Thread: Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 $399.95

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 $399.95

Just took mine apart and it is in absolutely immaculate condition. The barrel under the wood is a deep blue - deeper than I've ever seen on any modern rifle - with no rust. Every part is spotless, despite the wood showing its age. This is a remarkably well preserved rifle.

Interestingly, it also has the crest of the Lucerne Rifle Club (Schützengesellschaft der Stadt Luzern), so it was privatized at some point and then went on to shoot competitions in Switzerland.

Thanks very much for discovering this amazing piece of history.
    "Canadians, in this fateful hour, I command you and I trust you to fight as you have ever fought with all your strength, with all your determination, with all your tranquil courage." Sir Arthur William Currie

Can the cartridge be found in North America?
    “Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” Sun Tzu, Art of War 475-221 B.C.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Painkillers View Post
    Was wondering the same. I think the current ammo could not be used in the older rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Painkillers View Post
    I'm sure in the US/Europe, but I've never seen it in Canada. But pretty easy to reload using modern Swiss brass. Just have to watch your charges. These are old rifles.
    "Canadians, in this fateful hour, I command you and I trust you to fight as you have ever fought with all your strength, with all your determination, with all your tranquil courage." Sir Arthur William Currie

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCap View Post
    Was wondering the same. I think the current ammo could not be used in the older rifle?
    No - definitely shouldn't use modern ammo, or K11/31 ammo. The original is a lighter load and it would beat the hell out of the lugs. But light reloads will do it. Lots of recipes online.