Thread: Inherited a handgun..now what?

Unhappy Inherited a handgun..now what?

Hi:

Recently a member of my family passed away and left a pistol . Does anyone know what it takes for me to get it to my home when the courts name my as the estate administrator? The firearm is locked and chained at his place right now and every thing is legal. I do have my F.A.C. from 10 yrs back, but never pursued any hunting and I have no firearms at all.

I think time is of the essence here but I feel I am in the dark.Please help if you can. Thanks

Phone your CFO for what to do.
    Whatever

Go get your restricted for handguns before they try to take it from you.
    Just challenge the test.
    The cost will be only for the test (Approx $40) not the cost to upgrade your POL to a RPOL.
    Then you can buy all kinds of handguns.
    Kind of F^&ked up eh.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    GSXRMyers
    Membership thread.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=425708

"Canadians(liberals) have a sense of strategic drift there. We don't know where we're going, we don't know what the plan is, and the president said, rather amusingly, a lot of people in the White House feel exactly the same way," Mr. Ignatieff march 3/09

CGN Regular
    might want to check the classification (restricted or prohibited) just in case, if it was made before 1946 and it is prohibited it can be grandfathered to blood relatives (grandfather, father, son etc).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    Hi:

I do have my F.A.C. from 10 yrs back, but never pursued any hunting and I have no firearms at all.
    uhh, no you don't it expired about 5 years ago
    #torontoexit

Relax, as executor you have powers that specifically relate to firearms, and the law recognizes that these things do take time. But do as Stevo said and call the CFO.
    Any chance you could post pics in here? You need to know exactly what it is you've got, and what the legal ramifications might be depending on it's class.

Ditto on what stevebc said. You are allowed a "reasonable" amount of time to get yourself licensed, etc. A friend of mine died a couple of years ago and it was close to a year before his widow started getting the "get the ball rolling" notifications from the CFC, but it would be wise to start now. You will need the non-restricted license before getting the restricted one. You do have the option of getting licensed and keeping it or just selling it.
    When someone sends me text asking a question and uses "plz" instead of "please" because it's shorter, I always tell them "no" instead of "yes" because it's shorter!!!

BANNED

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Lightbulb

The National Firearms Association has papers on this issue.

From the Main Menu on the left of the NFA homepage, select NFA Resources then select Legal Issues.

NFA Resources/

Legal Issues ( 29 items )
    Information about legal issues relating to firearms in Canada.

Information for Executors regarding firearms
    http://www.nfa.ca/content/view/40/199/

INHERITANCE AND TODAY'S LAWS
    http://www.nfa.ca/content/view/246/199/

www.nfa.ca
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg