Thread: Military Sleeping Bags.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar

Military Sleeping Bags.

We have received a shipment of Dutch military sleeping bags.

We have about 7 different types based on condition and sizes.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar

We had one more pallet of these bags, however we cannot find then anymore at a good price worth bringing in. They are an amazing bag, but when prices are going in excess of $300 USD for a basic one, its unlikely that there will be a market here in Canada anymore.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Firearms View Post

We had one more pallet of these bags, however we cannot find then anymore at a good price worth bringing in. They are an amazing bag, but when prices are going in excess of $300 USD for a basic one, its unlikely that there will be a market here in Canada anymore.
    What's the difference on grade1 and grade2 on the bivy sacks? Are they waterproof?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
    What's the difference on grade1 and grade2 on the bivy sacks? Are they waterproof?
    A bivy would be pointless if it wasn't waterproof

So, yes it's WP

Whether "surplus" ones are still waterproof is another question, all goretex fabric delaminates with time

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Big JD-From the hills's Avatar
    Grade 1 is supposed to be mostly undamaged/good shape. I decided a while back to buy the us cold weather bag, and more recently the patrol bag. I understand the concept of the bivi, but would rather bring a tarp or something more versatile for shelter.

The patrol bag didn't have a description/grade, the cold weather bag was supposed to be grade 1. I was super pleased with the patrol bag, was great shape. It packs down in this small heavyduty British surpluss stuff sack really nicely, and with a combined weight under 3lbs..... and is warmer than you would think when first handling it.(anything above freezing no problem with decent shelter)

The cold weather bag appeared to be in excellent shape. But the zipper is all wonkey, it's been sewn on unevenly and bunched up like an acordian for lack of a better description. Super frustrating to use. It's over 4lbs all on its own.

I bet the Dutch summer weight bag is a premium unit. I should of picked up a usmc patrol bag when I had the chance. Center zipper seems like a better way to do it.

I wish Frontier could get ahold of more usmc kit!
    Last edited by Big JD-From the hills; 06-22-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Firearms View Post

Considering Varustelka has had this exact system for almost $130 cheaper, with competitive shipping (and it comes from Finland!) in the last couple months, I think you should probably knock the fear mongering off. You guys really should be ashamed of yourselves. This FOMO garbage you pull on every post is tiring and I feel bad for those that eat it up without even googling what you claim.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chanrobi View Post
    A bivy would be pointless if it wasn't waterproof

So, yes it's WP

Whether "surplus" ones are still waterproof is another question, all goretex fabric delaminates with time
    Not sure why my question generated attitude. A used bivy may well be useless if it is too worn, that's why I asked.

I purchased the Canadian cold weather sleep system and I love it. I'd like a tuff enough bivy to protect the bags that I have.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Well, instead of bickerin' over Bivvy's Ya'll could just get a Non-Military Sleeping system...something like This
    ---> lmao - gotta be the stupidest thing Ive seen in awhile...oddly enuff, it may work ok lol