Modern Sporter

My advice as a Police Officer;

Call your local Detachment and ask if you can use it.

Get a name and badge number and scribble some notes if you’re given the all clear.

My 2 cents.

My opinion;
FRT is not law.
Not named in OIC.

… then somehow the ATRS wakes up to find out it it’s related to the AR15? Didn’t the RCMP lab already determine it wasn’t? - personally, seems like gaslighting to me.

Was the ATRS named in the squashed C-21 amendments? I can’t remember?

If so, then that’s more information to suggest it’s not included in the Prohibited listing - the listing that is law.

Every jurisdiction/ and cop will have their own opinions on the matter - best to call YOUR jurisdiction and find out.

Cops don’t make law, nor should they. That’s how banana republics work.

Very interesting response on this. I couldn’t imagine anyone would want to put their ass on the line and give an answer but you never know.

Thank you for your input and hopefully this helps someone in this obvious 'grey area'.

My advice as a Police Officer;

Call your local Detachment and ask if you can use it.

Get a name and badge number and scribble some notes if you’re given the all clear.

My 2 cents.

My opinion;
FRT is not law.
Not named in OIC.

… then somehow the ATRS wakes up to find out it it’s related to the AR15? Didn’t the RCMP lab already determine it wasn’t? - personally, seems like gaslighting to me.

Was the ATRS named in the squashed C-21 amendments? I can’t remember?

If so, then that’s more information to suggest it’s not included in the Prohibited listing - the listing that is law.

Every jurisdiction/ and cop will have their own opinions on the matter - best to call YOUR jurisdiction and find out.

Cops don’t make law, nor should they. That’s how banana republics work.

I went the route of emailing the CFO inquiring about the Modern Series. I explained the following points.

- The FRT legal disclaimer states that it is not a legal instrument and that SOR/98-462 is the prevailing legal authority for firearms classification.
- SOR/98-462 does not have any of the four aforementioned firearms listed, nor were they included in the May 1st, 2020 OIC (SOR/2020-96).
- The Modern series were specifically added to the withdrawn G-46 amendment to Bill C-21, which in itself is currently going through its due process and not law. It is also an admittance that they are not enshrined in legislation yet as prohibited.

I finished off the email by asking if an individual with a current PAL can legally use the Alberta Tactical Rifle Modern Sporter, Varmint or Hunter for hunting and sporting purposes in the same capacity as other Non-Restricted firearms. The side step response I got from the CFO was plain and simple... Contact my local fish and wildlife department about it. I forwarded the email and response to them.

I went the route of emailing the CFO inquiring about the Modern Series. I explained the following points.

- The FRT legal disclaimer states that it is not a legal instrument and that SOR/98-462 is the prevailing legal authority for firearms classification.
- SOR/98-462 does not have any of the four aforementioned firearms listed, nor were they included in the May 1st, 2020 OIC (SOR/2020-96).
- The Modern series were specifically added to the withdrawn G-46 amendment to Bill C-21, which in itself is currently going through its due process and not law. It is also an admittance that they are not enshrined in legislation yet as prohibited.

I finished off the email by asking if an individual with a current PAL can legally use the Alberta Tactical Rifle Modern Sporter, Varmint or Hunter for hunting and sporting purposes in the same capacity as other Non-Restricted firearms. The side step response I got from the CFO was plain and simple... Contact my local fish and wildlife department about it. I forwarded the email and response to them.

Post response if you hear back from them please.

The modern sporter is affected by the ban, check the armalytics for the current FRT.

OP should build his rifle regardless of status if that’s what he wishes, I mean if it’s non restricted who’s going to know.

FRT isn't law. If you want the law on what was affected, look it up in the Canadian Firearms Gazette.

Thanks for putting in the effort, definitely curious to see what the response will be.

From my experience as a police constable and what I see on a regular basis is this.

Police departments that have a great OIC in charge or NCO in charge and that person is a gun friendly member, the rules or the lack of rules seem to be more relaxed.

On the other side of that coin, get a liberal b@g-licker that hates guns and thinks only the military and police should have them, well look out. She's a sh1t storm.

Funny how our laws work in this tyrannical country we live in, isn't it?.......:(

It also would appear the laws and rules regarding firearms vary from province to province.

She's no different in the United States, live in a democratic state you are screwed, live in a republican state and it's normally a little better.

Last edited:

Easy way, would have been to corner the CFO with can I take this rifle to a certified range legally, and if no why?

Good luck

Easy way, would have been to corner the CFO with can I take this rifle to a certified range legally, and if no why?

Good luck

I feel like I would have got the same response. The lady from the CFO didn’t say it was Prohib’d (probably since they’re well aware that it isn’t) but more or less eluded to “check with your local departments”. As previous LEO’s (JeffMan & Thunderhog) have suggested and pointed out, sounds like it’s coming down to the opinion of your local departments.

I feel like I would have got the same response. The lady from the CFO didn’t say it was Prohib’d (probably since they’re well aware that it isn’t) but more or less eluded to “check with your local departments”. As previous LEO’s (JeffMan & Thunderhog) have suggested and pointed out, sounds like it’s coming down to the opinion of your local departments.

Did you get any response from your fish and feathers?

Back
Top Bottom