Thread: Upgrading PAL to RPAL

CGN Regular

Upgrading PAL to RPAL

Have only had my PAL for a few months. Joined a club and been loving shooting target and shooting trap. Recently a fellow member had me try some handguns and a few revolvers on the 25 yard range. Found it quite fun. Now I find myself contemplating upgrading to a RPAL for this reason.

Just wondering wants involved?

Good day, Sign up for an RPAL course, the many gun-clubs offer excellent courses -- as well there are many other places -- do a google search to obtain where to attend a course in your province. This course will then have a written exam, like you had to do for your PAL, except this is in reference to the uniqueness of restricted firearms -- like hand-guns etc.. and such once passed, the same procedure is performed, you have to send in your paperwork and many months later *hopefully* you receive your RPAL.

After that, the next step is buying your first restricted firearm involves many more steps, and special documentation primarily the ATT (which is technically on your RPAL CARD ITSELF) but the original one you obtain will not have it, a second one will be sent out that contains the ATT enhancement -- once the first restricted firearm is purchased. Along with each individual restricted firearm will be the associated registration form issued by your province and there are VERY strict special transport rules etc.. all this is / will be explained in the course.

Regards
    Charle2010

Did your course really help upgrade it? I am facing similar problem. I need to upgrade it to fulfill the target.

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

CGN Regular
    Delete
    Last edited by AntiKhaos; 08-31-2023 at 03:31 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    If you want a chance at buying a handgun, first thing you have to do is stop re-electing Trudeau and the Libs!

Is there any point in upgrading. I thought the bugger banned everyone new from everything restricted

Quote Originally Posted by JMacd62 View Post
    Is there any point in upgrading. I thought the bugger banned everyone new from everything restricted
    There are a few restricted sbr rifles you can get. And if you go with a buddy to the range you can use his handguns without supervision and also you can rent any handgun the range offers as well. You can’t do any of this without the rpal always good to have

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I had my PAL for about half a year and just submitted my RPAL application.

Does anyone know if the process is just as long to upgrade to a RPAL if I just received my PAL earlier this year? Or do they expedite it since I've already had all my references and background checks performed a few months ago.