Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Urgent calling all IPSC Black Badge competitors

Quote Originally Posted by 4star60 View Post
    As far as I know that is not true. We have traffic bylaws that contravene provincial laws and they are enforced. I objected and got to pay. No success!
    This right here. There are already bylaws that dictate what you can and cant do on your private property nver mind on municipal roads. Backyard fires, sprinkler systems in your home, how high your fence can be, what trees you can cut down. The point is, there will be a all kinds of things municipalities can dream up and you will be fined to death or worse if they can name it as a "Public safety issue".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    I had been thinking this too. But now I'm wondering if that's only based on other members' conjecture that the Liberals had introduced this "freeze" because it would be easier to implement than the municipal-level ban.

Can anybody clear this up?
    Is the municipal-level ban dead?
    Municipalities can make up their own bylaws that superceed provincial regulations, ie: The BC building code does not require sprinkler systems in a single family residence, some municipalities require them or no building permit for you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by BurlewLLB View Post
    Remember IPCS is being watched by the IOC for inclusion in Olympic Programs
    Perhaps it would be easier to convince the olympics to adopt IPSC then it would be to convince the liberals to give enough of a $hit over handgun sports to amend their regulations.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilidip View Post
    I've shot with hundreds of IPSC and USPSA competitors here in Canada and the USA and to me this story reeks of hard feeling and complete BS. Anybody that is a handgun owner and a sport shooter in this country was well aware of the slippery slope any bans came with. There is/was also a lot of crossover between the disciplines.
    LOL!
    Hard feelings? Yes. D’uh…
    BS? Nope. First hand experience from over a decade of competing.
    I certainly agree that “crossover” people have diff views.
    I’m talking pistol people and FUDDs.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

SAD TO SAY... but FT flags and bumper stickers only help Trudeau get elected. The moderates associate this with the Conservative agenda , the radical right. We may think it but flying FT flags and even Canadian flags on pickups isn't helping our cause. Canada WILL NOT ELECT... hard Conservative agenda.
    Money isn't everthing. It's just something needed to purchase anything.

Quote Originally Posted by saskdude99 View Post
    SAD TO SAY... but FT flags and bumper stickers only help Trudeau get elected. The moderates associate this with the Conservative agenda , the radical right. We may think it but flying FT flags and even Canadian flags on pickups isn't helping our cause. Canada WILL NOT ELECT... hard Conservative agenda.
    That was proven in Ontario ..Doug Ford won by talking softer…..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    I had expected a bigger response to this issue, it is of grave importance. I believe this really could make a difference.
    Yes this is an important initiative, the handgun sports are equally important with IPSC prob having the largest numbers of competitors.

When including the list of disciplines please do not forget to include ICORE , a small but enthusiastic group that compete with revolvers.

CGN Regular
    Let’s write our MP’s folks. Better to be heard even if we can’t stop the tide.
    Last edited by flyinlead; 06-06-2022 at 03:14 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    I had been thinking this too. But now I'm wondering if that's only based on other members' conjecture that the Liberals had introduced this "freeze" because it would be easier to implement than the municipal-level ban.

Can anybody clear this up?
    Is the municipal-level ban dead?
    The municipal ban is not dead, however, it will require provincial consent. That's where it breaks down for the Liberals

Alberta has enacted legislation in place that prevents all municipalities from enacting any new bylaw impacting firearms or firearms use without Ministerial consent. The Minister (at present) will not approve any handgun bans.

Saskatchewan went a step further and simply removed the ability for municipalities to "pass any new bylaws respecting firearms, unless otherwise provided for by regulation".

Quote Originally Posted by 73582 View Post
    Municipalities can make up their own bylaws that superceed provincial regulations, ie: The BC building code does not require sprinkler systems in a single family residence, some municipalities require them or no building permit for you.
    The answer to that is, it depends. Building Code is a great example, if BC allows that, it's nuts since any time you cross a border it's a totally new set of rules. Alberta does not allow municipalities to alter building code, we have enough issue with varying interpretation, much less varying legislation.

More critically for us, in Alberta, any new bylaws to do with firearms must be approved by the Minister. So municipal handgun bans are dead on arrival.

And now, back on topic:

Is there a coordinating body between IDPA, IPSC, PPC, DCRA, ICORE, et al.? CSSA-CILA exists, but looks more like a pro-gun lobby than a sporting association.

It would be ideal to have the executive officers of the different pistol sports associations sign a joint letter released with a joint statement supporting our cause. Especially if we could find active numbers of competitors in those sports to bolster the case.

I have a belief (but am short on evidence to support) that the shooting sports are likely the most diverse adult participation sports in Canada. And perhaps most eye-opening is the fact that significantly more Canadian adults buy hunting licenses annually than actively register for ice hockey.

CGN Regular
    I doubt the regulation will pass before the Fall. There is still some time to lobby.