First time to the range advice needed

ichigo27

Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I am looking to take my first restricted pistol to the range.

Can I use the case the pistol came in and use a cable lock/trigger lock and lock the case? Can I have a trigger guard on it and put it in my range bag? or is there some other method I need to use to transport?

TIA for a noob question.

Use a trigger lock or cable lock on the firearm.

Put it in a case.

Lock the case.

It's not mandatory to have the reg cert with it but you may as well put the reg cert in there too.

Also, most cases that pistols come in are too tight to use a trigger lock but sometimes they will. Often a cable lock may work, but not always. Regardless, whatecver case you use it must close tight and be locked. You can use a tool box if it can be locked, too.

Trigger locked gun in a hard opaque locked case. Ammo separate. Do NOT carry it in your range bag.

TIA...excited for my first trip to the range, cable lock it is in the stock case the trigger lock is wayyy too bulky, I have a lock for the case.

Time to shop around for a new case.

Is there any requirement that ammunition cannot be transported in the locked container along with the pistol?

As trebor has indicated, be aware of the policies of the club or range. These vary. What is perfectly acceptable at some ranges are not at others.

It's not the law that ammo has to be separate, but very often club policy.
At my club for example, no guns in the loading area, no ammo in the gun prep area.
I use a Cabela's range bag. 2 lockable side pouches for the pistols with trigger locks, middle section for ammo, ears etc. That way one section of the bag is always closed depending on what section of the range I am, everything is open at the line.
Yes it's a soft case, yes it's legal.
If I bring more than 2 pistols, I use a Nanuk 4 up hard case but then need to have the ammo in a separate bag to meet requirements above...

It's not the law that ammo has to be separate, but very often club policy.
At my club for example, no guns in the loading area, no ammo in the gun prep area.
I use a Cabela's range bag. 2 lockable side pouches for the pistols with trigger locks, middle section for ammo, ears etc. That way one section of the bag is always closed depending on what section of the range I am, everything is open at the line.
Yes it's a soft case, yes it's legal.
If I bring more than 2 pistols, I use a Nanuk 4 up hard case but then need to have the ammo in a separate bag to meet requirements above...

All very helpful information. Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up not being able to go today, work issues dropped onto me early in the morning and I couldn't escape.

Back
Top Bottom