Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Clarification the new regulations starting MAY 18 2022

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by NCressman View Post
    I was referring to the divide between the info CSAAA was provided on the 24th and the text of the act.

CSAAA was assured that there wouldn't be a record requirement, from their posts on social media.

So I guess the government just straight up lied to CSAAA?
    Nope, the government allegedly said that 'Businesses will not be required to enter any firearm specific information when transferring a non-restricted firearm.'

So the business does not need ot enter this information into the business records. HOWEVER, the regulations coming into force state:

For the purposes of the issuance of a reference number under section 23 of the Act, the transferor must

(a) confirm, when making a request referred to in paragraph 23(1)(b) of the Act to the Registrar, that they have taken reasonable steps to verify that the transferee is the holder of the licence, including
    (i) in the case of a transfer that is completed in person, whether in whole or in part, by comparing the photograph on the licence with the person presenting themselves as the transferee, and
    (ii) in all other cases,
    (A) by using the method set out in paragraph (a), or
    (B) if the comparison cannot be undertaken using that method, by comparing the information on the transferee’s licence with that on another piece of photo identification that has been issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or municipal government; and
    (b) provide the Registrar with
    (i) the transferee’s licence number, and
    (ii) any other information requested by the Registrar.
    I have a feeling that the Registrar will be requesting information about the firearm subject to the transfer each and every time.

For those that are having debates about whether or not these new requirements constitute a registry of non restricted firearm transfers, consider this:

In 2012, when the Government eliminated the requirement to register Non-restricted firearms, it enacted the Firearm Information Regulations (non-restricted firearms). https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

These regulations were necessary in order to prohibit anyone from making or keeping records related to the transfer of non restricted firearms.

The government, through these regulations, are now repealing those regulations, thus enabling people to once again make and keep records of Non-restricted transfers. Thus, its a registry. Its just not a centralized registry of current registration records, its a decentralized registry of transfer records. But its clearly a registry
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Back door registry through OIC. Trudeau's public safety Minister is a liar POS
    When you say "through OIC" it gives the impression this was done like the May 1 Gun Ban, which is not the case. Yes, an OIC was used to bring these regulations into force (that's what OICs are normally used for) but the regulations themselves are part of c71 which passed through all the normal things legislation needs to get through to become law.

Quote Originally Posted by NCressman View Post
    I was referring to the divide between the info CSAAA was provided on the 24th and the text of the act.

CSAAA was assured that there wouldn't be a record requirement, from their posts on social media.

So I guess the government just straight up lied to CSAAA?
    I'm not sure I follow? This is part of c71. Which received Royal Assent in June 2019. The CSAAA has had plenty of time to read that law I would think?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

From what I understand businesses are required to record firearm info into their registry along with your info. But when they call for the reference number they’re only going to be asked about the license info, so your name, license number, date and city of birth. So there will still be a registry but it’s going to be patchwork and stored at the business only to be accessed by warrant or the business closing. Hopefully what we see when businesses close is they transfer their stock which should transfer their registry to another business and the government has to go through a court to access records.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    only to be accessed by warrant or the business closing. .
    No warrants required generally .... for any reasonable (by the police opinion) grounds ... repeated by MM several times in his brain fart ...
    If a politician’s life is worth armed guards, why aren't our children's lives worth the ability for us to give them the same level of protection?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Petrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I guess everyone is just glossing over bullet D that straight up turns this into the registry?

2) The business must record and, for a period of 20 years from the day on which the business transfers a non-restricted firearm, keep the following information in respect of the transfer:
    (a) the reference number issued by the Registrar;
    (b) the day on which the reference number was issued;
    (c) the transferee's licence number; and
    (d) the firearm's make, model and type and, if any, its serial number.
    This never went away with the long gun registry. They've always had to keep this info but it used to be until the business closed and their books were to be turned over to the CFO.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    When you say "through OIC" it gives the impression this was done like the May 1 Gun Ban, which is not the case. Yes, an OIC was used to bring these regulations into force (that's what OICs are normally used for) but the regulations themselves are part of c71 which passed through all the normal things legislation needs to get through to become law.
    The may gun ban is a regulation issued under the authority of the criminal code, which is legislation that went through all the normal processes to become law.
    The problem with the may gun ban OiC, and there are many, is that the substance of the may 1 gun ban and its rationale is flawed. There is nothing with with the fact that the goverment proclaimed the May 1 gun banning regulations by OiC.

I'm not sure I follow? This is part of c71. Which received Royal Assent in June 2019. The CSAAA has had plenty of time to read that law I would think?
    Bill C71 received royal assent in June, yes. The problem was that Bill C71 made numerous references to things that would be done by regulations. The Committee for bill C71 asked to see the proposed regulations that would come into force with Bill C71 and the government refused claiming that the regulations hadn't been written yet.

This OiC brings into force portions of Bill C71, but it also now, for the first time, publishes and will bring into force the regulations that will be issued under the Firearms Act as amended by Bill C71. So the regulations are new, and that is causing all the concern.

For example, the government claimed that the legislation does not require anyone to provide any information about firearms to the registrar when asking for a transfer number. It was pointed out at the time that this was a disingenuous move by government as the legislation did state "and any other information prescribed by regulations or requested by the registrar". The regulations clearly prescribe that information about the firearms is to be collected, and the government is also repealing the prohibition on the collection of information related to NR transfers.

Classic bait and switch.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrock View Post
    This never went away with the long gun registry. They've always had to keep this info but it used to be until the business closed and their books were to be turned over to the CFO.
    Incorrect.

Businesses have not been required to keep exact records of their Non Restricted firearm inventory, by the CFO, since 2012. The Harper government in 2012 brought in regulations that explicitly forbade the keeping of such information by anyone, at least insofar as it related to the transfer of NR firearms. I'm sure lots of Dudely Do Good gun owners, in a delusional act of 'Due Dilligence', violated this law.

Many businesses would have kept records of their inventory, just out of good business management practices, and also for insurance purposes. Businesses would also have needed to satisfy themselves that their customers were properly licensed, but were under no obligation to record their efforts to confirm licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I guess everyone is just glossing over bullet D that straight up turns this into the registry?

2) The business must record and, for a period of 20 years from the day on which the business transfers a non-restricted firearm, keep the following information in respect of the transfer:
    (a) the reference number issued by the Registrar;
    (b) the day on which the reference number was issued;
    (c) the transferee's licence number; and
    (d) the firearm's make, model and type and, if any, its serial number.
    Actually, its all of them together that makes it a registry. Well B is probably not that important.

But A is the transaction number, and the records kept under is what will link the buyers license number to a specific serial number.

This is where the Canadian manufacturers need to do themselves a favour and stop putting serial numbers on firearms.

There is no requirement in canadian law for firearms to have serial numbers, and therefore no good reason for any of our domestic manufacturers to putting serial numbers on firearms.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Murray 3-D's Avatar
    Nevermind
    Just saying it how it is.....

CGN frequent flyer
    So what happens if you order something, say today.. and the retailer takes several days to process it because of the increase in business, say it ships after the 18, now what? If it’s in stock and purchased today, does that mean it goes by todays rules no matter when it’s shipped? Retailer claims they don’t charge the card until it ships.. this could get dicey for some.
    Buyer pays shipping and insurance on any EE sale unless explicitly stated otherwise in the ad or agreed upon as part of the deal.

All posts made by me are my opinion, and you must do your own research

Deep in the Darkest Bush there is ! and Kamloops
    Really WHO Cares ?? What difference is it gonna make to Your LIFE ? Just wondering for a Friend ! RJ
    INDIGENOUS JIM - Born and Raised in British Columbia and A Canadian !

The 284 WIN - is the Original Short Magnum !

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast