Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday is now over...... I want your thoughts.

Free shipping.. except on ammo

such BS

CGN Regular
    black friday aka unloading old ass stock at normal prices with discount. The amount of impatient people and constantly asking where is my order is staggering. Black friday is the worst ####ing time of the year and customers get stupider and fall for the same tricks.

Honestly I think people are under a lot of stress lately. money is getting tighter, housing, food, gas are more expensive, commutes with terrible drivers are getting longer. People go home to their loved ones and social media makes them want the latest and greatest. I feel people are just on short fuses. Not to mention people wanting to steal my property……..liberals
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    Adolf Hitler, 1935

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    my thoughts?
    I worked for one of BC's premier sports fishing shops for a few years and then took a position with another larger outfit as retail marketting and purchasing agent. I was responsible for purchasing and pricing and also purchasing and pricing specifically for the "expected" sales that the retail industry has annually, black friday being one of them. The Vancouver Boat Show fishing booths were always a huge challenge and something i was glad to put behind me.

But Black Friday specifially.... I never understood why Canadian's need to adopt american retail models but they have and now the consumer "expects" their favorite retailer to have store shelf stocked with everything at 70% off LOL
    My bosses at the fishin tackle shop in my first gig refused to have Boxing Day or Black Friday sales and we were simply closed those days. However , that store was well known for the 2 times a year when they put on week long sales with all the reps from the many companies involved.

Personally, I think with covid causing lost revenue for nearly 2 years now coupled with supply chain issues, the consumer is asking wayyyy to much to expect every retailer to take part in the money loser that is Black Friday.
    I respect any business who simply closes their doors on black friday but many have developed a business model that "depends" on it now so it's a tough one either way.

Retailers (not just gun related) selling an item for 249 all year then on black friday selling the same item for 289 "on sale" from 329 is the kind of things that make me not trust retailers. I take even less trust when that item actuall goes to 329 until boxing day it goes "on sale" again for 289. I just expect retailers to not play me for a fool

Anything for 'sale' this year is still basically +20 points over 12-18 months ago.. sure it's a short term reduction/deduction, but overall all of the retailers have been forced to significantly jack prices. Last year I bought 2000rnds Winchester 9mm for less than $550 - this year that same stock was $770+.

As for shopping at Wolverine, a short number of years back I bought was supposed to be a 'new' in box SA firearm, only for it to show up clearly used, obviously dirty, slight wear on the mag lips and so on - have never bought another firearm from Wolverine since then. Money isn't everything - even on Black Friday.

GunNutz
    Bought some B&T parts with no discount and plus shipping. Price is always the way much cheaper than buying from US via importer.

Waiting for shipment...

Hobby is hobby, buy whenever you are comfortable with the price over expectation

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine .303 View Post
    So I'll be honest, hunting season all the way through winter is basically my favourite time of year. BUT, Black Friday and Christmas are my least favourite things about this time and I'll tell ya why.

My view coming from the side of things as someone whom works within retail, be it firearms or anything else is a little more shall we say blunt. It is one of the most toxic times of the year, and without going into details some interactions can be outright preposterous for no reason..... Not all mind you, we have some we speak to daily, weekly, monthly, old and new alike we have some pretty amazing customers. But this time of year brings out the worst in some.

My view as a regular guy looking to buy something cheap....I don't. I rarely buy things I don't need I'm a simple living style of person. Pretty sure the last thing I bought ( that wasn't some silly cheap $100.00 gun that comes through the door ) was a TV 4x years ago because ours finally died.. I don't really sale shop, if I need something I buy it.

Sometimes something comes up and I'm like, "dang, that's a good deal...." and I'll buy something. But I don't actively shop for deals on things I don't need. Anyways those are my views...

For anyone who was looking around this past week, what did you think?

Were sales up to your "standards"?

What do you expect from firearms retailers on Black Friday?

I am not going to go into the intricacies of working within the realm of the firearms industry, but let me tell you it is like no other. Don't get me wrong either this is not some "whah whah whining thread" I am genuinely curious as to what people's expectations are here.

Electronics, clothing, and other more "heavily-consumed" items are not even close to the same as firearms. Margins, deliveries, distributors, everything is totally different so trying to compare it may turn out to be very disappointing.

Let me know I would like to hear it.. And please keep in mind, this isn't strictly about Wolverine's sales or promotions. I am asking you a general question about the entirety of the Black Friday week you have just experienced within the firearms industry.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kevino86 View Post
    Free shipping.. except on ammo

such BS
    I wanna change my answer. People like this entitled guy is why I hate Black Friday.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There was some good deals, not much though. I didn't buy anything. I am the guy retailers hate and love. I research the product i want, learn the prices and wait for a good deal. Then head to the store, buy it go home. I waste little time in the store, sales reps find a guy that knows what he wants. I also don't like being upsold etc. I politely decline anything. Or i purchase online and wait for the delivery truck.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    I didn’t expect Firearm retailers to put on any sales. The increases in the cost of goods probably makes the profit margin fairly thin.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread