Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: We are Hiring! -Accepting Applications Canada-Wide

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEN403 View Post
    Why does that seem to bother so many people. The salary in this type of position could vary widely dependant upon background, skill set and general demeanor. Rather than balk at no listed salary, why not make a case for your abilities and understand the old adage "you don't get paid what your worth, you get paid what you negotiate for."

Positivity will win the job if I was hiring... I can teach someone additionally required skills... but a great attitude and less worrying about issues you cannot control and have no right to determine would show the job poster that you are worth the time and energy to entertain your potential employment.

Just my 2 cents.
    +1

More than what you can negotiate I'd say it's what you're worth. The problem when posting a salary range is you get this really young person in, great communicator, super positive attitude, and you think to yourself "I'd like to take a chance on this person, but they have no history, so not at the posted salary". Then you have to drop them cause they expect the posted salary range.

Posted salary range is for bus drivers and gas station employees, not for sales.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zortron View Post
    There is a surplus of jobs of this type and a deficit of workers. If a business actually wants to find labour they should post the level of compensation they are offering.

If they don't they're wasting applicants' time as well as their own.
    They're not wasting anyone's time - you don't like it, don't apply for it! Easy!

And I'd actually argue they're saving time - by doing it this way they weed out all the people who only care about a stable job with a stable salary, and leave themselves with the people who want to prove themselves and have an upside.

And if you're right about the supply and demand in the labour market, that's their issue, and if they missed the mark they can adjust later.

Employee/employer relationships are like a marriage - both sides need to be happy. It's not about what you want, it's about what works for both. And if this doesn't work for you, it's like Tinder - swipe for the next one.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon_ha View Post
    Sounds like you’re lowballing and hoping someone will undervalue themselves. A salary range shows more than just what you consider appropriate, it shows something of the company itself.
    Of course they are. You think any company outside government or government related does otherwise?

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinytitan View Post
    No people are tired of being low balled and wasting time in interviews. There's been a shift in attitude and it's a good thing. Post a salary range at least. If companies can't adapt good luck, companies would attempt to pay zero if they could if not for min wage
    It's a sales job!! You're paid DIRECTLY in line with what you bring in. A top tier performing salesperson is worth more than any other staff at the company, and their compensation will reflect this. The deserved compensation of a salesperson can be anywhere from zero to millions per year, so posting a hard salary is irrelevant and counterproductive.

BANNED
    Job postings without a salary posted are like gun ads without pictures, waste of time 99% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytitan View Post
    No people are tired of being low balled and wasting time in interviews. There's been a shift in attitude and it's a good thing. Post a salary range at least. If companies can't adapt good luck, companies would attempt to pay zero if they could if not for min wage
    This. I’m not taking the time to write a nice cover letter, attend an interview and then find out I’d be taking a massive pay cut. Waste of both parties time.

CGN Regular
    Negotiating your value is one thing but if the employer and I aren't even reading the same book, nevermind on the same page, I'm not going to take hours to put in a quality application. Too many companies want everything for nothing in a market begging for employees.

The classic sales tactic. First one to say a number usually loses

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Imports View Post
    Compensation is variable, based on experience and education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Imports View Post
    Individuals' salary requirements are requested in the cover letter as per posting. We are open minded to varying levels of qualified applicants, we do not have a "set salary" so to speak.
    Ouch. Wow...

You just set yourself up for pain. A lot of it.

That salary range weeds out 60% of the applicants who are going to fail anyways. I've been there. Been the hiring manager where the boss refused to set a salary range up front. It was at the time a $55-65K expected salary with a $65K industry average and there were people making it close to the last interviews, perfect candidates, even one who was basically offered the job from the beginning who expected $100K plus to leave their good $85K position. One guy said he'd need 3 months because he had been at his old job so long he had to use up 9 weeks unused paid leave (vacation, overtime, sick leave etc), and that's when I knew every one of the "best" applicants weren't going to take the job.

Plus, "undisclosed salary" also sounds like no one at your company can discuss their salaries among each other because lowballing the employees is standard practice for you. I have seen where companies implode over that: one guy doing remote work in Alberta is getting twice what a different person in Nova Scotia is getting for the same job.

You might get someone good, you might not... but you must be a masochist to go the antiquated method.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Salary ranges are not beneficial. It will scare away top performers, and will convince inexperienced candidates that they're worth more than they are.
    I'm in the video game industry. A Producer could get paid 45K, but another Producer could make $150K. Posting said salary range would be pointless and only attract the wrong individuals.

It's funny to watch all you lazy saps go on about not wasting your time. I'm certain they weren't interested in you, anyway. If you don't have a resume handy and have to write one up, you're a degenerate imo and not who they're looking for. If you have to spend hours writing up a cover letter, you're probably not a quick concise communicator.. very important in a sales gig. If you're unwilling to SELL YOURSELF TO THE COMPANY, you're probably not who they want in sales.