Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22LR conversion for WS Mcr

Quote Originally Posted by KBCL View Post
    Don’t rim fire have to over 26” to be NR? So you could have a barrel under 18.5”? I would buy.
    That’s the theory but the horsemen wouldn’t allow another Canadian manufacture to do just that. It follows all the rules set out but they said since the receivers were designed to be centrefire they had to meet the 18.5” rule. Doesn’t make sense but that was the ruling.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    That’s the theory but the horsemen wouldn’t allow another Canadian manufacture to do just that. It follows all the rules set out but they said since the receivers were designed to be centrefire they had to meet the 18.5” rule. Doesn’t make sense but that was the ruling.
    Was there a court ruling or just RCMP interpretation? Because a -180 receiver isn't "designed" to be centerfire. The receiver has no bearing on whether or not the rifle is centerfire or rimfire, it is essentially just a chassis of sorts to house the internal components (these internal components being the parts that are actually designed around a specific rimfire or centerfire cartridge) and provide attachment points for the other parts of the firearm.

I could see them making the argument that the receiver is dual-use and must therefore default to the most restrictive ruleset (i.e. centerfire), but that leaves the question why dual-use pistol magazines aren't subject to the most restrictive interpretation as well. But that's all beside the point because dual-use isn't defined anywhere in Canadian firearms law.

In addition, nowhere in the law does it also differentiate between a rimfire firearm and a "rimfire firearm with a centerfire receiver". One of the criteria for a restricted firearm is being capable of discharging centerfire ammunition in a semi-auto manner; and if it fails to meet the definition of a restricted or prohibited firearm, it is therefore non-restricted unless prescribed by law. And non-restricted rimfire rifles have no barrel length requirements.

Personally, if I had a rimfire -180 variant, I'd throw on a short barrel and risk an ignorant cop. We do it all the time with other black rifles that can be easily misidentified. The law is very clear and it is on our side, in my opinion.
    Last edited by btabin; 03-01-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    I suck at responding to PMs. Don't take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    Was there a court ruling or just RCMP interpretation? Because a -180 receiver isn't "designed" to be centerfire. The receiver has no bearing on whether or not the rifle is centerfire or rimfire, it is essentially just a chassis of sorts to house the internal components (these internal components being the parts that are actually designed around a specific rimfire or centerfire cartridge) and provide attachment points for the other parts of the firearm.

I could see them making the argument that the receiver is dual-use and must therefore default to the most restrictive ruleset (i.e. centerfire), but that leaves the question why dual-use pistol magazines aren't subject to the most restrictive interpretation as well. But that's all beside the point because dual-use isn't defined anywhere in Canadian firearms law.

In addition, nowhere in the law does it also differentiate between a rimfire firearm and a "rimfire firearm with a centerfire receiver". One of the criteria for a restricted firearm is being capable of discharging centerfire ammunition in a semi-auto manner; and if it fails to meet the definition of a restricted or prohibited firearm, it is therefore non-restricted unless prescribed by law. And non-restricted rimfire rifles have no barrel length requirements.

Personally, if I had a rimfire -180 variant, I'd throw on a short barrel and risk an ignorant cop. We do it all the time with other black rifles that can be easily misidentified. The law is very clear and it is on our side, in my opinion.
    There was no court ruling. Just their interpretation and inclusion on the FRT stating the shorter barrelled 22lr version was restricted. I’m not in agreement with it just passing on what another company went through trying to get a 22 version out to people with a shorter barrel.

This would go along with shooting FRT changed prohibs. You can take your chances but an uneducated cop could still err on the side of caution and arrest you and let the courts sort it out. Being right is fine. But losing everything to try and prove it is another. Try being the operative word as just cause you think the law is on our side doesn’t mean a court will find that way.

And I think you nailed it where you said being capable of discharging. I think they decided barrel and bolt didn’t matter. Because the receiver was designed to discharge centrefire ammunition they held on to that.

I’m not even looking for a shorter barrel. Just wondering if the option is there
    To put out a .22LR bolt carrier for the 180. Similar to the cmmg kit for the AR15
    "Victory favours the prepared"

I would looooove a 22 kit for the 180 rifles!!!! This is an amazing idea!!! I dont care about making a short barreled 22 but a simple conversion kit like the cmmg kit would be a hit i think.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    Honestly I'd rather they make some more .223 uppers (complete or stripped) before worrying about a new product like a .22 upper. They haven't been available for how long now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12