Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spearhead Machine Barrel Tuner

Only desert in Canada overlooking the Thompson River.
    Next up will be some 10-shot groups at 50 and 100m to see what results can be achieved with this tuner. Just need a day without wind for consistent results. Stay tuned!

Impressed with the shipping from these guys: within 45 minutes of the order being placed, the package was in the mail. Arrived a couple days later. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but initial impressions are that 1) it's quite a big bigger than I had expected, and 2) machining, fit, and finish are excellent. Impressed thus far, thanks!

Business Member Spearhead Machine's Avatar
    Hello Lafar

Thank you graciously for your support and kind words.

We do our best to ship same day if we can make the cut off from post office. If not next day for sure. It is very important to us for shooters to get their products as soon as possible.

No worries Lafar, should you have any issues or not satisfied for any reason, please contact us and we will take care of you. Any questions please don't hesitate to contact us, we're here for you.

Thank you for making us a part of your shooting excellence.

Cheers.

So I'm now testing the Spearhead Brake/Tuner combo. Test rifle is a Savage Axis II Precision in .243, pretty much an entry level rifle for competition. To date, I've had no issues with how accurate this rifle has been. I've initially been shooting with a Spearhead 4 port self timing brake on this rifle and can't say enough about the great quality products that Kevin and Will produce. So when the brake/tuner combo arrived, I decided I'd undertake some initial testing on my .243. I'm shooting hand loads using Hornady 105 gr A-Max bullets set into Federal cases. Our 100 yard range berm with meter target is 96m so that is the distance all of my rounds have been fired at.

July 23 was initial testing, a few shots to sight in as I had cleaned the barrel a few days earlier. As you can see the 1st two targets were 3-shot with brake only (and I know that many profess that a true test is a minimum of 5 rounds, which I may get to as the tuning process continues) unless otherwise noted on the targets. So once I removed the brake and tuner out of the box, I again must comment on the great quality, fit and finish of the Spearhead products, they are excellent. Once fitted I set out to test and tune. The July 23 targets showed the best accuracy at 5.2 Node setting which was 5 compete rotations and then starting to fine tune. At this point I was out of ammo, so it was back to the reloading room.

So I've now got some new reloads built and it's back to the range on Aug. 13. Temperature was considerably warmer but no wind so I felt it was ideal weather to test the next round of tuning. After the decent groups at the 5.2 node setting in July I decided to continue starting at 5.2 and then moving up 0.1 setting per 3-shot group. Initial 5.4 node setting showed promise but the last 5-shot groups at the 5.4 node setting didn't produce the consistency I was hoping for, in part it may be responsible for the person pulling the trigger, not mentioning any names LOL. I also had adjusted the OAL for 10 bullets when reloading to see if I could obtain more accuracy but as you can see the last 2 targets with 5 shots each didn't improve on the previous results. Time to call it a day as the temperature was getting somewhat too hot in the low 30's.

So I took the remaining bullets at longer OAL and reset them to 2.786" length. Aug. 15 weather was going to definitely be hot with forecasting into the high 30's and maybe even low 40's so I hit the range pretty early. Sunny day and wind was 2kph so not an issue at 96m. I started where I left off at the 5.4 node setting which showed promise. And this time I shot 2 targets of 3-shots each to obtain a better reading on the results. As you can see the 5.8 node setting has shown real promise but now I'm out of bullets. So back to the reloading room, tumble 100 cases and anneal for next round of reloads. I will be back once this weather cools off somewhat hopefully back down to low 30's as daytime temps. Anyway, I am enjoying playing with the brake/tuner combo and look forward to obtaining even better results.

Anyone thinking about how well this combo will work can see the initial results I've obtained and I'm a rookie to the precision game but it sure the heck is a lot of fun. Stay tuned, no pun intended as I will be posting more results. And a Canadian made product for a few bucks, what not to like!
    Last edited by waynewjw; 08-16-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Business Member Spearhead Machine's Avatar
    Hey waynewjw,

Thank you for the kind words, we're super stoked you're enjoying the tuner brake combo and its working out for you. Looks like a solid node at 5.2

Thank you once again for the opportunity to be a part of your shooting excellence. Cheers.

CGN Regular

5.8 looks like the promising mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12