Thread: non-reciprocating bolt handle

non-reciprocating bolt handle

hey - any thoughts on making a non-reciprocating bolt handle system for the mcr and others? thoughts are that it could mount over the existing channel on the left side using the fastener openings for the steel plate (or drill/tap for earlier versions or the wk). just a thin plate with a slide similar to the r18; the bolt handle would engage the bcg for charging but not forward assist? have the bolt handle float a bit so installed alignment and tolerances don't need to be perfect? and if it could fold ...

honestly i'd settle for one that doesn't want to spin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by the radium king View Post
    hey - any thoughts on making a non-reciprocating bolt handle system for the mcr and others? thoughts are that it could mount over the existing channel on the left side using the fastener openings for the steel plate (or drill/tap for earlier versions or the wk). just a thin plate with a slide similar to the r18; the bolt handle would engage the bcg for charging but not forward assist? have the bolt handle float a bit so installed alignment and tolerances don't need to be perfect? and if it could fold ...
    My thought it would be less engineering to retrofit on a spring loaded charging handle cover, like that on the FN Fal, https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-FNC-Galil-ACE, or rubber lip charging slot cover for the handle to move through, like on the SIG MCX, https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...G-556-Possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    My thought it would be less engineering to retrofit on a spring loaded charging handle cover, like that on the FN Fal, https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-FNC-Galil-ACE, or rubber lip charging slot cover for the handle to move through, like on the SIG MCX, https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...G-556-Possible.
    agreed. i'd buy that fnc part. it's a spring, a plate, and two fasteners. sell it with a bit, a tap, and a drilling template. i'd bet a lot would sell. it's a stamped plate but doesn't need to be; cut it out of some flat sheet and find an elegant way to affix the spring and manufacturing shouldn't be too difficult.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by the radium king View Post
    agreed. i'd buy that fnc part. it's a spring, a plate, and two fasteners. sell it with a bit, a tap, and a drilling template. i'd bet a lot would sell. it's a stamped plate but doesn't need to be; cut it out of some flat sheet and find an elegant way to affix the spring and manufacturing shouldn't be too difficult.
    And if someone doesn't feel comfortable enough to do the work themselves, they can take it to a local gunsmith to have installed.

Make the drill template a 3D printed jig, easy enough

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenGatsAttack View Post
    Make the drill template a 3D printed jig, easy enough
    Hell, 3D print the cover itself. It shouldn't be under too much stress, and could be easily replaced if needed then. You would still of course need metal construction for the spring and fasteners. :P
    Last edited by Ustauk; 01-08-2022 at 09:51 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Firearms engineering ain't free.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by BioPace View Post
    Firearms engineering ain't free.
    pfft. tell that to companies that bring complete firearms to market after "160 rounds at the local CHAS range" for testing and then denigrate HK and B&T. as an engineer, not a lot of engineering is required to make a not-critical piece of metal go up and down. worst case? it goes up and does't come down. big deal.

hmm ... made in canada version ???

https://iwi.us/product/galil-ace-cov...and-5-56-nato/