Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: New Range Gun!! Sterling R18!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Yes, I have just over 1000 rounds through one pre-production test rifle and approximately 300 rounds through a spare. The spare was not needed, as the primary test rifle did not suffer any breakage, or even stoppages that weren't attributable to the magazine in use at the time. You can check out my 2-part review at the links below:

Part 1: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ng-Impressions

Part 2: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ng-Impressions

NOTE: The above rifle has been personalized by me for testing, and has items attached that differ from the basic R18. My changes/additions include the Muzzle Brake, VFG, Optic and Mount, Trigger, Ambi Mag Release, and Folding Butstock. The standard Muzzle Brake is quite effective, I just wanted to try this other one that I had kicking around my spares bin. The Folding Buttstock allows the use of a more compact Transport Case. The Optic and TriggerTech Trigger are there for accuracy testing.
    Your post is what made me want one haha. Setup you have looks great.
    CCFR, CSSA member!

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the be(er)holder
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

So many bitter people trying to save a buck to hurt the business.

If you want more rifles coming in for other people, you gotta pay.

Remember when you could buy a norinco m305 for less than than $600? I don't recall the same comments from the commercial Springfield company making their rifles for $2k+

With covid adding double-digit percent to cost of literally everything, it doesnt seem unreasonable for the cost of a supposed AAA+ quality product.

They do not produce 100% of all parts in house so there is middle men and markup in play too. Shipping everything has skyrocketed.

People just have to be more realistic with the way money works in this country.

I have no skin in the game and likely will never own a 180-type I don't build myself over long term. Just calling it like I see it

Hmmm. Interested. Is it reliable ?

I've never owned any 180 variants. Never fired one. The variants out there today just don't do it for me aesthetically. I know... never judge a book by its cover. Although I appreciate manufacturers and designers keeping costs low to make it more affordable for the regular Joe, but for me, "you get what you paid for" sits well in the back of my mind. I'm willing to pay more for quality and reliability. Sure, the R18 is the rookie on the block, but from what I can tell from Bartoks review, this rifle is more quality than any of the other offerings. I'm willing to take the "plunge" on this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 98/29 View Post
    Yeah and those things are aligned with the shooters eye on a properly designed platform not the top of his skull dome.

But you sure do put in extra effort in peddling this cope gun for someone who's posturing to be a non-beneficiary party. Pathetic.
    It's about the same height as a T97 with the Canadian made flat top upper and I've never had a problem with standard height sites. I don't mash my face on buttstocks though. I hate cheek risers.
    Once your ad sells, edit prefix from WTS to Pls Remove and change the title to SOLD by clicking go advanced. I'm tired of clicking on ten ads a day, only to see the word sold where the price was.
    -.45automatic

Quote Originally Posted by hsatimmy View Post
    Remember when you could buy a norinco m305 for less than than $600? I don't recall the same comments from the commercial Springfield company making their rifles for $2k+
    Except there were lol the narrative was "Don't buy a Springfield. Buy an M305, dress it up, and have it perform as good for half the price." Not sure how involved in the M305 world you were, but general consensus was not to waste your money on an M1A.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    To keep things in perspective; ATRS made a $3000 AR when we (as Canadian shooters) had $600 Norincos available and Rick managed to build a very strong and solid business. Various NR AR style rifles in Canada "pre-ban" still ran in the $1800-$2000 range.
    Fair point, however the ATRS ARs produced were:

1. Completely bespoke to the purchasers requests on virtually every part, and
    2. Considered high end AR rifles when compared to the rest of the market.

Comparing a domestically made 3k AR in 5.56 to a foreign mass produced $600 M305 in 308 compares two very different groups of shooters, albeit with some overlap. So if we want to compare apples to oranges, I got my C8 IUR in 2015 for just under $2k. Produced by a large company, which cut costs? Sure. Yet considered one of the greatest ARs made worldwide.

I'm empathetic to the times. As was mentioned, COVID and global supply chain logistics has thrown a financial wrench into everything. All said, things mightve been different had this come into the market in 2019, inflation excluded.

Has there ever been consideration to taking a page from ATRS' playbook and offering choices? a la barrels, grips, stocks, triggers, etc to create a catalogue of ordering options for people at different price points? Or would this be too labour intensive?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf300H&H View Post
    Hmmm. Interested. Is it reliable ?
    Read the reviews - that's what they're for. To answer your question however, yes - my test rifle was very reliable.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Read the reviews - that's what they're for. To answer your question however, yes - my test rifle was very reliable.
    Thanks bud. Yeah I have mainly but also working too much and tired. But that’s what I gathered. Cool.
    Also I don’t understand the non reciprocal charging handle thing mentioned. How do you rack a shell then from mag or blah blah

Ahhh. Looked it up. Think I got it figured. Lol . Never thought of that stuff before really
    Last edited by wolf300H&H; 01-07-2022 at 01:59 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf300H&H View Post
    Thanks bud. Yeah I have mainly but also working too much and tired. But that’s what I gathered. Cool.
    Also I don’t understand the non reciprocal charging handle thing mentioned. How do you rack a shell then from mag or blah blah
    It means you use the charging handle to actuate the bolt by hand, but the charging handle stays still and its track handle cover remain closed when the rifle is firing. It means the rifle is nicely sealed most of time, keeping grit and dust from getting into the rifle and killing the trigger mechanism or mucking up other parts. People have complained about the "pop-tart" slot the charging handle runs along on other designs being constantly exposed, and the RS18 added the non-reciprocating handle and slot cover as their answer to this complaint.