Thread: Looking for hearing/eye protection advise

Looking for hearing/eye protection advise

I did a LOT of research online but cannot have a conclusion:

Ear protection:
    • Is a earplug alone good for 5.56 outdoor shooting?
    • When we need to hear ambient sound when going hunting, what is the best option? I see some filters like Surefire Ep4, but does not have confidence on them when looking into reviews...
    • Personally, I prefer a earplug due to its easiness and no conflict with glasses, but all earplugs except the block all type does not seem to be reliable.
    • It looks like electronic earmuff + earplug is the best for indoor
    • Is electronic earmuff alone good for 5.56 outdoor shooting?

Eye protection:
    I need prescribed safety glasses, I found some online but nothing locally, is the online store able to do a proper job? Since each time I purchase a new prescribed glasses (normal ones), the store needs to do a lot of measurement and adjustment that I don't think I have the expertise to do so...

Thanks in advance!

Sordin supreme pro x gel
    https://srstactical.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by ron_zheng View Post
    Sordin supreme pro x gel
    https://srstactical.ca/
    Thanks, this one looks promising and I do saw some good reviews on it.

I worked at a number of ballistic test ranges for the last 20 years of my career. The indoor range shot everything from handguns at body armour to heavy machine guns at vehicle protection systems. The guns went off as close as 15 feet from the observation area, and you never knew when a round would go off - so I wore my hearing protection all day long when the ranges were active.

Over the ear hearing protection systems always got in the way, even more so when I would shoot my own rifles on the weekend. They seldom sealed as well as I would have liked.

I went to an audiologist for work and got some silicon ear plugs fitted and never looked back. 10 years later they still work great, and are the set that I will wear to the Club this afternoon to shoot in the downstairs range. They also allow a tuque to be worn when shooting outside in the winter, and a full brim hat to be worn when it is sunny in the summer.

There are many grades of materials and I also have a nearly new set that is made of material a bit harder than silicone. They do not seal very well and get to sit in the drawer mostly. Make sure to ask the ear plug folks which is 'best' for you.

The silicone plugs allow normal conversations to be heard and do not get sweaty like the over the ear muff style protection. Obviously they need no batteries and never need to be switched on or off to work once they are in the ear.

I recommend that you call a professional and see what custom plugs are worth - and factor in that they will last a very long time, and properly protect your hearing.

Happy shooting!
    Last edited by stewbud; 12-08-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    “Somewhere out there, right now, someone is practicing. And when you meet him, he will win." Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stewbud View Post
    I worked at a number of ballistic test ranges for the last 20 years of my career. The indoor range shot everything from handguns at body armour to heavy machine guns at vehicle protection systems. The guns went off as close as 15 feet from the observation area, and you never knew when a round would go off - so I wore my hearing protection all day long when the ranges were active.

Over the ear hearing protection systems always got in the way, even more so when I would shoot my own rifles on the weekend. They seldom sealed as well as I would have liked.

I went to an audiologist for work and got some silicon ear plugs fitted and never looked back. 10 years later they still work great, and are the set that I will wear to the Club this afternoon to shoot in the downstairs range. They also allow a tuque to be worn when shooting outside in the winter, and a full brim hat to be worn when it is sunny in the summer.

There are many grades of materials and I also have a nearly new set that is made of material a bit harder than silicone. They do not seal very well and get to sit in the drawer mostly. Make sure to ask the ear plug folks which is 'best' for you.

The silicone plugs allow normal conversations to be heard and do not get sweaty like the over the ear muff style protection. Obviously they need no batteries and never need to be switched on or off to work once they are in the ear.

I recommend that you call a professional and see what custom plugs are worth - and factor in that they will last a very long time, and properly protect your hearing.

Happy shooting!
    Makes sense, what kind of shop do custom ear plugs?

I used google to help, and searched Google for "custom fit ear plugs near London Ontario". That search returned a few local shops for me, including the one that I went to (through work).

I am not sure where you are, but Bentley Hearing Services in London has my recommendation. They have a rating of 4.7 / 5, so I must not be the only person to appreciate their work.

Make sure that your protective devices are so comfortable that you actually wear them. They won't keep you safe in a drawer or in your pocket.
    “Somewhere out there, right now, someone is practicing. And when you meet him, he will win." Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stewbud View Post
    I used google to help, and searched Google for "custom fit ear plugs near London Ontario". That search returned a few local shops for me, including the one that I went to (through work).

I am not sure where you are, but Bentley Hearing Services in London has my recommendation. They have a rating of 4.7 / 5, so I must not be the only person to appreciate their work.

Make sure that your protective devices are so comfortable that you actually wear them. They won't keep you safe in a drawer or in your pocket.
    This key word works, I found one! Thanks a lot!