Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: New Range Gun!! Sterling R18!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    Bartok, you are correct... I think (with all of the input) SAI has a winning product here and it's time to stop tinkering and get these moving.

Going to a DI also negates the cleanliness of the action.

JR
    Fair enough. Though a Stoner pseudo piston system venting the gas out vent holes in the side of the BCG out the ejection port when the bolt is forward shouldn't be any dirtier then an AR-15.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Fair enough. Though a Stoner pseudo piston system venting the gas out vent holes in the side of the BCG out the ejection port when the bolt is forward shouldn't be any dirtier then an AR-15.
    That's the issue... the R18 is CLEAN.... The R15 is a dirty pig... We're running 1500-1800 rounds right now between a simple wipe of the gas system in the R18MK2 range gun with no stoppages.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Regular
    Are you getting anymore of these in anytime soon?

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soheipp View Post
    Are you getting anymore of these in anytime soon?
    We expect to start filling the backlog of "interested" people next week and then have a steady flow of rifles increasing throughout April.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Regular
    We expect to start filling the backlog of "interested" people next week and then have a steady flow of rifles increasing throughout April.
    this is good news. We are pleased.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    That's the issue... the R18 is CLEAN.... The R15 is a dirty pig... We're running 1500-1800 rounds right now between a simple wipe of the gas system in the R18MK2 range gun with no stoppages.

JR
    I think that's something that people unfamiliar with AR-180 type rifles just don't get, they run waaaaay cleaner than an AR-15. Looking forward to seeing more of these available!

Any chance of carrying spare parts?

does this choke on magazines? (over insertion)
    Only men of good will are capable of committing the most grievous of sins.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbydave View Post
    I think that's something that people unfamiliar with AR-180 type rifles just don't get, they run waaaaay cleaner than an AR-15. Looking forward to seeing more of these available!
    Both rifles produce the same amount of carbon, for obvious reasons. The only difference is where the carbon ends up on its journey through the gas system. The AR 15 ends up with a dirtier bolt, the 180 with a dirtier gas system. Neither rifle becomes unreliable when fouled assuming theyre oiled, so its a non issue. The real question is whats easier to clean, an AR bcg, or the gas system of an AR 180.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    Both rifles produce the same amount of carbon, for obvious reasons. The only difference is where the carbon ends up on its journey through the gas system. The AR 15 ends up with a dirtier bolt, the 180 with a dirtier gas system. Neither rifle becomes unreliable when fouled assuming theyre oiled, so its a non issue. The real question is whats easier to clean, an AR bcg, or the gas system of an AR 180.
    I wasn't saying that an AR-180 is somehow superior to an AR-15 just that they run a lot "cleaner" with respect to BCG and receiver. On an AR-180 the piston/gas block gets fouled with carbon and on an AR-15 the BCG and interior of the receiver gets fouled. Like you say, they both keep on running so long as they're lubed but I'd happily go quite a bit longer between proper field strip/cleaning on an AR-180 than on an AR-15. Most of the AR-180s on the Canadian market are so over-gassed that carbon build-up in gas system doesn't matter and you can literally go thousands of rounds without a proper clean whereas (although you probably could) I never ran more than 1k rounds through my AR without giving it a good clean. I guess it's just kinda shocking how clean the receiver and BCG in an AR-180 stay when you're used to an AR-15.