Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday is now over...... I want your thoughts.

To be honest most of the Black Friday deals I seen were the same discount sales I get sent to my email from all the retailers a few times a month, every month.

There is always a sale around the corner if you have a bit of patience.

I found black Friday to have very few deals in my opinion at gun shops, Canadian tire, even Walmart. Not sure its pandemic related or just a sign of things to come. I literally wouldn't bother going out again if its the same next year. O bought a small TV for my garage at Walmart for black Friday price of $188, and today its still on sale for the same price with a bunch of unsold units on the floor.

In years past I spent thousands at the wolverine black Friday sale (hope you guys remember me i bought up all your sks), this year zero, waiting for some deals to come back.
    I don't need a signature, my word is my bond.

I can only speak from retail electronics/computer bits side of things...there are next to no margins there either...profit is made on accessories and service. Black Friday and Boxing day are a pain in the arse. Most things on sale will be crap the retailer is trying to get rid of, or good things bundled with crap the retailer is trying to get rid of.

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't miss being involved in retail at this time of year...in general, people are not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
    I bought into a black firday sale, that i just happened to come across while not looking at all.

Then the dealer held it for me as UPS wouldnt accept packages to this part of BC due to road closures. (Its shipped now)

So im excited i found that deal.

Geoman, Usp ships ammo for a reasonable rate. It was 39$ to have a few pounds of powder a few thousand primers and 1000 22rimfire from Ontario to BC.
    I was thinking more of heavier stuff. $40 on 250 20 gauge from Outside Toronto to eastern Ontario in late October but it was heavy lol! Glad you got what you needed always good to have happy campers around!

I don't generally shop around for much else than what I need as well. Turns out I was in the market for a new .22 and decided to treat myself to a 10/22.
    While I was browsing I noticed the same site had 7.62x39 crates on sale as well as bulk .22. I was already stocked up but this saves me a trip to the city for ammo for at least another year.

The extra shipping charges brought it up to what I'd have spent in store last year but regardless it saves me 250$ on gas and a 12hr round trip.
    I can only see prices going up from here so when I see a good deal I buy what I need x2.
    Last trip to the city I bought a year's supply of fishing gear (extra line, lures, plastic grubs, etc), as well as a new 10ft Jon boat for a great price. The boat dealer said shortly after I bought mine (I pre-paid it 3 weeks before I picked it up) all their 10ft Jon's were sold into next year.

Only thing I couldn't find was butcher wrap which I'll have to find soon as I've got a 2 limit bear hunt in the spring and it looks like a bull moose hunt in the fall.

I always sale hunt, this year I noticed less selection of sale items. Supply chain issues plus the demand in firearms industry over the last 2yrs, just the situation we’re in. I did finally buy a plate carrier that ive been on the fence about for a year or 2. It was 20% off which is the highest discount I’ve seen offered on it. Also bought some ceramic plates since they were somewhat discounted as well.

Almost glad that the sales weren’t amazing. With the covid mandate & job instability, trying not to spend. Didnt notice many sales with retailers in other fields. Amazon is always a scam, I’ve had items in my cart waiting fir Black Friday and prices always increase before, then drop down again after.
    IG @2eh.j

Big issue why I didn't purchase was shipping costs + extra fees eg on a handgun the shipping was $46 and the "oversize" fee (on a handgun) was $20 extra so essentially eliminated any discount. I am also in a major city not rural.

Historically, Black Friday was one a one day sale, in the U.S. Then they added Cyber Monday.
    Then it came to Canada and we made it a long weekend. Now there's Black Friday Sales for a week before and a week after.
    It's the same with Boxing Day. Once a highly anticipated sale day in Canada, now you can get Boxing Day sales for a month before and after Boxing Day.
    These sales are mostly meaningless now as they just blend right in with every other weekly/monthly sale.
    That being said, there was a few vendors who stuck to just the four day weekend sale but even their discounts weren't that special (that I saw).
    Don't get me wrong, I did do a little shopping because a percentage off is a percentage off. As others have mentioned though, not nearly as much as I was hoping to.
    If the discounts were higher, I would have bought more and spent more. As it was, I just ended up getting what I needed and not want I wanted.
    My two cents.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    One just can't speak about this without considering the mess we are in nowadays. Around 2015 I picked up some shifts at Cabelas to supplement my gun budget a bit (I had a full time employment somewhere else). After 15 or so months of working there I had a pretty good idea about the reality of retail and profit margins on guns. Even back then people were going ballistic around Christmas and bigger sales. Nowadays I see some crazy aggression in every aspect of daily life. More and more drivers are extremely aggressive, people in the grocery stores are doing things that they never did before, folks are arguing about the parking spots and so it goes. Even neighbors seem to keep to themselves mostly. So, no I'm not surprised that you may feel being targeted by the tough crowd. At the slightest.

What do I want from sales? Perhaps it is not going to be a huge surprise, but all I want is a really good deal.
    We still own the same 21" TV that we bought when we moved to Canada 14 or so years ago. We can barely see anything in it as we are getting older and the screen is smaller than most computer monitors those days. I looked around and didn't see any good deals really, so we will wait a bit longer. Why am I telling you about that? Just to illustrate that some people may actually be willing to wait for the real deals.
    If those can not be offered (which is fair), than IMHO there is no need to call those special days "sales".
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mikeelliot's Avatar
    I am curious how firearms businesses KPIs are affected by black Friday. I hope it helps you guys out but as said I assume with margins how they are it doesn't really give the business the boost like it does to other industries.

The only thing I bought on black Friday was crypto. To be honest nothing I really wanted or needed was on sale. In years past I bought alot of components and optics, but the deals were almost too good to be true. I didn't see one of those deals except the MDT ACC screw up lol

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast