Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 142426272829303132333435363738394041424454 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the motion on Bill C-21 regulations: Freezing Handgun Transfer

CGN Regular
    Just to stay on track here...
    People are discussing two seperate things, the SECU committee and general parliment debate/voting.

To the best of my knowledge (so anyone better informed feel free to correct me)- the SECU (committee) has the option of taking up study of the bill (C-21), if they decline to do so then it can go back to Parliament for readings/voting after 30 sitting days. Or they can actively vote to not study it and it gets kicked back instantly. They, in themselves (I believe, but please confirm) don't have the power to declare an immediate freeze on transfers (since they do not have an in place law), that would have to be declared under an OIC or an amendment to existing law (not sure if the minister can just 'declare it so').

In parliament the bill has to come back from committee prior to final vote, then has to be voted and passed in the senate, and then signed into law and published.

Its not an instantaneous thing, but it can be run thru quickly with focused political willpower. Will it go thru parliment? Of course, between Justin and Jagmeet they have the votes. Will it go through the senate? Likely, but thats a different system, and they tend to avoid rubber stamping bills without lengthy reviews, because they want to be seen as useful and keep their $200k/year 'jobs'...

TLDR version- govt will take a bit of time to get everything passed and signed. Reading the tea leaves- it will eventually pass, maybe the Cons could neuter it a bit.

The cons have a leadership contest ongoing, nows the time to press the contenders to commit to repealing it when they next get on power. Worked for the long gun reg...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    You're still not getting it right. There are 2 regulatory changes in play.

The regs that are part of C-21 cannot be passed before C-21 is passed by the house and the Senate. These are expected to be in place in the fall.

The regs that are before SECU are separate and attempt to freeze handguns using current law and OIC changes. These were the ones we were afraid would pass last week. But now they also are likely to have to wait until fall.

It's a race, once either one gets through, handgun registrations stop.
    --BattleRife

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the clarification. One further question, is the "option to study" portion that is infront of the SECU the c-21 bill, and freezing handgun transfers is from a different bill (c-???) thats already en-acted? Or are they trying to select a portion of c-21 and recommend the minister/PM invoke an OIC until it passes parliament? If its the former, does the committee have the power to revise previous legislation on their own? (Basically, what existing law are they claiming allows a committee to ban transfers/sales)

As of 9pm there is no SECU meeting scheduled for tomorrow. Just to recap SECU meet every Tues and Thurs, they normally post the upcoming meeting a day or two in advance-but they do skip meetings on a fairly regular basis. So it looks like there will be no meeting tomorrow, leaving just a possible meeting on Thursday before parliament rests for the summer (til Sept 19th).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadringer View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. One further question, is the "option to study" portion that is infront of the SECU the c-21 bill, and freezing handgun transfers is from a different bill (c-???) thats already en-acted? Or are they trying to select a portion of c-21 and recommend the minister/PM invoke an OIC until it passes parliament? If its the former, does the committee have the power to revise previous legislation on their own? (Basically, what existing law are they claiming allows a committee to ban transfers/sales)
    The option to study is on a regulation filed May 30th. This is separate from the bill.

The firearms act lays out how the government can make amendments to the act by regulation without a bill. Section 118(1)-(5) of the Firearms Act explains how the regulation can be passed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The Liberals have added 5 more hours of debate of C-21 at second reading in the House of Commons between now and Thursday, the final day before summer break.
    Last edited by soulchaser; 06-21-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    Member: CSSA

What am I thinking........? If I wanted you to know, I'd be talking!

Yesterdays debate is posted here.
    https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentVi...ing-92/hansard
    I haven’t read it all yet…

Just got my notice today I am officially a handgun owner, beyond excited to get at least something before the ban

“The urgency of this bill is clear, but unfortunately since the government has stated its intention to pass Bill C-21 into law, we have seen a spike in the number of handgun sales across the country. By introducing additional regulations, the government is preventing a surge in handgun purchases in the period between now and when it is passed, which is the right approach to ensure that the bill is not aiming at a moving target”.

Reading the debate notes it feels like people should be buying handguns off the black market. Seems like no one is seriously interested in tackling root causes of violent crime, imposing serious penalties, rather using the issue for political posturing and gathering of election votes. Would be interesting to see a study compare the estimated black market sales pre and post ban.

The other thing that crossed my mind is the arguments made in regards to hunting vs sports shooting. Something along the lines of -I can see the point of a hunting rifle but not handgun or sports rifle”. If you eliminate the target shooting or associated sports (ie. ipsc) I anticipate there will be a surge in new hunters, so I wonder how that will affect big game populations and hunting practices. I think that hunters will be surprised that they will be indirectly impacted as well.