Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nato Surplus Ballistic Plates Now Available For Order!

Sorry but my question never got answered….umm do these plates crumble after one shot?

Does this plates, in new condition, require sleeves?
    Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    We will be testing these shortly to show the results. These are surplus from around 1999.

Cool thanks for the update

Lol sweet, even if your not buying it’s still very interesting to see how 20plus year old ceramic plates hold up.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Sorry but my question never got answered….umm do these plates crumble after one shot?
    Typically these types of plates are multi-hit rated, they have a ceramic layer and also a poly (UHMWPE) layer. Usually they would be good for multiple hits, however once hit in a specific spot that small area is compromised.. so if by chance that small area got hit more than once.. the next round there is probably coming through. Usually companies also have an expiry date on their plates, but that is because cracks can develop from dropping, hard use, etc. but mostly I think so they can sell new plates to military and police forces. Also level 3 won't stop AP rounds or certain other types of rounds. Honestly though, these plates would probably serve most civilians very well.. since it is a heck of a lot better than nothing.
    Last edited by Revv; 12-05-2021 at 09:46 AM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cycoblade View Post
    Size 10"x12" - Hmmm, able to make it a shooters cut?
    Flat Shaped - Hmmm, time to lose the belly
    Original Protection Level 3 Rating - Hmmm, 3A or 3+? Does it still maintain that rating or...?
    No mention of each or pair
    I would suspect that it is a straight level 3 rated for .308 ball type rounds (can't say for sure though seeing as it's European, and 20-years since issue). If it was a 3A it probably wouldn't be a ceramic composite, and 3+ plates seem to be a newer trend in armor to stop specific common military rounds that aren't AP. Level 4 or (IV) supplying protection for many AP rounds, but generally the tradeoff is much higher weight and/or thickness.

If you need a shooters cut, then you might want to search for other options, as modifying a composite plate (or really any plate) without destroying it would probably be difficult. If nothing else, since these aren't shooter cut, these would probably make great back plates or insert plates for a backpack as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Firearms View Post
    This is another item that arrived . We have a few of these. They are half plates curved 6" x 10".

What are they for? Who knows, maybe short people, or maybe an extension plate for tall people.

Unless they are marked "Su Questa Via" just rotate 180 degrees and there one has a plate for the tall torso guy
    Thank You Frontier firearms for keeping us in the game during these stressful times.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Revv View Post
    I would suspect that it is a straight level 3 rated for .308 ball type rounds (can't say for sure though seeing as it's European, and 20-years since issue). If it was a 3A it probably wouldn't be a ceramic composite, and 3+ plates seem to be a newer trend in armor to stop specific common military rounds that aren't AP. Level 4 or (IV) supplying protection for many AP rounds, but generally the tradeoff is much higher weight and/or thickness.

If you need a shooters cut, then you might want to search for other options, as modifying a composite plate (or really any plate) without destroying it would probably be difficult. If nothing else, since these aren't shooter cut, these would probably make great back plates or insert plates for a backpack as well.
    Revv, you rock. Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Revv View Post
    these would probably make great back plates or insert plates for a backpack as well.
    Exactly what I was thinking, or a Tasmanian Tiger seat back panel. I have two of these plates coming so I will test them in both the computer sleeve of my Maxpedition pack and the TT seat back panel and see how they fit.

Thanks for bringing these in Frontier ( :
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast