was with sound travel time the delay between the rifle report and hearing the steel ring was like 6 seconds. It was wild.

Boom!
    Ding!

Bahahahhahahahahah!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MapleSugar's Avatar
    Yeah good optics are always spendy: it is always a question of trade-offs. The more expensive the glass the fewer compromises you have to make.

All of our spotting was done at the lowest magnification (20x) as the culminating point was ~10 mils above line-of-sight, so we needed big field-of-view to catch swirl, but then great clarity and resolving power to spot on-target effects a mile away at low magnification.
    That's good to know! Thanks for the information!
    The Plague Rats go marching one by one! Hurrah! Hurrah!...

CGN Regular
    <chuckle> Inside joke: 45Guru was spotting for me that day, and I for him. He was running a stock CDX-33 in 338 Lapua.

Agreed on the tonnes of time! My TOF was like 2.7s, so I was easily able to spot my own hits. Misses were quite another thing though: The rifle scope didn't have enough field of view for me to catch swirl, so if there wasn't a hit on target or splash pretty near it, the spotter really was needed.

Even more fun was with sound travel time the delay between the rifle report and hearing the steel ring was like 6 seconds. It was wild.

Boom!
    Ding!

Bahahahhahahahahah!
    Oh rly i feel like thats a good piece of glass. I get my own swirl (sounds bad when i say it like that) in my XRS all the time. Maybe its just different atmospherics allowing that. Also thats at like 1500-2200yards so the bullet is going waaay slower. Hard to say.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Oh rly i feel like thats a good piece of glass. I get my own swirl (sounds bad when i say it like that) in my XRS all the time. Maybe its just different atmospherics allowing that. Also thats at like 1500-2200yards so the bullet is going waaay slower. Hard to say.
    Interesting! I think I know what is going on: How much magnification are you running?

I generally run as much as the air will support, and so was running about 30x all weekend. That only leaves me with 5-7 mils above LOS, so all I'm seeing for swirl is a brief downflash.

I'm used to shooting in soupy, humid, ~1000ft dalts, and going up to ~4000ft dalt it felt like I could see everything, so I may have been a little <ahem> enthusiastic on the mag dial.

Do you think it would have been an advantage to dial the mag back to self-spot even though I had a spotter?

CGN Regular
    Honestly this system feels pretty inexpensive.

Sure Brass is $5 per but Petersen brass lasts well. The rifle is actually a 338 EnABELR; so I’m shooting 300gr Scenars, call it $1 per bullet. It does burn a LOT of powder and barrel life will probably be short; say 1000 rounds.

So if I get 10 reloads out of the brass my actual per shot cost is
    $1 bullet
    $1 powder. (Ow! Really!)
    $0.075 primer
    $0.50 brass
    $1.25 amortized barrel

I’m still under $5 a round. The run cost of this rifle is really quite low; more powder than a 338 Lap but all the other costs are the same.

Now shooting lathe turned solids from a Tremor in 416 Barrett was expensive…and so very much fun!
    Those numbers seem pretty reasonable to me! I kind of got discouraged from ELR when my 416 barrett ended up on the ban list (I have around 300 of those lathe turned solids on my shelf right now and tons of primed brass) but if I decide to try again I will likely go with the cadex in either 375 or 338 ebabelr. Great shooting though! I should try out that range sometime.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast