Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 12 12ga Bullpup Pump Action Shotgun Non-Restricted

CGN Regular
    The only reason I want one is to shoot one round of skeet with it for the laughs. This seems like insufficient reason to purchase, but what a delicious laugh it would be.

Just got mine today. Have yet to shoot it. I had a KSG and will be taking this out tomorrow. Can send an update when I shoot it

Last edited by CommonCents; 11-23-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swray1992 View Post
    Doesn't give much wiggle room for a pressure pad for a light. Otherwise, it would be a perfect home defense shotty to replace my 870.
    I put a streetlight RM2 on the top section of M-lock rail and it seems to be in a decent spot

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    Please do.
    A direct comparison would be great.

One suggestion if you read this before testing:

Try intentionally running the actions as slowly as you can and observe how the firearm manipulates, controls, and engages with it's ammunition at each stage of the action cycle. By doing this you can become more aware of where each platform introduces or allows for error user-induced or otherwise.
    First thing I noticed, was there is some slop in the Handguard. Left and right movements, I had the same in my KSG. But the KSG didn't seem as sloppy. When racking the slide forward and back you do not notice this at all. Ambi safety is the reason I wanted this. The cross bolt on the KSG is a pain to use compared to this.

One thing that I did notice, when you place the gun on a table it pushed the mag tube selector switch to the opposite direction. Now, if you were to have non lethal in one tube and lethal in the other tube and place the weapon down without noticing the tube has been switched this could be an issue.

The grip is outstanding, I am also an M&P fan boy so its nice to have the same grip on my pistol as my shotgun...

Racking the slide is pretty comparable to the KSG.

I used some 12 Gage snap caps to run the action slowly as suggested and it seems to be fine, but with any pump shotgun you run the action as hard as possible to make sure the round ejects and a new one goes in its place. So if it did jam up running it like a 12 year old, I wouldn't hold it against any gun.

Fairly good gun to shoulder, I would say comparable to the KSG. One thing I did notice, on my KSG the rounds would always hit me in the wrist unless I turned the weapon to the side to eject away from me. Now that being said I am not 100% sure this isn't the case on the M&P as I was waring a coat so I wouldn't be able to tell if it was hitting me or not.

I am hoping to find some mini shells to test out, but right now it ran bird shot, 00 buck and low recoil 1oz slugs great.

I am indifferent on the way you can load this gun. On the KSG you just had to jam the round home, it was tricky at first but over time became easy. The M&P has a little button to make loading the gun easier, which it 100% does. My only concern would be if you were to grab it from the side and depress that little button I am sure it would cause all the ammo to eject and cause an issue. ( I did not have this happen, I just can see it being an issue eventually)

I found the front pistol grip very nice, my KSG-NR I find a little more rugged as it is built into the entire action of the gun vs a part that is screwed on. This again could be my own personal preference.

Trigger I find much better then the KSG, no one writes home about how great triggers are on pump shotguns but this one is much better. I have no way of testing the weights. There is a little bit of take up on the M&P and a good break. I did find on the KSG there isn't much room on take-up and the rest isn't as nice. But again, I don't think most pump guns have great triggers.

Pros on the M&P - grip, trigger, ambition safety, ability to expand the ejection area to clear a malfunction. Also the ability to change out the choke is a plus
    Cons - way you load it, and the slop in the action bar left to right ( none issue when racking the gun, just seems sloppy when handling it)

Pro of KSG - loading gun, less slop in hangar, and take down and my KSG is the NR which gives a pistol grip with a light on it and it is much more sturdy then the M&P screw on forward grip.
    Cons - grip , trigger and how it ejects. (again I am not aware of if the M&P hits my hand when it ejects as Its cold as h**l where I live and I had a coat and gloves on)

Would I trust both to go bang when I needed it to, of course. I have much more time with the KSG so I am able to load the firearm much easier then on the M&P. But I am sure over time I will have the same skillset with the MP12.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    It’s like M&P overheard someone say, no way someone can put more plastic on a shotgun than kel-etc… M&P “Hold my beer”
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    First thing I noticed, was there is some slop in the Handguard. Left and right movements, I had the same in my KSG. But the KSG didn't seem as sloppy. When racking the slide forward and back you do not notice this at all. Ambi safety is the reason I wanted this. The cross bolt on the KSG is a pain to use compared to this.

One thing that I did notice, when you place the gun on a table it pushed the mag tube selector switch to the opposite direction. Now, if you were to have non lethal in one tube and lethal in the other tube and place the weapon down without noticing the tube has been switched this could be an issue.

The grip is outstanding, I am also an M&P fan boy so its nice to have the same grip on my pistol as my shotgun...

Racking the slide is pretty comparable to the KSG.

I used some 12 Gage snap caps to run the action slowly as suggested and it seems to be fine, but with any pump shotgun you run the action as hard as possible to make sure the round ejects and a new one goes in its place. So if it did jam up running it like a 12 year old, I wouldn't hold it against any gun.

Fairly good gun to shoulder, I would say comparable to the KSG. One thing I did notice, on my KSG the rounds would always hit me in the wrist unless I turned the weapon to the side to eject away from me. Now that being said I am not 100% sure this isn't the case on the M&P as I was waring a coat so I wouldn't be able to tell if it was hitting me or not.

I am hoping to find some mini shells to test out, but right now it ran bird shot, 00 buck and low recoil 1oz slugs great.

I am indifferent on the way you can load this gun. On the KSG you just had to jam the round home, it was tricky at first but over time became easy. The M&P has a little button to make loading the gun easier, which it 100% does. My only concern would be if you were to grab it from the side and depress that little button I am sure it would cause all the ammo to eject and cause an issue. ( I did not have this happen, I just can see it being an issue eventually)

I found the front pistol grip very nice, my KSG-NR I find a little more rugged as it is built into the entire action of the gun vs a part that is screwed on. This again could be my own personal preference.

Trigger I find much better then the KSG, no one writes home about how great triggers are on pump shotguns but this one is much better. I have no way of testing the weights. There is a little bit of take up on the M&P and a good break. I did find on the KSG there isn't much room on take-up and the rest isn't as nice. But again, I don't think most pump guns have great triggers.

Pros on the M&P - grip, trigger, ambition safety, ability to expand the ejection area to clear a malfunction. Also the ability to change out the choke is a plus
    Cons - way you load it, and the slop in the action bar left to right ( none issue when racking the gun, just seems sloppy when handling it)

Pro of KSG - loading gun, less slop in hangar, and take down and my KSG is the NR which gives a pistol grip with a light on it and it is much more sturdy then the M&P screw on forward grip.
    Cons - grip , trigger and how it ejects. (again I am not aware of if the M&P hits my hand when it ejects as Its cold as h**l where I live and I had a coat and gloves on)

Would I trust both to go bang when I needed it to, of course. I have much more time with the KSG so I am able to load the firearm much easier then on the M&P. But I am sure over time I will have the same skillset with the MP12.
    At this point, ignoring differences in cost, If you had to pick only one to keep which would you choose?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

If I had to only have one, I think the M&P will be my goto. Better grip, safety is great as it mirrors our old beloved ARs. But I have also only had about 150 rounds though it so far. Hopefully be able to take it out to the longer range and see how it does with accuracy this weekend

Any other feedback on these guys?

-Robbie L

Sure, this thing is a beast, very easy to manoeuvre, I like the vertical foregrip and aggressive grip texture. Pretty easy to
    load once you practice a few times, not sure why people seem to have such a hard time learning something new. Reliable and good quality. Would recommend, but I am already a fan of bullpups.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast