Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday is now over...... I want your thoughts.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    a victim of it's own success.
    I agree with this completely.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I look at these sales but there is nothing I need. The reality is quality products aren't going to be discounted much as the sales volumes are small compared to most of the stuff that's flogged during this week. Gun sales this week are the same as gun sales for any other time of the year.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    My strategy this BF season was based on my interpretation of the world, specifically that we are in the midst of massive inflation and product shortages that have no end in sight. This is driving the new and used purchase price of a lot of items way, way up, and I think the trend will continue. Combined with inflation, this is making holding onto cash a money-losing proposition more than it's been since probably the 1930s.

I watched carefully for sales on items I was interested in and knew the regular street price. When an item became available at a price I felt was not likely to be available in the next 9 months, and enough of a discount from street pricing that the cost of purchasing it and deciding to sell it later would not be substantial, I bought it (sometimes in multiple quantity).

This strategy isn't markedly different from the past. But the biggest difference this year was the 'rising tide' of inflation and shortage that made buying now more appealing than ever.
    "The stuff comes and goes. Just buy it cheap and stack it deep." - CGN member gushulak on ammo
    "If you're limp wristing you aren't hitting anything anyway so it makes no difference if the gun fails." - CGN member Kidd X on Glocks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    There's plenty of fake sales out there for Black Friday.

I literally watched a pair of boots go UP by $15 on Black Friday at Mark's Work Wearhouse (owned by Canadian Tire).

The boots normally sell for $60.
    But for Black Friday; they were $75, marked down from $100.

CGN frequent flyer Somerset Bar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adamg View Post
    My strategy this BF season was based on my interpretation of the world, specifically that we are in the midst of massive inflation and product shortages that have no end in sight. This is driving the new and used purchase price of a lot of items way, way up, and I think the trend will continue. Combined with inflation, this is making holding onto cash a money-losing proposition more than it's been since probably the 1930s.

I watched carefully for sales on items I was interested in and knew the regular street price. When an item became available at a price I felt was not likely to be available in the next 9 months, and enough of a discount from street pricing that the cost of purchasing it and deciding to sell it later would not be substantial, I bought it (sometimes in multiple quantity).

This strategy isn't markedly different from the past. But the biggest difference this year was the 'rising tide' of inflation and shortage that made buying now more appealing than ever.
    You forgot to mention the ease with which people can get credit. Our debt levels are off the chart, and I believe THAT will be our final undoing, when the government comes in to "ease our burden". Remember the phrase "you'll own nothing, and love it!"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mikeyb's Avatar
    Not much really tickled my fancy this year. I bought some Zenni prescription glasses for backup and some odds and ends, but no guns, ammo, glass, etc. I know what I want and not willing to buy something for the sake of a good deal, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the things I do want (including a few items from Wolverine) and if they are in stock when I'm ready to buy I'll go for it.

Also, supply chain and just supply in general really crapped the bed this year. Not the fault of vendors waiting on deliveries, but it does have an impact when all you can really get are some Turkish shotguns and Chinese pistols.
    Mikey B

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Bar View Post
    You forgot to mention the ease with which people can get credit. Our debt levels are off the chart, and I believe THAT will be our final undoing, when the government comes in to "ease our burden". Remember the phrase "you'll own nothing, and love it!"
    1% interest rate on massive mortages that, even at 1%, are only feasible for payback by assuming indefinite inflation in housing prices - to me the only way forward is to devalue the currency by printing money. There's no way they can increase interest rates without bankrupting something like 30% of homeowners, which is not a tenable move by the government. Printing money, however, solves every problem they have created and will get them reelected.

All of which is to say: I don't like cash right now.
    "The stuff comes and goes. Just buy it cheap and stack it deep." - CGN member gushulak on ammo
    "If you're limp wristing you aren't hitting anything anyway so it makes no difference if the gun fails." - CGN member Kidd X on Glocks

Personally never have been all that impressed with Black Friday sales, not for what interests me anyway, if I were into Nike, clothes or purses, maybe, but from what i have witnessed in the firearms and hunting industry the sales are not all that tempting (Mark up margins likley the cause), possibly if i was after one particular items wanting badly, but it usealy takes quick key board trigger finger in most cases to only be disappointed on out of stock item! all to save maybe 10-15%.

I am always on the hunt for different firearms, not necessarily new but I have a long bucket list slowly aquiring, used is fine, since covid and ellection shortages , Rifle and shooting supplies are through the roof, I am into lever actions and what you could have bought for $950 in 2019 are now $1150 (people are paying it though so!)even the used market is crazy $1200 for a used 44 mag marlin lol! The only thing I stay stocked up on and plan on buying is reloading supplies,I stock up around prior to USA ellections learning my lessons .

Retailers are not to blame with prices and lack of product, we are victims of the US and their gun cultures, paranoia and hoarding !

Canadian retailers and enthusiasts are missing out on some possibilities through other avenues, promoting such things as shotgun only hunting season's, straight wall cartridge season's and black powder muzzle loader season's, would create a new breed of hunters and an other pile of sales for guns and gear , some provinces have moved to one or two seasons, but the majority is rifle and bow only.

Got 10% off a tikka, I was happy about that. I do wish that I was able to make it in to your shop on Tuesday but I ended up busy cutting up my deer. Your deals on foxpro products were amazing!

I think it’s been a tough couple years for retailers and consumers alike. Between shortages and increasing prices meeting unemployment or simply less work for some trades.. Deals are nice but not at all a priority at the moment for me personally.

Having said that though, I did buy a couple Zulu pieces from John.

PS.. Bring in some cosmoline and fence post augers with extensions please.

GunNutz
    I was looking for reloading supplies, the places that had them weren't on sale or the shipping cost killed it. So many shortages of things in general. Sales aside, I could find item A at one website, but item B only at another. Never together, and shipping costs made it next to pointless to buy that way. Some things I have some passing interest in, like a ruger wrangler, weren't on any better sales than any other time of the year.

I did buy from MDT, but to be fair to them and you, I doubt I'd buy the chassis at the regular retail price anyway. It's kind of a novelty thing for me.