Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2434363738394041424344454647484950515254 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the motion on Bill C-21 regulations: Freezing Handgun Transfer

CGN Regular
    They do put in provisions that make it much more difficult to repeal the bill in the future, but its certainly not impossible. If the politicians have the will, then it can be done (either repeal or alter the law, altering is often easier, change "anyone with a restricted firearm gets 10 years in jail" to "anyone with a restricted firearm gets an espresso"...) But it does depend on the political will, and if Eein Ima'Toole showed anything, its that the cons are as superficial and politically wishwashy as the libs.

Larger picture, politically things are pretty active for the summer.
    Libs are being pushed on the Emergencies Act call.
    Lucki, Blair and Trudeau are taking a beating with the NS shooting
    (And when even the CBC is pushing that version there are serious issues. You see it in the states right now with the media abandoning Brandon).
    On the other end, you have the Libs promising to reduce what students have to pay back from wrongly applied for Cerb funds (Remember, the Libs have power only due to an agreement with Parjeet to support them, the Libs offering college kids reduced payments is a Lib advance into the NDP's most reliable voter base, in a Westminster parliment system, the second party in the minority nearly always gets wiped out in the next election, maybe someone in the NDP will stumble across that fact before they go too long supporting the Libs).

Then add in the economy/recession. There are enough major factors involved that this will be neither transitory nor mild. Do the libs try to ride out another 3 years of massive decrease in quality of life, or do they announce a bunch of measures this summer and then pull the trigger on another election by triggering a no-confidence vote this fall (to do so would involve them cutting the legs out from under the NDP)? Unlikely, but its all thought of in political terms, not whats would be good for the people.

Lots of bills die in parliament, even when their is no real reason for them to do so. If the cons can keep CBC tying this bill to Libs political interference in NS, then it becomes less about it being a "hard on crime" bill and more about liberal unethical behavior (sorry about the redundancy).

Its not over until its passed and signed. Western democracies are driven by the loud and opinionated minority. Keep talking with the MPs, be positive to those that actually fight the bill (and encourage them to talk on CBC/mainstream media, not just in parliament). Feel free to email the NDP MPs, either politely pointing out the missing logic of the bill (its superficial, lets them say they were tough on crime without doing anything to help, make further firearm based bills tougher to pass, even effective ones like "those caught with an unregistered restricted firearm will get it shoved up their ass..."). I think all the Libs will just vote for it, but in a rural riding or one where the MP is retiring, it might be worth the effort. The party's control over the MPs comes down to election support and funding, those disappear when they aren't seeking re-election.

GunNutz
    Not to single out a single shooting sport, but Black Badge holders having 'elite shooter' status would be useful.

CGN Regular
    It would be far, far more useful if anyone who has attended a Mapleseed shoot, or an organized range day, to be considered an elite shooter.

Its all about how you define the term, is a 30rnd AR mag high capacity or standard capacity? Lets not get into the whole "what is a woman?" conversation (unless your a biologist)...

I was a professional athlete for over a decade, it sure as hell didn't happen the first time I set foot on the field, so where was the switch from casual to elite?

This would actually solve our problem with the restricted firearms. If the cons could get an amendment stating "any competitive shooter" was allowed to have little pews, and you need a range membership to have little pews, then we just make a competition at each range (who can have the 20shot grouping that most resembles the baby jesus, competition period Jan 1 to Dec 31)

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadringer View Post
    It would be far, far more useful if anyone who has attended a Mapleseed shoot, or an organized range day, to be considered an elite shooter.

Its all about how you define the term, is a 30rnd AR mag high capacity or standard capacity? Lets not get into the whole "what is a woman?" conversation (unless your a biologist)...

I was a professional athlete for over a decade, it sure as hell didn't happen the first time I set foot on the field, so where was the switch from casual to elite?

This would actually solve our problem with the restricted firearms. If the cons could get an amendment stating "any competitive shooter" was allowed to have little pews, and you need a range membership to have little pews, then we just make a competition at each range (who can have the 20shot grouping that most resembles the baby jesus, competition period Jan 1 to Dec 31)
    That's a great idea. I know we are all about having more public range days at our range, even beyond the National Range days, then we can explain such benefits in person with a guided tour and talk about safety being #1.

CGN Regular
    Wrong priorities.
    #1 Justin is better than god.
    #2 ?????
    #3 Safety (or was it profit?)

Anybody here falls under his jurisdiction?

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.17.50 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by relayer1989 View Post
    It could definitely be rolled back. The question is whether the Conservatives would attempt it which is why we need to keep pressure on them. Libs use this as a political wedge. They know that the public due to their ignorance on the issue mostly support their measures. We see Conservatives supporting the Red Flag laws in the Bill, except for a few that have spoken out.

If Conservatives regain power, at a minimum I'd expect them to expand the definition of "elite shooter". Even Alistair MacGregor (NDP) said the elite shooter definition will likely expand before the Third Reading.
    I think an elite shooter should be anyone who has legal handguns.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Soheil View Post
    my question is, when this bill turns into law, is the next government able to do something about it? can they revoke it or make changes to it?
    there is nothing we can do to stop this from happening, but hoping the next conservative government in 3 years can do something about it, must be very difficult to change something that has voted to become a law. any idea?
    If the Conservatives want to see another cent from me or another vote they will work backwards to undo the enormous damage the Libs have done to this country, which is to say first by repealing C-21 in its entirety. Shouldn't take more than 2 shakes of a lamb's tail.
    Wad now going to the CPC rather than gun lobby groups. You can't fix stupid.

Makes me feel like I wanna puke when I think I have to breathe liberals air for another 3 years. Hoping for an early election to happen.
    Go team trudope destroy Canada faster

Quote Originally Posted by Soheil View Post
    Makes me feel like I wanna puke when I think I have to breathe liberals air for another 3 years. Hoping for an early election to happen.
    Go team trudope destroy Canada faster
    An election is not likely before fall of 2025. I think both NDP and LPC know that considering the current circumstances that the election outcome would not be in their favour.