Thread: How to change email address from old, no longer working, to a new one?

CGN Regular

How to change email address from old, no longer working, to a new one?

In june I changed our ISP. I had to get rid of the old ISP email address and get a new one. Now I want to change the old email address that I registered here with, to a the new one. But the first step in changing anything is to recieve a code, which is going to be emailed to our previous, non-working address. When I try to change the old email addreess to the new one, because I have not been able to receive the code, I am told that because I have not received the code, nothing has changed, including the old email address.

Exactly HOW does one change one's email address on this site to a new one?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Iloverevolvers; 12-14-2021 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo

CGN Regular
    The message that appears after I try to change my email address is the following:

"Your two-factor authentication code does not match."

How can a CGN member receive an authentication code via email if the email address "on file" with CGN no longer exists and, therefore, can not receive that authentication code?

Uber Super GunNutz
    I hope that you get this figured out - is a mystery to me as well. In my limited experience, my two-factor authentication code (from other accounts on other websites) shows up as a text message (I think) on my cell phone, to be entered on-line when trying to log in to where-ever. I do not recall the "code" showing up in my email, but maybe it is??

Is maybe convoluted for me - our "Internet" is via iPhone cell phone "hot spot", so this laptop is cord connected to my cell phone. I see emails, texts, etc. on this laptop, but all had to come through that cell phone first? My wife and I have separate cell phone numbers and separate email addresses, etc., and often use one of the others as a "secondary contact".

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    I hope that you get this figured out - is a mystery to me as well. In my limited experience, my two-factor authentication code (from other accounts on other websites) shows up as a text message (I think) on my cell phone, to be entered on-line when trying to log in to where-ever. I do not recall the "code" showing up in my email, but maybe it is??

Is maybe convoluted for me - our "Internet" is via iPhone cell phone "hot spot", so this laptop is cord connected to my cell phone. I see emails, texts, etc. on this laptop, but all had to come through that cell phone first? My wife and I have separate cell phone numbers and separate email addresses, etc., and often use one of the others as a "secondary contact".
    Good to see that I'm not alone.

I did not provide a cell phone number back in 2012 because in those days we had a simple cell phone on which we did not receive texts. All I have on CGN is an out-of-date, no-longer-in-existence email address. You see the problem.

Uber Super GunNutz
    There has to be a way to be done - maybe has changed over the years? For sure, we did not have iPhones until 2014. Previous, we were in another province - Internet came into that house on a phone cable - different email address. When we moved here, email address became different and somehow I got it changed for dozens of accounts, including here on CGN. I guess the trick is to figure out what is the sequence, now-a-days, for here??

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    There has to be a way to be done - maybe has changed over the years? For sure, we did not have iPhones until 2014. Previous, we were in another province - Internet came into that house on a phone cable - different email address. When we moved here, email address became different and somehow I got it changed for dozens of accounts, including here on CGN. I guess the trick is to figure out what is the sequence, now-a-days, for here??
    Here's the first thing you see on the page where you can change email and password:

"First step, you must request a 6 digit code delivered to your email: CLICK HERE TO GET CODE"

If ones old email address is dead, how is one supposed to get the code? For those who are in this email situation, the "first step" turns out to be the last step .......... to failure.

Heaven forbid one forgets ones password in this situation.

You probably have to contact the admins to sort it out and hope for the best. https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sendmessage.php

Other than that, you shouldn't use the email from your ISP. Get a more permanent one, for example from gmail.

CGN Regular
    I contacted the CGN HelpDesk with a link to this thread. Below is the reply.

"Hi,

Due to elevated security posture, we currently only allow account change if you have a passcode.

You may consider subscribing to a team membership. Wait 2 weeks and then request a recovery assistance.

Thank you"

A Team membership is more than worth it in my mind for a variety of reasons, notwithstanding your current frustrating situation