Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the motion on Bill C-21 regulations: Freezing Handgun Transfer

Could someone please tell me what SECU stands for?

Thanks.

CGN Regular
    Here's my e-mail, please feel free to propose edits.

If you use my e-mail to inform your own, please make changes to make it personal as this is being written from a personal point of view.
    It will lose impact otherwise.

It follows:

Dear Committee Members,

I am writing you today to ask you for something.

As you are no doubt aware, there is much discussion about our firearms legislation in Canada. I'm not writing you on behalf of everyone - today I am writing you for myself and to put forward one personal case.

I have voted for each of your parties at some point or another in my life, and I am writing to all of you collectively and equally in hopes that all of you will prove worthy of that confidence again.

First off, I do not expect you to be personally familiar with all of Canada's Firearms regulations.
    Many of you will not have personally navigated the system.
    To that end, I'll highlight a few high points related to my words below:

-It is illegal to possess, much less use, a firearm of any kind (with the exception of very few *expensive* antiques) in Canada.

-The regulations have a provision for granting an exception to this rule, and that is our licensing system.

-Certain antique models are deemed 'non-firearms' and thus not subject to regulation

- Under these same regulations, the reproductions of certain antiques are handled the same as modern guns and thus subject to careful regulation

I, and many of my friends, share a passion for historical objects.
    This began at a young age, I believe my grandparents were responsible for sparking the interest and it is a connection with them that I fondly recall.

I do not consider myself a rich person, I have a modest and inconsistent income from a contract position within the tech industry. I am lucky, though, in that I am able to enjoy some very specific hobbies in a safe manner and environment because our current laws allow it.

Namely, I am currently allowed to purchase and interact with reproductions of antique firearms so long as I have the license to do so, and so long as I meet the legal safety standards.
    I could examine them in my home and I can take them to a club for target shooting.

For as long as I can remember, I have regarded these antique firearms as functional, sculptural art.While I understand that not everyone shares that same view, I am sure everyone can understand and plainly see that my interest is historical and deeply personal, that it has deep meaning to me and that it is directly related to my happiness and personal wellbeing of mind. I am sure you personally hold something in similar esteem, a gift from a parent or loved one perhaps.

It is well beyond my financial ability to afford an expensive original & antique firearm at the present time. Even if I did, I would not be inclined to interact much with it due to the deleterious nature of messing with an antique. What this means for me, and many others, is that the reproductions of these antiques are the best way to interact with these objects. For me, due to necessary financial restraint, they will be my *only* way.

If you vote in favor of freezing transfers, you will undermine my access to happiness, my self-expression and my ability to reach self-actualization. The options that are presently within my reach will be taken from my purview and I will never be allowed to interact with an object and hobby that I hold dearly.

Please imagine, for a moment, the things that you personally enjoy and hold dear.
    Imagine yourself in these circumstances. I think you will agree that the uncertainty and limitations on the paths you want to take would be as distressing and stressful for you are they are now to me and others.

I put it to you that the motion that will be put forward on the 14th to immediately freeze transfers is not necessary, is unfairly punitive and it will adversely affect me and many people I know.

Many of the firearms being transferred are for reproductions of antiques or objects of sentimental value being passed from one person to another, possibly and probably for the last time. People attempting a transfer are people merely making a move on what may be their last, good hope of self actualization and interaction with objects they see as having historical or aesthetic value.There are people who are attempting to sell family heirlooms in the hopes of equity and of passing down generational wealth.
    In my case, it has been impossible for financial reasons to make a move on buying these guns before now, and as it is now my last chance and it is only natural that I (and anyone else that shares my interest) would make hay while the sun shines. There is no reason to punish this behavior in this manner.

The consequence of this is that personal transfers have been backlogged, I have not been able to successfully acquire the objects of my desire yet, and that the official and legal channels for doing so have been overwhelmed. People trying to pass their sentimental object and their inheritances down have had incredible difficulty in doing so.

Of the transfers that are for 'modern' guns - those guns were already within the country and already registered with businesses, their transfer has no impact on the 'availability' of handguns. They were already here and available. There is no reason to fear their purchase and their availability was already of no consequence. Freezing the transfers or confiscation might well consolidate them in a place that makes them more susceptible to theft and misuse.

I beg you to vote in AGAINST immediately freezing transfers.
    It is undemocratic and unfair to do so.
    It would personally grieve me, and many others, for you to do so.
    It would prevent myself and many I know from using legal channels to interact with a safe and fulfilling hobby.
    It will prevent people from passing on historical family heirlooms, sentimental objects and generational wealth.

Thank you for taking the time to hear me and review my words.
    All the best to you,
    *Signature*
    Last edited by Taffer; 06-10-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo M View Post
    Could someone please tell me what SECU stands for?

Thanks.
    The Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security reviews

CGN Regular
    It also has to pass the Senate committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmaple View Post
    It also has to pass the Senate committee.
    Rubber stamp chumps.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Does it actually come into affect immediately? I thought that was the reason for the unanimous vote (that failed) so the result of this would have a timeline attached to it.

Done.
    HOW TO STOP DRUNK DRIVERS FROM KILLING SOBER DRIVERS? BAN SOBER DRIVERS FROM DRIVING. THAT'S EXACTLY HOW GUN CONTROL WORKS.

Boys & girls, it’s over, we have lost.

CGN Regular
    Unless a handgun transfer is completed by the the CFO before the regulation passes, you can forget it.. If you paid for a handgun you will just have to get your money back.

If the House Committee passes the regulation on the 14th, the corresponding Senate Committee will have to do the same before the regulation is in force. Not sure when that will happen. I am willing to bet that it will be no later than when the MPs stop for the summer break - June 23rd. If you don't think your handgun transfer will be complete by then, maybe you should not bother.
    Last edited by Redmaple; 06-10-2022 at 02:15 PM.