Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: New Range Gun!! Sterling R18!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Having the charging handle slot only exposed during charging and not firing is doing even the BRN-180 one better. They should really add one picture of the left side of the rifle to the first post highlight this feature, as it is one reason to justify the expense over the other 180 platforms. Unlike the other 180 variants (aside from the J180), this might actually pass the InRangeTV mud test

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Having the charging handle slot only exposed during charging and not firing is doing even the BRN-180 one better. They should really add one picture of the left side of the rifle to the first post highlight this feature, as it is one reason to justify the expense over the other 180 platforms. Unlike the other 180 variants (aside from the J180), this might actually pass the InRangeTV mud test
    It's why I've avoided the other 180 variants but i'd still rather spend the money on an x95 again at this price. Kicking myself for selling mine.
    CCFR, CSSA member!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sveinn84 View Post
    It's why I've avoided the other 180 variants but i'd still rather spend the money on an x95 again at this price. Kicking myself for selling mine.
    If the platform proves itself long term, this may be useful for people willing to spend Tavor money but who are bullpup averse Only time will tell.

As cool as a non-reciprocating charging handle is, it does add complexity to the system, and could be another point of failure. Hopefully it will prove to be robust enough to be dependable over the long term.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    All the comparisons to the Tavor rifles... So bullpups suck. A Tavor just isn't and will never be an option for people that are familiar with competing with a rifle with AR ergonomics. Seems like the 180 platform is the most viable semi-auto platform with ergos that resemble an AR, and this seems to be the best quality version of that. Admittedly the bar is pretty low, but still. That's the justification for buying this over a Tavor, IMO.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    All the comparisons to the Tavor rifles... So bullpups suck. A Tavor just isn't and will never be an option for people that are familiar with competing with a rifle with AR ergonomics. Seems like the 180 platform is the most viable semi-auto platform with ergos that resemble an AR, and this seems to be the best quality version of that. Admittedly the bar is pretty low, but still. That's the justification for buying this over a Tavor, IMO.
    Yeah I agree for sure. Those that compete in 3 gun etc won't want to run a tavor. Get way better accuracy out of a 180 platform. I still have my eyes on this but the price took me aback a fair bit.
    CCFR, CSSA member!

$2700?! Whoa... What's the mark up on these, $2000?
    Tiocfaidh Ár Lá - Éirinn Go Brách

CGN Regular
    Gotta make up for the Swiss arms lost rev, my guy.

I compete in 3 gun with my first run (magnetic charging handle, .223 wylde) WK-180. It leaves small things to be desired and this looks like an excellent step up.

People complaining about price need to remember that time on a CNC machine costs a lot of money and when a model comes along with extra parts to close a slot in the side of the receiver and has high end parts in a gun, it might cost more than the WK-180 that was designed to be a thousand dollar rifle from the get go. (Probably still pretty close to that if you adjust for inflation)

Hot take: bullpups aren't that great and the Tavor isn't the best bullpup out there. An L-85A3 is more accurate.
    NSCC 2018 Designated Marksman champion
    CAFSAC 2018 10th place Service Rifle
    AOSC Bisley, UK 2019 19th place international shooter

You guys complaining about the R18's price need to take a realistic look at what a Canadian machinist earns these days. The R18 was not designed as just another $1000 AR180B clone. It addresses most, if not all, of the shortcomings noted with the "bargain" rifles, including the WS-MCR with the upgraded Lower Receiver.

If you cannot afford an R18 that is fine - that is why different systems are offered at various price-points depending on the machine time and effort required to bring the rifles to market. Can't afford an R18? Buy something less expensive. Don't like the price? Buy something less expensive. Don't like the design? Keep waiting for the IRG/NDS/PWS vapor-rifle that has been on the books for over a year. I could really care less, as I don't stand to make a dime off of the sales of R18 rifles.

Do whatever seems best for you, but don't ##### about pricing without first doing your homework. Nobody is going to get rich quick building rifles for the miniscule Canadian market, and that includes the R18. Just be happy that the option exists, as I don't see too many other Canadian businesses risking their $$ to bring other semi-auto rifle-calibre designs to market in these uncertain times.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by .45automatic View Post
    They make these things called sights.
    Yeah and those things are aligned with the shooters eye on a properly designed platform not the top of his skull dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    I could really care less, as I don't stand to make a dime off of the sales of R18 rifles.
    But you sure do put in extra effort in peddling this cope gun for someone who's posturing to be a non-beneficiary party. Pathetic.
    Follow through isn't just a shooting fundamental, it's a life skill.